Home
Feature Article
NCAA Football 14 Revamps Presentation

For too long, the NCAA Football series has been completely stale on the presentation front, with cutscenes that have been around for years now mixed with presentation elements that seem to be thrown together with no real rhyme or reason. That plus the incredibly drawn out game intros mixed with very little game awareness logic from the commentators of how games were unfolding just made for a relatively stale and souless experience.

This year, EA hopes to change all of that with new and targeted presentation additions and changes.

EA wants you to get into the game's quicker this year.

Blur Tempo

EA Sports is introducing a new element into the NCAA Football presentation which they are calling “Blur tempo.”

According to EA, one of the common complaints from consumers the past few years has been the fact pregame festivities can take two to three minutes before you get into the game. This year, EA has eliminated much of the 'fluff' and most of the meat and potatoes of school traditions, etc. are packed within about 30 seconds or so.

For example, it used to take around two minutes for a game in Austin, Texas to actually get to the coin toss (without hitting the A button to dismiss things of course). This year, the NCAA team kept a lot of the moments everyone is used to seeing, like traditions, but now all of those elements are going to be in a quick 30 to 45 second video, showcasing those most memorable moments before starting the game.

One has to wonder if this was a space saving decision, or something else. It looks like EA wants to get you on the field faster, but most of the people who want that already are mashing the A button to skip through anyways.

500 new 'vignettes' will be spaced in between plays this year.

New Cut-Scenes and Camera Angles

The old ‘legacy’ vignettes within NCAA Football for years have been replaced by 500 new vignettes, none of them longer than 3 seconds long which are designed to trigger at the right times. Replay angles look much better this year with various camera angles that are much better than prior years.

Speaking of camera angles, you can now select from a normal, zoomed in, wide and broadcast view. But the broadcast view isn't like Madden, it's actually quite interesting how the NCAA team did it. You can see more of the field in the same up and down view (not horizontal like Madden) but after the snap, it sort of pans out, where you can see a lot more of the field, I wish I was allowed to capture a video showcasing it.

Personally, after I switched to the new broadcast camera angle, I couldn't go back. I’m hoping Madden NFL 25 has that view as well, or has improved their broadcast horizontal view so you can see more of the field. Regardless, I think many players will enjoy the new broadcast view.

A new UI on the front end is similar to the way Madden NFL 13 looked like, it will be dynamic, so when you are running through your dynasty, it will show things like season stats, injured list, who's visiting, etc. Coming out of the game, it shows statistical information like team and game stats instead of having to pause the game to get to the menu to look at them.

The NCAA team is hoping the new storylines feature enhances the in-game experience.

New In-Game Storylines

Drive stories and key player stories have been added in the commentary department to help bolster the in-game experience which has admittedly, been pretty stale for a couple of seasons.

For key player stories, the announcers will talk about how a key players performance is affecting the game. With drive stories, it shows a banner of the last five drives (for example, TD, TD, PUNT, INT, Fumble) and the commentators will talk about how the team started out hot, but is cooling off down the stretch.

Both features seemed cool, but we will have to wait to see them utilized over more games to get a better idea of how they perform.

New equipment and base layers have been added into the game.

Equipment, Other Odds and Ends

On the equipment side of things, the team has added gloves and base layers this year. The NCAA team has also added many of the uniforms missing from last year and more for this year. Also, uniforms are getting more support for post-launch eqipment additions.

For example Cal just announced new uniforms at their Spring game, but they won't be available on disc. However, Cal's new uniforms likely will be added post launch, but there was no mention if there will be a cost.

NCAA 14 has many of the gloves that feature the logos in the palms, including players that will make the "O" for Oregon, Miami holding up the "U".With base layers, you will see teams like Tennessee with the checkerboard on the outside of the sleeve and Rocky Top on the inside. Florida St. has the camo and FSU base layer.

The new FBS programs of South Alabama, Old Dominion and Georgia St. are in.
For those curious about neutral site games in dynasty, all 3 Kickoff Classic Games are in (Chick-fil-A (Georgia Dome), Cowboy (Cowboys Stadium), Texas (Reliant). EA has also brought over Soldier Field, MetLife and M&T Bank from Madden. So you can have those games setup in dynasty with the correct location and you can edit your schedule for neutral field stadiums as well.

A new halftime show will be a part of NCAA 14's presentation.

Halftime Show

Reese Davis and David Pollack are showcased in the new halftime show in NCAA 14. In the build I saw, you never saw them in studio, but you did see key replays from the game and the guys talking over them. The NCAA Football 14 halftime show is presented by Nissan.

In the game I played, neither team got to the quarterback and recorded a sack. So during the halftime show, Reese mentioned that the pass rush has been totally negated. Reece then asks David what the defensive coordinator is telling his players at halftime to make adjustments in the 2nd half to get after the QB. David then talks about not only being able to sack the QB, but also getting pressure, rattle him a little bit, he made a joke about how defensive players were a little fat and the offense gets off the ball quicker.

It seems like the half time crew will lead off with Reese stating an obvious statistical observation and Pollack providing an answer as to how the teams will adjust. Hard to say, it could be more, and it could be even more when the Bowl games are played, but it was good to see highlights from the game, as they were talking and these were key plays in the game, not just an average play from a camera angle that didn't even make sense or was focused on the wrong player, etc.

The presentation looks to be much improved over last year, with several additions really showing off progress in an area that the NCAA series has needed it. We hope to get more hands on time with the game, but things look positive on the presentation front thus far for sure.

NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 jpdavis82 @ 04/18/13 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrMagic91
e3? we cant get a presentation clip like we got with gameplay?? c'mon man
I'm sure they are working on it as we speak. According to people who played the game in March, most of these new Presentation elements weren't even in the game yet. I'm sure they are just working out the kinks to make sure all the Presentation stuff is working properly and then they will release a video shortly after.

# 22 Cowboy008 @ 04/18/13 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Wise_One
This all sounds pretty good so far. For the first time it seems that they are really listening to what the community wants. I just want a video like everyone else! I can't wait for Dynasty.
I feel the same way.

# 23 BA2929 @ 04/18/13 03:54 PM
Quote:
This happens every year. They bring out the text and screen shots first for a few months, then they shove out the videos.

Just be patient. The videos will come.

# 24 Skillsonpills32 @ 04/18/13 03:56 PM
Hate how revolution helmets are still in the game. Revo speed is good but revo looks ********

# 25 The_Wise_One @ 04/18/13 04:02 PM
Quote:
Damn, so no visual commentators?
I was hoping we got it. Could have added to real life TV presentation. Just a quick look at Kirk and Brad or even Rece right before the game.
I don't know. The picture in your head wouldn't be the end result. Would rather them give recaps and stats. Maybe in the coming years.

# 26 Bolt957 @ 04/18/13 04:10 PM
Definitely wondering what that new broadcast cam looks like, sounds to be nice. Good to see neutral site games are in and things like that. But it's alot of new equipment needed to be in the game.

# 27 kingsofthevalley @ 04/18/13 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillsonpills32
Hate how revolution helmets are still in the game. Revo speed is good but revo looks ********
Yea, the revolution face masks have always been out of whack. I always remove them from all players in the editor. Still hoping the new QB revo is in this year also.

# 28 BV11 @ 04/18/13 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillsonpills32
Same. They have had them messed up for how many years now? And madden has had them fixed for the past 2-3 years I believe.

# 29 SteelerSpartan @ 04/18/13 04:47 PM
Are they using the same Field Degradation tech as Madden 13???

# 30 ncaafootball14markus @ 04/18/13 05:19 PM
i was just wondering. how come whenever you guys talk about new equipment, no one asks them if they introduced the new face masks in the game? its been three years and still no word of the revo 2-bar mask (worn by johnny manziel). can someone just ask them if they updated the helmets? madden has had the helmets for 2-3 years now. if the ncaa team is clueless as to which helmets are missing, just tell them to go down the list of madden's helmets, and add any that are missing. can we get an update on this please?

# 31 NoSupport615 @ 04/18/13 05:46 PM
My perception of EA has changed dramatically because I used to be a loyal consumer towards them. I'm not on the hype train because the time for talk on these PRESENT EA games means nothing what so ever. I am not trying to come off as negative or degrade EA but they TALK to much and the time for TALK needs to come to an end. It's time for works to be shown and not HYPE!

# 32 gamerk2 @ 04/18/13 05:56 PM
So basically, presentation is now on par with 2k5...maybe?

(Note: its 2014)

# 33 BigSho31 @ 04/18/13 06:02 PM
The dog and pony, CLOWN SHOW that EA Sports is running is comical at this point. It kills me that the skeleton information they put out there today they dubbed a "presentation reveal". Not one video, nothing that went in depth and they tell you to "keep checking back" for more. I feel like that's been the mantra of the XBox 360/PS3 generation of EA Sports video games..."we didn't get it done this year, but just keep checking back for more". Meanwhile, The Show and NBA 2K is killing it in the presentation and realism dept.

Sorry...I'll believe it if EA Football ever gets their act together. Color me unimpressed.

# 34 Aggies7 @ 04/18/13 06:07 PM
Maybe I missed it but it sounds like they took out the in game Studio Updates.

Was really hoping they would expand that feature.

# 35 jpdavis82 @ 04/18/13 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
Maybe I missed it but it sounds like they took out the in game Studio Updates.

Was really hoping they would expand that feature.
They are still in the game, it talks about it in another article, can't remember which one exactly.

# 36 Steve_OS @ 04/18/13 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoore0192
Thanks for the info Chris, any word on new equipment? Cleats, helmets, primary, secondary colors ect. Or are the gloves and base layers, which are cool, the only new additions? Also, how do the base layers work? Is it an extra option in player editing or is it in the uniform selection screen and applied to every player?
Unfortunately, all I had time for was the 1st half of the game. I couldn't go into any other features to look at anything else. More info when E3 comes rolling around.

# 37 Steve_OS @ 04/18/13 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I think last year they were off in some small room at E3.

Hopefully, they be front and center this year.
No, last year NCAA and Madden were playable at E3.

# 38 Steve_OS @ 04/18/13 06:47 PM
Quote:
Haha, they didn't allow video capture. Hoping they send something or post another blog in the coming days/weeks.

# 39 roadman @ 04/18/13 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
No, last year NCAA and Madden were playable at E3.
Thanks, I stand corrected.

I just thought I remember a report that they were off the beaten track??

# 40 T-Moar @ 04/18/13 07:12 PM
I'm unclear as to how neutral site games are going to work. Are you just going to be able to pick the site for your games this year? Because that would be GREAT.

Also, what does this "blur tempo" mean for custom stadium sounds? I assume we won't have them for run-outs anymore, but will we have to listen to the game's soundtrack on intro every time now?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.