Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K12 Developer Insight #7 - Creating a Legend - Kobe Rated 94, LeBron 98

Erick Boenisch, Producer for NBA 2K12, back once again.  I’m here today to tell you about a new mode you’ll be playing in the game this year, “NBA: Creating A Legend”.  For this experience, you’ll be taking over the career of any player in the NBA and seeing it through to completion.  In structure and style, this mode resembles My Player in many ways.  If you haven’t got a chance to read my Insight on that mode yet, I recommend you go and give that a read.

The first thing you will do when starting the mode is selecting the player whose career you want to take over.  You can select any player in the league.  If you want to jump right in and dominate, the likes of Kobe, LeBron, and Wade are at your fingertips.  On the other hand, if you are looking for more of a challenge, you can start with a young talent such as a Dexter Pittman or a Daniel Orton and guide them to All-Star appearances, MVPs, and NBA championships. 

Click here for high resolution

In NBA: Creating A Legend, you can choose to play as any player in the NBA and play out the rest of their career.  Whose career will you take over?

One of my favorite things about this new mode is that you can take whatever path you want with a player and ultimately change the outcome of his career.  If you want to take a Kobe Bryant and try to match him up with Melo and Amare in New York, go talk to management about a trade and tell them you want to go to New York.  Remember, you aren’t someone who is pulling the strings for Kobe in this mode, YOU are Kobe!

Many of the new additions that we’ve added to My Player this year have found their way into NBA: Creating A Legend, including Contract Negotiations + Spending, the ability to play only Key Games (this gets you through seasons much faster), Player Abilities, Dynamic Goals, all of the new Drills, and much more.  These inclusions are an immediate boost and add instant depth to this new mode.

Click here for high resolution

In NBA: Creating A Legend, you’ll be able to request trades to specific teams (like in My Player).  Your request isn’t a guarantee you’ll end up there, but your GM will do his best to work out a deal with one of those teams.  For you Knick fans out there, this is your chance to bring Kobe into the fold.

My aim and focus with this mode was to provide an experience that even the most casual user with limited playing time could jump right into and enjoy.  At the same, I wanted to provide a feature littered with depth that even our most devoted users would find fulfilling over an extended period of time.  For those of you picking up the game on October 4th, give this hidden gem a shot.  I think you’ll find yourself quickly becoming addicted to what it has to offer.

- Erick Boenisch

a.k.a. SimBaller

NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 domidomdomz @ 09/14/11 05:04 PM
@SimBaller

You only mentioned: "You can select any player in the league."

Can we select anyone from the Greatest mode once we unlock them?

About the ratings, I don't really care about that, as long as the players play and perform up to their capability in real life, it's all fine.

Now if 2K have Bron perform better in the 4th quarter than Kobe, then we have an issue.

# 82 clipperfan811 @ 09/14/11 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbarkley
Possibly Jimmer Fredette,but being a Spaniard maybe I'll give Ricky Rubio a shot.
If I mess with this mode, I'll probably go this route too. I can't help it, I'm a fan.

# 83 kennyacid @ 09/14/11 05:08 PM
2K just keep giving us more and more to keep us occupied while the lockout is going on. Im feeling this mode alot. I will most likely take over tyreke evans career and try and get him some rings. Might even see if I can force a trade later on and team him up wit rose just for the heck of it lol

# 84 kennyacid @ 09/14/11 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbarkley
Possibly Jimmer Fredette,but being a Spaniard maybe I'll give Ricky Rubio a shot.
cant use them until the lockout is over. There not in the game.

# 85 seanbarkley @ 09/14/11 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyacid
I know, i'll do it once the lockout is over

# 86 neptuneniq @ 09/14/11 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedude24
Last season Kobe was 5th in PER, season before he was 15th.

but people thought he lost a step last yr, not the yr before. lol

Only difference last yr was Kobe's mins were down, so his PPG weren't as big, but his efficiency didn't drop.

Mins down were due to injuries....he didn't practice all yr long and still 5th in PER. lol

that's why he went to Germany and got treatment, he will be back to shut the dumb doubters once again, like he did many times in his career.

just for a reminder, here is what Kobe and Lebron been doing in this offseason.

Kobe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QStx8GklKQg

Lebron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnEIH0kOFNs
not a good argument, seems ur trying to make fun of him more than state your case...

Lebron has been doing alot during the offseason, probably more than Kobe

he's been training with Hakeem and has been very active in summer leagues (he played in the Drew League before Kobe).

the fact that Kobe only averaged around 23 points vs Mavs shows that he declined. Yes Lebron didn't show up in the finals, but he got way farther than kobe

# 87 Ken North @ 09/14/11 05:24 PM
Quote:
Well, they are in game technically speaking, so I'm pretty sure it won't take many hours before someone customizes a roster file and uploads to 2K Share so we can play with proper rookies.

As for the Creating a Legend mode, people playing on PC could actually do this via My Player already last year.

Personally, I finished the careers of Nash and Shaq, plus a solid 15 seasons as Blake Griffin. I had hell of a lot of fun doing that, so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this mode too.

Although... all the new My Player stuff has me quite happy in the pants right now.

# 88 BRxSKINSx @ 09/14/11 05:28 PM
This mode doesn't excite me at all....not saying it's a bad thing to have in the game, it's just that if I'm gonna spend time playing this mode......I may as well be using MY PLAYER, making him better....That's just me though....

# 89 Kiss_My_Dimplez @ 09/14/11 05:35 PM
I'll enjoy this mode. It gives us a chance to turn underrated players into the superstars that they have the potential to be. I'm thinking about going with Brandon Jennings or J.R. Smith......i just wish AI would come back to the league so he could be featured in the game too

# 90 strongarmstrong @ 09/14/11 05:38 PM
Quote:
2K just keep giving us more and more to keep us occupied while the lockout is going on. Im feeling this mode alot. I will most likely take over tyreke evans career and try and get him some rings. Might even see if I can force a trade later on and team him up wit rose just for the heck of it lol
Exact same thing I was saying, My Bulls need a Two so bad and Reke is a beast.

# 91 strongarmstrong @ 09/14/11 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss_My_Dimplez
I'll enjoy this mode. It gives us a chance to turn underrated players into the superstars that they have the potential to be. I'm thinking about going with Brandon Jennings or J.R. Smith......i just wish AI would come back to the league so he could be featured in the game too
^That right there. Those were the 2 people I picked in another post, plus I added Shannon Brown since hes my homie in real life, and a beast to play with.

# 92 Self313 @ 09/14/11 05:51 PM
Quote:
Rubio is in... hes already signed

# 93 Kiss_My_Dimplez @ 09/14/11 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongarmstrong
^That right there. Those were the 2 people I picked in another post, plus I added Shannon Brown since hes my homie in real life, and a beast to play with.
Shannon Brown is a good pick too. And i'm also thinking about Melo b/c even though some ppll consider him a superstar i dnt think he's at his full potential

# 94 GSWarriors9 @ 09/14/11 06:17 PM
I will be using Stephen Curry, he's young, a great shooter and already very good. Im going to develop him into a superstar and bring rings to Golden State!

# 95 RB10 @ 09/15/11 02:16 AM
The Lebron haters are coming out....complaining of his rating....this is really making me laugh out loud

# 96 Xx Qontrolz xX @ 09/15/11 03:02 AM
i'm intrigued by the contract amount shown in the LBJ screenshot- 3y/52.64M when he signed last year a 6y/110M ...

what u guys think?

# 97 Xx Qontrolz xX @ 09/15/11 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
Do we have to control the player the whole game or can we control other players as well?
it's a MP mode with a current NBA player so u'll only control your guy

# 98 domidomdomz @ 09/15/11 03:17 AM
Let's go, Luke Walton!

Make your Papa proud and get that 6th ring for Kobe!

# 99 Day_26 @ 09/15/11 03:39 AM
Individually lending is the best, no doubt. Kobe definitely slowed down, 94 seems ok. But 98 for lebron is too much...

# 100 airjoca @ 09/15/11 04:53 AM
Kobe 94
Wade 96
LeBron 98

MJ 134?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.