Home
Feature Article
OS Roundtable: Where does NBA 2K13 Stand?

NBA 2K13 has received some complaints in some areas, but generally it's clear the game is still quite good. If you are an online player, the server issues are probably driving you batty but if you play offline you might be enjoying one of the better playing games on the hardwood ever.

So simply put, to you at this point: where does NBA 2K13 stand?

The Dream Team vs. Dream Team matchup isn't the only thing 2K13 has going for it.

Matthew Coe: For me, NBA 2K13 stands alone right now. It's at the pinnacle of the sports gaming mountain looking down upon all of it's fallen competition. If you're a basketball fan it doesn't get any better than this year's iteration. NBA 2K13's gameplay is an even bigger upgrade on the floor than I expected, and it's subtle tweaks and fixes that have made all the difference.

I honestly haven't had this much fun with a sports game out of the box in this entire console generation. Sure I've made a couple of slider tweaks to fit my play style, but I've mostly just set it to simulation and played. I know there is room for improvement in the plays and playcalling among other areas, and some bugs are still in need of a patch, but this game truly feels like a game that's worth $60 unlike two recent sports games; NCAA Football 13 and Madden 13. I may come off sounding like a raving "fan boy", but NBA 2K13 just nails it.

Bishop Tart: As a person who enjoys playing offline Association more than online, NBA 2K13 stands as one of the best sports games this generation -- which is something we seem to say every year with this franchise. I do wish offline association got more time and love, but I'm still enjoying every game I play.

Although it's something some people seem to be complaining about, I really like the new controls featured. Yes, some of them will take some practice before you get the handle of them, but they really increase the fun factor by 10. The new animations are also outstanding and they make NBA 2K13 much more fluid. The improvements they made to certain modes might not be for everybody, but Visual Concepts made some significant gameplay and design changes. Simply put, those changes are phenomenal.

When it comes down to it, the NBA 2K series is always in the discussion for sports game of the year (even though I wasn't a fan of NBA 2K12 last year). Despite the fact that it may be a bit early, I'm just going to go ahead and say it -- NBA 2K13 is the best sports game to release in 2012.

A lot of the changes in this years edition make the game feel more 'right'.

Steve McPherson: At this point into its life, the NBA 2K series and every new iteration of it are a little like the blind men and the elephant. When it started, there was just the game of basketball as played in the NBA and your only options were basically exhibition or season. Then they added franchises. Then 24/7 mode. Then online. Then My Player. And now MyCAREER, weird capitalization and all. In essence, this means you can immerse yourself in one corner of the game now and never touch areas that don't appeal to you.

I myself have only begun to explore NBA2K13, but what I can definitively say is that judging by the most basic yardstick for any sports game—how it renders the sport on the field of play—it's much better than NBA2K12. For lack of something more precise, things just feel more ... possible than last year. The first Rubio bounce pass I threw to Love for an open baseline shot; the first time I drove past a defender with Derrick Rose; the first self-alley-oop from Gerald Green off the glass: these things made me jump out of my seat a little bit, and that's at least half of what I play the game for in the first place. I could go through and list the little things: the more realistic way balls get poked loose, the way the Signature Skills make the game quirkier and more realistic, the way the ballhandling feels more true-to-life. But the main thing is that the aggregate has a sort of "feel" that was lacking in the at least the last two versions of the game, in my opinion.

Of course, there are problems. Rebounding is sneakily weird, as when Kirk Heinrich managed to outduel Kevin Love and Nikola Pekovic directly under the board. And some of the choices in MyCAREER are hardly transparent. Separating the MyPLAYER stuff out meant that I played a half-dozen games before realizing I could change the height of my socks. (For the record, I just dislike medium height socks.) Additionally, one of the things that has kept me coming back again and again to every NBA2K since they introduced My Player was making new My Players and trying out different positions and styles of play, so this anchoring of the game type to just one MyPLAYER may end up limiting the replay value of the mode down the line.

But looking at NBA2K13 as a part of the entire NBA2K series means trying to figure out how it fits into that lineage. For a couple years, between 2002 and 2006 or so, the series hit a kind of sweet spot where the basketball just felt right. Not arcade-y, but not arcane. I feel reasonably assured in saying that if you went back now, though, and played any of those games you'd find them noticeably lacking. And yet in the past couple years, perhaps without the competition from NBA Live, things have gotten complicated. IsoMotion was dialed back, almost to the point of uselessness. Passing got harder, but so much so that basic pick and roll gameplay felt like a chore, not a joy. It may have been more realistic, but it was also too complicated. It's too early to make a definitive statement on NBA2K13, but there are signs in the new Control Stick and in things like Signature Skills that realism may once again be dovetailing with fun the way it felt a half decade ago.

Fear the beard? NBA 2K13 says yes, moreso like real life than ever.

Keni Glover: NBA 2K13 is not without its flaws, but all in all is the best basketball game ever created. I would go as far as to say that the NBA 2K series in general is inching closer and closer to perhaps being the best sports franchise on the market.

The gameplay and controls of the game really shine this year. Perhaps my favorite implementation the dynamic shot creator, allows for what seems to be limitless scenarios/animations when attacking the basket. This introduces an organic element never before truly present in a basketball game. The control stick is a long overdo addition which along with improved on the ball defense creates a true-to-life cat and mouse dynamic between the offensive and defensive player. What really amazed me this year though is the unique feel that virtually every player in this game possesses. This can be partially attributed to my other favorite addition to 2K13, Signature Skills. Never before in a 2K basketball game have guys like Dwayne Wade and Kevin Durant truly felt like themselves on the court as they do in this rendition in my opinion. Basketball is a sport in which each individual player is a brand and a style, and NBA 2K13 captured this well.

Though spectacular in many ways, NBA 2K13 does have some flaws. As a heavy offline gamer there are a few issues with the AI in this years rendition. I applauded NBA 2K12 for having one of the best AI's in any sports game but the AI in NBA 2K13 seems to play in a less than simulation fashion even when on my preferred setting, Superstar/Sim. The computer fast-breaks nearly every play even when defenders are in the vicinity, and rarely calls plays. The real culprit however seems to be your still flawed AI teammates, who arbitrarily leave assignments or sit around and watch as the game is happening around them. This is a frustrating problem which artificially creates opportunities for the computer and makes gameplay balance very difficult, even with slider adjustments. Generally, defensive reactions are just a bit slow, and most players feel Kobe-like with their ability to drain shot after shot irrespective of defensive challenge. Offensive rebounding, which was my major complaint in 2K12, is still severely skewed in favor of the CPU. As a guy who plays 12 minutes, these issues make it difficult to achieve realistic results at the end of games. These issues along with many graphical inaccuracies, outdated courts, limitations with accessories and some questionable player appearances sap some of the excitement out of the game.

Nevertheless, it seems that annually we don't get the full or final NBA 2K experience until at least the first gameplay patch is released, and these issues seem very fixable. What 2K does have with NBA 2K13 is a rock solid foundation from which to build upon for future iterations. It is scary to think what the 2K team can achieve with NBA 2K14, if they build upon what 2K13 started.

What about you OS? Where do you feel 2K13 fits in this season? Is it the greatest of all time?

NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 spankdatazz22 @ 10/16/12 09:38 AM
I don't know why so many people here expect perfection or near-perfection from this game. As a complete effort, not just one piece of the game here or there to match up against other games, there doesn't seem to be another sports game that matches up with 2K13. Again, as a complete effort. I don't understand the whole "[this game] does something better" while ignoring the myriad other things 2K13 does better than that game. It's like some will overly criticize the game for not being perfect, when that shouldn't be the expectation in the first place. There's little to no perspective.

# 42 demfl @ 10/16/12 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I don't know why so many people here expect perfection or near-perfection from this game. As a complete effort, not just one piece of the game here or there to match up against other games, there doesn't seem to be another sports game that matches up with 2K13. Again, as a complete effort. I don't understand the whole "[this game] does something better" while ignoring the myriad other things 2K13 does better than that game. It's like some will overly criticize the game for not being perfect, when that shouldn't be the expectation in the first place. There's little to no perspective.
Me personally, I expected things like the allstar bug to be fix by now. I haven't touched "my player" in a while because despite leading the league in everything statistical category and awards, my players keeps getting Benched. Do you understand how annoying that is?

Now if someone is complaining about shoe designs or the crowd, I 100% agree with you.

# 43 demfl @ 10/16/12 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalkofanation
lol.. good response. Mediocrity??? Madden is mediocrity... You got the whole post all wrong. All I see here is cry baby after cry baby after cry baby. If you don't want to spend 60 dollars then don't buy the game dummy. nobody is making you buy it. Ridiculous. I am not a "CASUAL GAMER" either, it's just I don't cry and nitpick over little stuff that is really not a big deal such as yourself.
I see you in here crying about people complaining. We have just as much right as you. Yes, 2k13 is a good game and no I'm not complaining about any soundtrack. I'm strictly about game-play, 100%. I don't expect perfection but the many bugs in this game is very annoying and seems completely overlooked. Why is the allstar bug still in the game, why is my season being simmed to the end after allstar weekend, why is my player being benched and replaced by our 3rd string?

The only excuse I ever here is how fixing one bug will somehow mess up the hardcoding and stability of the game, I don't buy it. Again, its a good game but also bad on some levels because It can feel very beta.

Me complaining doesn't mean I'm saying the game is terrible. Nor do i feel like hearing someone over the internet tell me to simply not buy the game just because I rightfully call out 2k flaws as a consumer.

# 44 DaImmaculateONe @ 10/16/12 10:14 AM
So how does nba 2k13 compare against fifa 13 since they both came out around the same time?

# 45 demfl @ 10/16/12 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaImmaculateONe
So how does nba 2k13 compare against fifa 13 since they both came out around the same time?

It doesn't compared. I will be the first to say 2k11>2k12,13 game-play wise.
It would be nice if the producers of 2k14 focused just on improving the game-play and getting rid of multiple year bugs. Instead I suspect we're going to get 20 new features and more colorful draft suits. 2k14 could use the exact same engine as 2k13 but tweaked the way the game is played and fixed all of the annoying bug I would be 100% satisfied.

# 46 Tomba @ 10/16/12 10:34 AM
When edited the gameplay is practically nuts but it doesnt match to the likes of Fifa 12/13 or even MLB The Show where those game just cater to the sport so much.

I feel that instead of catering to the NBA. NBA 2k13 caters to the basketball LIFESTYLE moreso than anything else.

Gameplay is great but cosmetically it isnt a pure "sports" game something I think is missing unless you mod/edit

# 47 ProfessaPackMan @ 10/16/12 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonasis
Greatest 2K EVER

FOR CASUALS
I think this game is great and I'm far from a Casual and I'm sure there are plenty of other(sim) people who feel that way as well.

# 48 Sausage @ 10/16/12 11:04 AM
For me NBA 2K13 is not just the best basketball game I have played, but is one of the better games of any genre.

I can't say enough how "amazing happens" when I play this game. It may be the only game I play for the next year.

# 49 videobastard @ 10/16/12 11:05 AM
The fun factor and experience were better in 2k8 and 2k11 for me over 2k13. I preferred the online league over the association and having more options online to play at higher difficulty levels with the lobbies. The offense this year is much more overpowering then the defense capabilities as well.

Modes like myteam and myplayer could of been much better but 2k is more concerned with users buying vc, and catering to casuals then optimizing the modes with logic and diversity.

# 50 shootah66 @ 10/16/12 11:08 AM
I thnk the game is great and fun as hell once you get the hang out the dribbling stick which is just awesome imo. the only problem that i encounter is that the their are wayyy tooo many offensive rebounds. that aspect needs to be fixed. otherwise 2k13 renders all other versions of nba 2k obsolete. awesome game. oh one more thing get the full rosters fixed. i want allll the rookies on their teams, rasheed etc..

# 51 The 24th Letter @ 10/16/12 11:25 AM
This 2k is up there with the greats without question..It's right on par with 2k11 for me as of right now.

I basically have one big complaint about the game, and that's the rebounding....and this is something that the devs already have there sights on for a patch. Everything else is minor for me.

Just a fantastic game.

# 52 demfl @ 10/16/12 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalkofanation
I dont think people understand how hard it is to develop these games. Nor do they understand the constant pressure put under developers to get games out earlier and earlier and earlier..

If I had a nickle for every time this excuse is used to defend 2k. This seems to be the excuse for even the simplest bugs......it very hard, would break the game blah blah blah..... . One of the easiest ways to meet a deadline goal is to start early.

I can bet you any aspects of the game involving VC are tweak to perfection. Never heard of anyone complaining about getting 10,000VC from a key game. And if one exploit is found, it's magically fixed without breaking the game.

I'm not saying its as complicated as supposedly fixing the allstar bug but come on man, these bugs aren't rocket science.

# 53 demfl @ 10/16/12 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
This 2k is up there with the greats without question..It's right on par with 2k11 for me as of right now.

I basically have one big complaint about the game, and that's the rebounding....and this is something that the devs already have there sights on for a patch. Everything else is minor for me.

Just a fantastic game.
I wouldn't call the my player minutes bug minor.

# 54 ProfessaPackMan @ 10/16/12 12:32 PM
Well he did say minor for HIM.

# 55 Dazraz @ 10/16/12 12:40 PM
The greatest overall sports simulation ever made to date. There have been other great games that have done some things really well but nothing as complete a game as NBA 2K13.

# 56 juicey79 @ 10/16/12 12:49 PM
Who has the best 2k share rosters?

# 57 cjl100gs @ 10/16/12 12:53 PM
I wish they would let you edit rotations for online games, playing with 3 guards and 87 bigs just doesn't cut it

# 58 Frizzz24 @ 10/16/12 01:07 PM
I just don't understand why 2k gets rid of aspects of the game that worked/people liked.

1. Player introductions before games.
2. Player sweat.
3. Manual save.
4. SLIDER share....this one to me is HUGE!

Not digging the ghetto looking menus either. Just looks cheesy.

The gameplay once I get the right sliders will be great though. Looking forward to the court patches too!

# 59 tril @ 10/16/12 01:12 PM
for me it would rank 2nd, for best basketball simulation. The first would be CH2k8.
So far, IveI only played association, so I cant comment on all the other modes.
but as far as on court gameplay, yup there is no denying that the 2k team knocked it out the park. As usual, Its all about learning the gameplay mechanics and all the oncourt features that are available. Once you do this, the game really then becomes a thing of beauty, close to a master piece.

# 60 theprocess @ 10/16/12 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic247
I'll comment after they add defense into the game...
You have to use a controller to play defense...maybe that will help.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.