Home
Feature Article
NHL 12 Producer Blog: Online Innovations

Hey everyone, we have a lot cooking in the NHL 12 Online Innovations Blog and we’re really excited about it, so let’s get to it! Producers Andy Agostini and Nate Ng will be breaking down what’s new and improved in the HUT and EASHL modes. Enjoy!

Hockey Ultimate Team

Andy Agostini here to let you know what is new in Hockey Ultimate Team for NHL 12.

We introduced Hockey Ultimate Team in NHL 11, and we are extremely pleased that a lot of our users played in the biggest online dynasty ever, the EA Ultimate Hockey League.

If you haven’t checked it out yet, Hockey Ultimate Team is an armchair GM’s dream. You get a starter team of players that you will play with online and against CPU opponents to earn EA Pucks. These EA Pucks are then used to purchase card packs in the Hockey Ultimate Team Store to improve your team. In the packs you will earn player, training upgrade, contract, arena, logo, team jersey and head coach cards to help your team become a juggernaut. There are over 4,100 player cards from 10 different leagues in Hockey Ultimate Team so you will have lots of choices when it comes to building your team.

In the EA Ultimate Hockey League, there is a salary cap and managing that cap will mean that you will have difficult decisions to make about what players you want on your team; just like a real-life GM. Great team chemistry and working to train and level up your own players are the keys to building a successful team that meets the salary cap.

Only a year old, we felt that we had a lot to build off of and some great things to add to Hockey Ultimate Team:

EA Ultimate Hockey League 24/7 – Our biggest addition to Hockey Ultimate Team in NHL 12 is EA Ultimate Hockey League 24/7! This is going to make playing Hockey Ultimate team a unique experience and make it so you always want your best on the ice.

All the teams in the EAUHL are stored on EA Servers. These teams are a user’s current Hockey Ultimate Team. Now last year at no point was someone allowed to play against another user’s Ultimate Team without playing them online.

That is all going to change. Last year when a user wanted to play a game of Hockey Ultimate Team without playing against someone online, they only had a choice of the teams in NHL 12’s 10 different leagues. Well now you have access to literally thousands of other teams. When a person selects to play an EAUHL single player match, we will automatically download four teams from the server. Three of the teams are around your team’s skill level, and one of them is a Top 100 team.

The three teams that are downloaded as potential opponents are one that is a level below your team, one that is the same as your team, and one that is better than your team. Playing one of these teams gives you EA Pucks just like any single-player match. So you will always have new and varied opponents to play every time you play Hockey Ultimate Team. As for the Top 100 team, we download one of those teams so there is one team that is a big challenge and the best that the EAUHL has to offer.

As for keeping your best lineup available at all times, you will want to do that because if your team is downloaded as one of the three teams for another user, and they are chosen to be their opponent, you will get a reward of some EA Pucks. If your team should win the game, then they will receive extra EA Pucks for winning. This will make it so your team is playing in the EAUHL 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and always able to earn you coins. Now there is a maximum amount of coins you can get this way, so you will want to be checking in to get those EA Pucks from the server so your team can continue earning you more EA Pucks while you aren’t playing. One last thing: If your team gets downloaded, they will not lose contracts or career, thus making it like free EA Pucks as long as your team is chosen.

If your team is a Top 100 team and they are downloaded as such, then your team will not earn EA Pucks as we wanted to keep it fair for people as the rich would get richer in terms of EA Pucks, but it will make your team famous to other players and the recognition of being seen as a Top 100 team.

This is a very exciting feature as it’s always fun to turn on the game and see if you got any EA Pucks. I know I play right now only against the EAUHL 24/7 teams as they are always different and it’s fun to say to somebody here at the office I just beat their team. I cannot wait to see the teams our users create and play against with the EAUHL 24/7 feature.

Multiple Lineups – The Hockey Ultimate Team community has been asking for the ability to have multiple lineups since HUT was created, and we’ve added it this year based on community feedback. This will allow users to set multiple lineups to play in a tournament with specific requirements and still be able to play in regular EAUHL games. We have added the ability to have up to 15 different lineups for tournaments and the EAUHL. This directly leads into another new feature.

Play A Friend – You can now play against your friends with the ‘Play A Friend’ feature in HUT to see who is better at building a great lineup. These games won’t count against your player’s contracts or career and there is no salary cap in these games. So go crazy with your lineups and see who can put the best team on the ice. My favorite part of this feature is that you will get a friend’s leaderboard and will be able to see a running tally of all the scores of the games you have completed with a friend. This allows you to see how many wins and losses you have against your friends.

Stars of the Week – The Stars of the Week feature, a feature that I really like in FIFA’s Ultimate Team, is coming to Hockey Ultimate Team. Using real life stars of the week, we will create special versions of these players to be inserted into card packs. These new versions of these players will have better ratings to mimic their great performance in real-world games. We will not only be doing this with the NHL but also with players around the hockey world to create special versions of players who have been playing at the top of their game in their respective leagues.

Healing Cards/Injuries – New to NHL 12 is injuries! Now your players can be injured and there will be two ways to heal them. You’ll have to rest your injured player by putting them on your scratched roster or use healing cards that can help your player return to action faster by using the healing card that matches your player’s injury. Collecting the four different types of healing cards available will ensure that your player will be back in the lineup for those all-important playoff games.

Change Position Cards – Chemistry is important in Hockey Ultimate Team, and we wanted to give the user a way to move a player to another position to help him create good team chemistry. Getting the right Change Position Card can help give a huge chemistry boost.

There are many different position change cards. For example, ‘RW shift to LW’ or ‘C shift to RW’ so that people won’t be able to change players back and forth on a whim. When you get one of these cards, you’ll have to make a strategic choice to help better your team. Once the player has had his position changed they will remain that way until you use another card to change him back or to another position. This will also create more variety in the HUT auction house because players that have a different position could be more valuable to users looking to complete a line that will have great chemistry.

So get in there and play Hockey Ultimate Team and win those monthly championships. You can make your team name famous, as all team names will now be unique, so see if you can create a dynasty in the EAUHL. Good luck!

EASHL

Hey everyone, Nate here to give you a look at what’s new for EASHL in NHL 12. I know there are a lot of EASHL fans out there who have been chomping at the bit for new info on Clubs, so without any further delay, I’m going to jump straight into it.

First off, something that many fans have been asking for is finally here. You are now able to save different position presets. Your center, right wing, left wing, defenseman, and goalie now all have separate slots. Is your team short a defenseman tonight? Not a problem. Just load up your defensive build and you’re good to go. Gone are the days of forcing your teammates to wait for you while you reapply your attribute points and boost slots. Don’t you worry fans of Ranked OTP, you too have access to the five different position presets.

We have updated the Online Performance Tracker this year as well. The Edit Attributes screen, and EASHL Hub offer a lot better support in tracking stats for each of your positions. The leveling system has been reworked this year to create a steadier progression through the levels. The main six card levels are still there: Amateur, Rookie, Pro, Veteran, Superstar and Legend; the difference this year is that there are three ranks in between each level, which gives users more opportunity to increase stats before the next plateau. Think of it as a checkpoint as you climb the mountain to your Legend card (i.e. Amateur 1, Amateur 2, Amateur 3, Rookie 1 etc. all the way up to Legend 3). All skater positions will share the same progression level to level. However, this year, your goalie progression will be separate. Playing an odd mix of games as defense and forward will not hurt your skater card progression. Your skater card progression will no longer have an effect on your goalie card progression. To progress further with your goalie, you will have to play all the games.

We have also added a Performance Points screens at the end of Versus and EASHL games, which shows the breakdown of Rank Points earned or lost that game, as well as the progress or perhaps drop of Skill Level during that game. The performance points are dependent on what the players do during gameplay, so if you dominating in a game and lose, you will lose less Rank Points as a result.

At the end of each EASHL game, we’ve added a new Pro Progression screen. This screen is similar to the Performance Points screen at the end of the game, but the difference is that this one shows the user’s progression with their pro. The screen shows the start and end values of your current level, and where you sit currently within your goals. At every level up, this screen will show you that you have earned XP that can be added to your pro.

Each monthly season, the top 100 users from each position will be tracked in the new EASHL Top Monthly All-Stars Leaderboard. The top 5 percent of each position will receive an “EASHL All Star” award at the end of the month. The top user from each position will be displayed in the League History screen for all users to see. All-Stars are ranked on the leaderboard based on their Fantasy points. The Fantasy points are based on a list of stats that are accumulated throughout the month.

New to EASHL in NHL 12, we have implemented a club cool-down period to help combat cheating by “Club Hopping”. When leaving a club, you will have to wait a specific amount of time before you are able to join or create a club. The reason we are implementing a club cool-down period is to try to cut down on win trading via club hopping. Implementing the club cool-down is to discourage people from jumping Club to Club. I know this may affect some users who are legitimately trying to go from Club to Club, but this is something we will monitor when the game goes live. The screenshot says a three hour cool-down, but this number will change by the time we launch.

Last but not least, this year we’ve added a new Club Scouting feature to EASHL. This is an in-game pause menu option that allows you to view the stats of all human-controlled users. This screen is available in all Ranked OTP sessions as well as EASHL sessions. This screen shows users’ stats and overall rating. If this screen is brought up in a Ranked OTP session, it will also show you if the player is a free agent or if they belong to a specific club. I know some users right now are saying, “Why are we encouraging more pausing? We just want to play the game!” This new Club Scouting screen will not cause any more pauses than a normal user would make. All of the player ratings were previously available in the pause menu. If a user had any intention of pausing to see player stats, they would have paused anyway. The new Club Scouting screen is to help users identify other human users with greater ease.

NHL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 jyoung @ 08/05/11 12:24 PM
Definitely not feeling the way they are forcing you to grind through 300 games to get your skater and goalie legend card separately.

They should be doing everything they can to get people to want to play goalie, not pushing them away from playing it.

I may actually play HUT more than EASHL this year now that Play a Friend has been added to HUT.

Very pleased that they added that!

# 22 fenster24 @ 08/05/11 01:13 PM
I see that you can lose XP when you play poorly. Does this also mean that you rank DOWN? For example, is it possible to go from Veteran 1 down to Pro 3, therefore losing attribute points?

# 23 FBeaule04 @ 08/05/11 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Definitely not feeling the way they are forcing you to grind through 300 games to get your skater and goalie legend card separately.

They should be doing everything they can to get people to want to play goalie, not pushing them away from playing it.

I may actually play HUT more than EASHL this year now that Play a Friend has been added to HUT.

Very pleased that they added that!
Oh, don't be affraid about that goalie thing. In one month, someone will put the card online and you'll be able to mod it so you have their boost and profile, so you can tweak your goalie like he as played 150 games. That's not to mention the XP glitch we're going to get later after someone find the door left open in that version of the game.

If the BaP thing is as good they entertain us, I might also spend a lot less time playing online with glitchers and cheaters, while getting most out of the mode and the fact that HUT can now be played against friends.

# 24 FBeaule04 @ 08/05/11 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMG
Lol, that is good for you people on the box but they protected the profiles on the PS3, so we on the PS3 don't get that luxury and we don't get all the same glitches you do on the PS3 either.
Yep, I know. The advantage of beeing on the XBOX is that the community is larger but in counterpart, we have more morons, cheaters and glitchers.

At least, on the PS3 side, you know you are playing with a level field instead of always trying to figure if you're playing a cheater.

# 25 ganstakid19 @ 08/05/11 02:02 PM
The different position builds is a great addition!! They shouldve also added were each team had its own set of computer players so theyre all different but you always played with the same set of computers

# 26 ganstakid19 @ 08/05/11 02:03 PM
Great addition with the seperate position sets....but they should also make it so the computer AI's you play with when you dont have 6 players should always be the same where each team has its own set of AI's

# 27 Trevelyan @ 08/05/11 02:59 PM
I'm just hoping that for a change they store all your player info on their servers rather than saves on your console, so people won't be able to juice and copy legend cards.

As someone who plays goalie and skater at a high level, I was kinda disappointed that I'll have to get the goalie legend card, but after I thought about it a little bit I like it. It should put more of a skill gap between average and really good goalies.

# 28 FBeaule04 @ 08/05/11 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevelyan
I'm just hoping that for a change they store all your player info on their servers rather than saves on your console, so people won't be able to juice and copy legend cards.

As someone who plays goalie and skater at a high level, I was kinda disappointed that I'll have to get the goalie legend card, but after I thought about it a little bit I like it. It should put more of a skill gap between average and really good goalies.
That's the only thing you can do about that.

3 years of EASHL and 3 years of various glitching, cheesing, cheating and boosting.

Want to bet it's going to change in NHL 12? When it happens once, it may be a coincidence, but 3 years in a row? There's cheaters in the dev team of NHL game that left a door open so they can have an advantage over the community.

If there's nothing in NHL 12, I'll revert my saying, but until then, history prove that it's the case.

# 29 Tea_Bag_Frenzy @ 08/05/11 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04

3 years of EASHL and 3 years of various glitching, cheesing, cheating and boosting.

Want to bet it's going to change in NHL 12? When it happens once, it may be a coincidence, but 3 years in a row? There's cheaters in the dev team of NHL game that left a door open so they can have an advantage over the community.

If there's nothing in NHL 12, I'll revert my saying, but until then, history prove that it's the case.
Glitching and cheesing cannot be put into the same category as cheating and boosting.

As a computer programmer in the business, I know that there will always be exploits such as glitches and what you call 'cheese' unless you eliminate all AI players. This is because you have to give the AI players the ability to score on AI Goalies.

Creating an algorithm for this to occur without making the Goalie AI vulnerable is nearly impossible. It would be a brilliant achievement to create the AI interactions that simulate 'intelligent' goal scoring rather than pre-scripted goal scoring. It is such a complicated process that it becomes too hard to explain without getting into the real technical weeds of the AI development.

I agree with you on the boosting and the cheating, which has to go. But to avoid the glitchers the best solution has always been to play 6 vs 6 using human goalies.

# 30 anndroo @ 08/05/11 05:30 PM
CLUB SCOUTING = MORE QUITTING

# 31 druez @ 08/05/11 05:53 PM
I think there should be a game mode where you have to have a human goalie in EASHL.

Also where is the ability to use members players as your teammates, if they aren't online so you aren't stuck using the terrible EA ones.

# 32 stew514 @ 08/05/11 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoguitar
Everyone complaining about the "club hopping" rule, find a better team that has 6-8 regular guys so you're never left out and stay on that team. I played with a core group of 4 other guys last year and it was great. I hated club hoppers who joined our team for the playoffs or a few games and then left. At least now there's going to be some accountability and loyalty before simply joining a team without any thought given.

I want to see more stable teams that don't fall apart because of club hoppers always looking for something better.
The problem I have with your perspective is there are a couple of different scenarios that make the cool down period kind of a slap in the face. First off if you are actively looking for a club, you find one and play a game and realize these guys are a bunch of dick cheese burgers. So you leave, you find another club that's trying people out but oh wait, you have 2 hours and 41 minutes left before you can join a club.

Also other people have mentioned that not everyone enjoys the multiple dressing rooms for a competitive advantage, some people enjoy it because they don't have to tell people they can't play because the other line is playing right now.

I honestly never viewed club hopping as a big deal, people like to play EASHL rather than deal with the ****sticks that play OTP. I don't understand a system like this at all from EA's point of view, were club hoppers that big a problem that you introduce a system that's going to encourage people not to play your game. If you play for a competitive EASHL club, and you can stomach 3 hours of OTP I give you serious props.

# 33 stew514 @ 08/05/11 06:00 PM
Also EA can never fully combat cheating until they start punishing the people who exploit the system. Now I'm only referring to juicing, because it's a competitive advantage I don't think you can punish people for say scoring the same goal over and over and over. Even if EA only went as far to ban someone's EA Online Pass for violating the terms of service, I still think it would deter some people from doing it. I would love to see them start banning people's gamertags from using the EA servers for juicing.

# 34 Millennium @ 08/05/11 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04

Did you seriously just say that the dev team leaves glitches in so they can have an advantage online?

# 35 Diehardfan @ 08/05/11 06:21 PM
Simply put. Just more and more dumb useless crap that 12 and 13 year old kids love. How about a real hockey experience? How about not wasting resources on such innane children's play like HUT? How about making a game that plays like hockey for real hockey players? How about returning the Commishioner Mode so if mature players want to play MATURELY, they can against one another in their OWN leagues? Im sick and tired of the same ridiculous garbage year after year.

# 36 Millennium @ 08/05/11 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardfan
Simply put. Just more and more dumb useless crap that 12 and 13 year old kids love. How about a real hockey experience? How about not wasting resources on such innane children's play like HUT? How about making a game that plays like hockey for real hockey players? How about returning the Commishioner Mode so if mature players want to play MATURELY, they can against one another in their OWN leagues? Im sick and tired of the same ridiculous garbage year after year.
Myself and my EASHL team are all around 30, and loved HUT.

# 37 stew514 @ 08/05/11 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardfan
If you want a real hockey experience play real hockey.

# 38 ChaseB @ 08/05/11 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
Did you seriously just say that the dev team leaves glitches in so they can have an advantage online?
I believe he called the developers cheaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
Myself and my EASHL team are all around 30, and loved HUT.
Whoa whoa whoa, don't lump me in with the "around 30" crowd. I am 23 sir.

# 39 SinisterAlex @ 08/06/11 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillHammer
I'm not liking the changes to OTP at all. I am very skeptical about the part where they said "This new Club Scouting screen will not cause any more pauses than a normal user would make."

I feel pausing needs to be removed from the mode completely. Let people check stats between periods and after the game. Not in the middle of the period.
They should make if like FIFA. Where when you hit start, it only affects YOU and only YOU, while everyone else can keep playing. How hard is it to do that?

# 40 KillHammer @ 08/06/11 07:17 PM
I know it's going to be a long game when it starts with a pause screen before the opening face off.

I think a good idea would be to let you skate to the bench and swap out with a cpu team mate for a bit. From there you can access the pause menu, take a bathroom break, or what ever you do without having to delay the whole game.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.