Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K11: Starting Five Roster Ratings

2K Sent us the overall ratings for every player in each team's starting five. Give the list a look through and let us know what you think! Did 2K rate your team right? Any surprises? Let us know!

NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 501 MeanMrMustard @ 09/25/10 09:38 AM
lol... come on 2K. Again with rating Dirk the same as guys like David Lee, and only 2 points higher than Caron Butler? Oh, and worse than Gerald Wallace and Stephen Jackson.

It seems what's lacking is any kind of separation between the upper-tier but *not-quite-LeBron* guys and the ones you think of as being good-not-great. Fandom dictates I have to harp on Dirk as my example, but there's a ton of potential HOF types that are getting lumped in with guys who aren't even a lock for the ASG every year. What gives?

# 502 RubenDouglas @ 09/25/10 09:45 AM
2k should release what goes into an overall rating.. maybe a great midrange is valued less than offensive awareness, speed, quickness, or vertical.

Ie. Player one could be rated 4 points higher in overall rating simply because he has +5speed, and +5vertical, with everything else the same.

I can see why I avoided this thread for this long. Logic is thrown out when people start talking numbers

# 503 MeanMrMustard @ 09/25/10 09:53 AM
Oh, and to the several people who have argued "as long as they play like they do in real life.. what's the difference?"

These ratings are part of the reason Franchise Mode trades are so jacked up, imo. Guys like Dirk and Paul Pierce are in the Would Not Be Traded Under Any Circumstances echelon of player, not lumped in with the SJax and Carlos Boozers of the world. They need to be rated accordingly, otherwise it's perfectly defensible for the CPU to swap Dirk (83 PF) for Josh Smith (83 PF). Hell, if anything, the AI might think it was a steal for the Mavs to land Smith, given that he's younger.

# 504 Gosens6 @ 09/25/10 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMrMustard
Oh, and to the several people who have argued "as long as they play like they do in real life.. what's the difference?"

These ratings are part of the reason Franchise Mode trades are so jacked up, imo. Guys like Dirk and Paul Pierce are in the Would Not Be Traded Under Any Circumstances echelon of player, not lumped in with the SJax and Carlos Boozers of the world. They need to be rated accordingly, otherwise it's perfectly defensible for the CPU to swap Dirk (83 PF) for Josh Smith (83 PF). Hell, if anything, the AI might think it was a steal for the Mavs to land Smith, given that he's younger.
Trading Logic
With Player Valuation complete, replacing the Trading Logic system was the obvious next step in our revamp of the under-the-hood AI systems. The first thing we did to help teams was to help them identify who they should and shouldn’t keep on their teams. Much of this is handled by the Roster Building system described above, but another safeguard that was used in the game is the addition of a new ‘Player Role’, called the ‘Core’ role.

Core players are guys like Kobe, Wade, LeBron, D. Howard, etc. These are guys that are so valuable to their team, that a trade involving one of these players is incredibly unlikely. I’m not here to tell you that you can no longer trade for these players, but I can tell you the CPU will be much, much stingier in parting with a Core player. In fact, they’ll demand one in return. Don’t expect to package two 82-rated players and grab a Core player in return. Not happening this year.

Beyond the addition of the Core role, the system now features new logic that can be best described as, “do I really need this player?” If you are trying to make a trade with the Jazz where the best player they are getting back is a point guard, they aren’t going to be overly interested as they now have the knowledge that they already have a Deron Williams filling the starting PG slot. When you offer a trade to a CPU team, that team will assess what their lineup looks like pre-trade as well as post-trade. This alone gives the CPU a tremendous amount of knowledge that it did not have in the past. In fact, prior to NBA 2K11, the trade system would simply look at the value of the items being swapped and make the deal if the values were close enough. This is how you ended up with CPU teams trading for stars at positions they already had stars at. I’m pleased to say this is no longer an issue with NBA 2K11.

# 505 idrisguitar @ 09/25/10 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Trading Logic
With Player Valuation complete, replacing the Trading Logic system was the obvious next step in our revamp of the under-the-hood AI systems. The first thing we did to help teams was to help them identify who they should and shouldn’t keep on their teams. Much of this is handled by the Roster Building system described above, but another safeguard that was used in the game is the addition of a new ‘Player Role’, called the ‘Core’ role.

Core players are guys like Kobe, Wade, LeBron, D. Howard, etc. These are guys that are so valuable to their team, that a trade involving one of these players is incredibly unlikely. I’m not here to tell you that you can no longer trade for these players, but I can tell you the CPU will be much, much stingier in parting with a Core player. In fact, they’ll demand one in return. Don’t expect to package two 82-rated players and grab a Core player in return. Not happening this year.

Beyond the addition of the Core role, the system now features new logic that can be best described as, “do I really need this player?” If you are trying to make a trade with the Jazz where the best player they are getting back is a point guard, they aren’t going to be overly interested as they now have the knowledge that they already have a Deron Williams filling the starting PG slot. When you offer a trade to a CPU team, that team will assess what their lineup looks like pre-trade as well as post-trade. This alone gives the CPU a tremendous amount of knowledge that it did not have in the past. In fact, prior to NBA 2K11, the trade system would simply look at the value of the items being swapped and make the deal if the values were close enough. This is how you ended up with CPU teams trading for stars at positions they already had stars at. I’m pleased to say this is no longer an issue with NBA 2K11.
this doesn't explain how they choose core players though. the AI controlled team has core played, but has 2k labelled these before hand?

if so then dirk and pierce will be fine. but if the AI choose their core players as simply the highest rated then it will still leave the same problem.

i know why dirk is 83. his defense is low, his agressiveness, blocking, etc. is low and rightly so (im a mavs fan) but his offsense should be in the top 5 without doubt.

# 506 stillfeelme @ 09/25/10 11:03 AM
Here is my take on the most debated players;

"Jennings is underated" I have to disagree if he improves his jumpshot his ratings will go up. The guy shoots 37% from the floor from 2pt range that is horrible, that is good 37.4% from 3pt range. That is very strange so his mid range jumpshot can't be rated that high. He is really an explosive leaper but you haven't seen it much in NBA action. Defense avg, strength the guy is small and thin. His strengths right now is his quickness and handles.

"Durant is underated" I have to disagree 91 is damn high right about right. Durant isn't rated higher mainly because he doesn't have a solid post game and is not very strong and hasn't shown much passing skills. He is asked to shoot the ball and that is what he does. He is an ok defender but as a distribitor he has not shown much at all 2.8 assist per game to 3.3 turnovers a game is not good. His strengths all involve shooting, his mid range great, 3pt great, FT great. He is a one dimensional right now but he is great. I say this to say in the game he will be great to use

# 507 nickymo_13 @ 09/25/10 12:21 PM
Kevin Durant rated lower than Melo? That's interesting.

# 508 moemoe24 @ 09/25/10 12:36 PM
Come on with John wall being an 81. That is way too high.

# 509 2KALLDAYY!! @ 09/25/10 12:41 PM
this is bull as a okc fan i gotta say russell westbrook 81 i dnt think so he had a great year last year and he also had a great playoff for his first time cum on 2k atleast 85 for him
also brandon jennings 75 wut the hell is tht jennings was the top 2 rookies last year and he made playoffs he shld be in high 70s and cum on why is john wall already 81 he is a great player but give his nba career a chance he should be 78
also why chris paul 95 he is not better than dwill (92) in my opinion and plus hes not close that close wade (97) kobe (97)

# 510 spottieottiedop @ 09/25/10 12:49 PM
Not complaining 'bout my Hawks, because after some adjustments J. Smith will be at 85 and Horford 80.

# 511 Microsoft_Works @ 09/25/10 02:02 PM
Has anyone found any of the classic team ratings?

# 512 convince @ 09/25/10 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy187
Although I'm a Magic fan and you coud call it biased but Nelson 75, Lewis 76, Pietrus 72 and Howard 88? Really? Nelson is the one of the best point guards in the East with Rondo and Rose and in the NBA and he's 75? He should be up in the high 80s. Lewis should be the same as Vince Carter or even 82 and Pietrus should be 79 at the least. Dwight is the best defensive player in the leauge and he's 88? No he should be 90. And how the hell is Melo 93? His best attribute is attacking the rim and then what? These boys better fix up the ratings. They're damn inaccurate
Nelson is spot on. He didn't show anything against the Celtics until they were about to get eliminated. He had one maybe two good games in that series. He should be rated higher than Brandon Jennings. Jennings should be at least an 80. And by the way Melo does more than just attack the rim, he has one of the best mid-range jumpers in the NBA. He takes more jumpers than anything else he does. And Lewis an 82? What does he do besides shoot three? Let me tell what he doesn't do. He doesn't rebound, he doesn't attack the rim, he doesn't play defense and he has no post game, but he's rarely in the post. Look, he has all the tools to be a constant all-star but he that's just not his game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottieottiedop
Not complaining 'bout my Hawks, because after some adjustments J. Smith will be at 85 and Horford 80.
I'm pretty sure these aren't the final ratings b/c the at ronnie 2k has this video on his twitter page interviewing Josh Smith at the launch party and he told Josh that he was rated an 87 in the game. And since most players want to know their ratings in the game I'm sure that one the first things he did when went to the party.

No game will ever get the ratings where everyone agrees. It just not going to happen.

# 513 gamerkid421 @ 09/25/10 03:24 PM
kind of mad at brewers rating but ol well lol

# 514 10yard-Fight @ 09/25/10 04:27 PM
not a bucks fan... but brandon jennings 75??? i hope that changes...

# 515 rambo187 @ 09/25/10 06:41 PM
Dirk is an 83 and tim duncan is a 90?????????????????? Seriously? And wtf why is kevin durant a 91??? Obviously nobody watched the FEBA world championships!! Highest scoring average ever. Listen to espn radio, watch sportscenter, etc,. Not only do people think kd is just as good as kobe wade and lebron, but quite a few people consider him to be the best player in the league, including myself. He is clearly the best pure shooter in the league, and to those of you that say he isnt any good on D, u didnt watch the playoffs! He did a great job defending kobe. Wake up people!

# 516 Travdalaker @ 09/25/10 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo187
Dirk is an 83 and tim duncan is a 90?????????????????? Seriously? And wtf why is kevin durant a 91??? Obviously nobody watched the FEBA world championships!! Highest scoring average ever. Listen to espn radio, watch sportscenter, etc,. Not only do people think kd is just as good as kobe wade and lebron, but quite a few people consider him to be the best player in the league, including myself. He is clearly the best pure shooter in the league, and to those of you that say he isnt any good on D, u didnt watch the playoffs! He did a great job defending kobe. Wake up people!
I think most of the ratings are fair... Give or take a few points of course...

# 517 rambo187 @ 09/25/10 07:45 PM
Honestly, there should only be one player with a high 90 rating and that is mj. There shouldn't be a single player that is over 92, including kobe wade durant and lebron. Take rings, fg%, defense, mvp awards both regular season and finals, and ppg. Mj CRUSHES all of them. Dont believe me? Go to google, type in mj career stats jand then kobe career stats and whomever else. Get 'em side by side. CASE CLOSED. The disparity between mj and kobe and crew should be much bigger. I say at least 8 points.

# 518 cheesesteak @ 09/25/10 09:47 PM
Anyway those can be reorganized in overall rating order? I mean, obviously OS can since it appears to be a spreadsheet, but could you guys post them in overall rating order, rather than team order?

# 519 stillfeelme @ 09/25/10 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moemoe24
Come on with John wall being an 81. That is way too high.
This is one I can agree on John Wall is rated too high. I think 2K gave him the benefit of the doubt from all the Calipari point guards and over inflated him based off what they thought he would be by November. Back to back to back, Rose, Evans, and now Wall. He is going to start on that Wizards team and do whatever he has the green light to shoot. I am predicting 16.5 PPG 5.5 APG, 4.4 RPG and maybe a 1.0 STL/game 43% FG and 32% 3PT

# 520 JBH3 @ 09/26/10 09:24 AM
Yea...Brandon Jennings got shafted. I'm a 76ers fan and love that Evan Turner is a 76, but a point higher than Jennings? C'mon...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.