Home
Feature Article
NCAA Football 14 Revamps Presentation

For too long, the NCAA Football series has been completely stale on the presentation front, with cutscenes that have been around for years now mixed with presentation elements that seem to be thrown together with no real rhyme or reason. That plus the incredibly drawn out game intros mixed with very little game awareness logic from the commentators of how games were unfolding just made for a relatively stale and souless experience.

This year, EA hopes to change all of that with new and targeted presentation additions and changes.

EA wants you to get into the game's quicker this year.

Blur Tempo

EA Sports is introducing a new element into the NCAA Football presentation which they are calling “Blur tempo.”

According to EA, one of the common complaints from consumers the past few years has been the fact pregame festivities can take two to three minutes before you get into the game. This year, EA has eliminated much of the 'fluff' and most of the meat and potatoes of school traditions, etc. are packed within about 30 seconds or so.

For example, it used to take around two minutes for a game in Austin, Texas to actually get to the coin toss (without hitting the A button to dismiss things of course). This year, the NCAA team kept a lot of the moments everyone is used to seeing, like traditions, but now all of those elements are going to be in a quick 30 to 45 second video, showcasing those most memorable moments before starting the game.

One has to wonder if this was a space saving decision, or something else. It looks like EA wants to get you on the field faster, but most of the people who want that already are mashing the A button to skip through anyways.

500 new 'vignettes' will be spaced in between plays this year.

New Cut-Scenes and Camera Angles

The old ‘legacy’ vignettes within NCAA Football for years have been replaced by 500 new vignettes, none of them longer than 3 seconds long which are designed to trigger at the right times. Replay angles look much better this year with various camera angles that are much better than prior years.

Speaking of camera angles, you can now select from a normal, zoomed in, wide and broadcast view. But the broadcast view isn't like Madden, it's actually quite interesting how the NCAA team did it. You can see more of the field in the same up and down view (not horizontal like Madden) but after the snap, it sort of pans out, where you can see a lot more of the field, I wish I was allowed to capture a video showcasing it.

Personally, after I switched to the new broadcast camera angle, I couldn't go back. I’m hoping Madden NFL 25 has that view as well, or has improved their broadcast horizontal view so you can see more of the field. Regardless, I think many players will enjoy the new broadcast view.

A new UI on the front end is similar to the way Madden NFL 13 looked like, it will be dynamic, so when you are running through your dynasty, it will show things like season stats, injured list, who's visiting, etc. Coming out of the game, it shows statistical information like team and game stats instead of having to pause the game to get to the menu to look at them.

The NCAA team is hoping the new storylines feature enhances the in-game experience.

New In-Game Storylines

Drive stories and key player stories have been added in the commentary department to help bolster the in-game experience which has admittedly, been pretty stale for a couple of seasons.

For key player stories, the announcers will talk about how a key players performance is affecting the game. With drive stories, it shows a banner of the last five drives (for example, TD, TD, PUNT, INT, Fumble) and the commentators will talk about how the team started out hot, but is cooling off down the stretch.

Both features seemed cool, but we will have to wait to see them utilized over more games to get a better idea of how they perform.

New equipment and base layers have been added into the game.

Equipment, Other Odds and Ends

On the equipment side of things, the team has added gloves and base layers this year. The NCAA team has also added many of the uniforms missing from last year and more for this year. Also, uniforms are getting more support for post-launch eqipment additions.

For example Cal just announced new uniforms at their Spring game, but they won't be available on disc. However, Cal's new uniforms likely will be added post launch, but there was no mention if there will be a cost.

NCAA 14 has many of the gloves that feature the logos in the palms, including players that will make the "O" for Oregon, Miami holding up the "U".With base layers, you will see teams like Tennessee with the checkerboard on the outside of the sleeve and Rocky Top on the inside. Florida St. has the camo and FSU base layer.

The new FBS programs of South Alabama, Old Dominion and Georgia St. are in.
For those curious about neutral site games in dynasty, all 3 Kickoff Classic Games are in (Chick-fil-A (Georgia Dome), Cowboy (Cowboys Stadium), Texas (Reliant). EA has also brought over Soldier Field, MetLife and M&T Bank from Madden. So you can have those games setup in dynasty with the correct location and you can edit your schedule for neutral field stadiums as well.

A new halftime show will be a part of NCAA 14's presentation.

Halftime Show

Reese Davis and David Pollack are showcased in the new halftime show in NCAA 14. In the build I saw, you never saw them in studio, but you did see key replays from the game and the guys talking over them. The NCAA Football 14 halftime show is presented by Nissan.

In the game I played, neither team got to the quarterback and recorded a sack. So during the halftime show, Reese mentioned that the pass rush has been totally negated. Reece then asks David what the defensive coordinator is telling his players at halftime to make adjustments in the 2nd half to get after the QB. David then talks about not only being able to sack the QB, but also getting pressure, rattle him a little bit, he made a joke about how defensive players were a little fat and the offense gets off the ball quicker.

It seems like the half time crew will lead off with Reese stating an obvious statistical observation and Pollack providing an answer as to how the teams will adjust. Hard to say, it could be more, and it could be even more when the Bowl games are played, but it was good to see highlights from the game, as they were talking and these were key plays in the game, not just an average play from a camera angle that didn't even make sense or was focused on the wrong player, etc.

The presentation looks to be much improved over last year, with several additions really showing off progress in an area that the NCAA series has needed it. We hope to get more hands on time with the game, but things look positive on the presentation front thus far for sure.

NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Sausage @ 04/18/13 07:46 PM
I'm very curious of this "new" broadcast angle that is playable and not just for "coach" mode.

# 42 Aggies7 @ 04/18/13 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
"As of March, Studio Updates still in. Work has been done to make sure they do not interrupt drives. New commentary was not in the March build. Any games shown in Studio Updates will be in the end-of-game dynamic load screen so you can see the final score."

http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/for...l=1#post192268
A little confused. Does that mean there won't be studio updates in the middle of games?

I figured they wouldn't remove these but would not be shocked with EAs track record of adding features and then taking them out the following year.

# 43 TexasFan2005 @ 04/18/13 08:52 PM
It's amazing how simple they market these games. All they do is "Well, last year the ______ was boring, repetitive, etc.., this year we made sure to get it right." Rinse and repeat every.single.year. They're not talking about a game made for N64, they're talking about something they sold for $60 not even a year ago, with a solid hype train enabling the price tag.

# 44 BA2929 @ 04/18/13 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
A little confused. Does that mean there won't be studio updates in the middle of games?

I figured they wouldn't remove these but would not be shocked with EAs track record of adding features and then taking them out the following year.

From what I got from the post you quoted, they won't jump in with a Studio update in the middle of a drive. Like if you complete a 2nd and 10 pass for 7 yards, they won't jump in with a Studio Update immediately after. They'll wait for a lull in the game, like before/after a punt/kickoff.

Just what I'm gathering here.

# 45 LambertandHam @ 04/18/13 09:20 PM
Hopefully they've worked on, or have worked out the freezing issues Studio Updates caused.

# 46 Sundown2600 @ 04/18/13 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balljonesjr
I'm still waiting to hear about DB/WR interactions ... I'm starting to believe EA is making sure anyone that gets a hands on view of the game doesn't ruin any secrets or they're giving them a list of things off limits to write about
Not happening man. This will still be the same. Line interaction is the same. They only fixed assignments on running plays, particularly option runs and reads. Pass blocking is exactly the same as last year. I'm still worried about the AI being unable to adapt realistically to real football situations; Down, distance, time, player personal, playcalling etc... It's all icing on a stale cake.

As far as these presentation adds and cam angles great news, but what took so long? Multiple cams should have been in this game yrs ago. I've had that choice ever since I started playing FIFA current gen. I always use the co-op cam because I can see the whole field. One good thing is they won't be able to blame the next gen hardware for any lack of ingenuity and innovation. It's put up or shut up summer 2014 or 15.

# 47 cdawg44 @ 04/18/13 09:44 PM
Woohoo!! Finally the ability to schedule Neutral Site games in dynasty are back!! We had this with NCAA 2000, and haven't had it back since. It's about freakin time!! I may actually play dynasty this year.

# 48 Sparkles @ 04/18/13 10:06 PM
the dynamic loading screens sound cool. it kinda reminds me of ncaa 05 or 06 (?) where they had the info when loading to the start of the game

# 49 MUTTS @ 04/18/13 10:32 PM
Guys:

Ive been a member here for years and post very little. I just prefer to read and download the many excellent rosters. However, now I need to say something.

Ive been a college football official for a few years and it pains me to see the officials wearing white knickers with black stripes. We only wear black pants with a white stripe. Used to wear white knickers but Ive never owned any with a black stripe. Its been that way for a few years now. Can someone who knows someone at EA please pass this on?It drives both me and my 7yo crazy. Im sure Im not the first person to notice this.

Thanks.

T

# 50 smack23011 @ 04/19/13 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTTS
Guys:

Ive been a member here for years and post very little. I just prefer to read and download the many excellent rosters. However, now I need to say something.

Ive been a college football official for a few years and it pains me to see the officials wearing white knickers with black stripes. We only wear black pants with a white stripe. Used to wear white knickers but Ive never owned any with a black stripe. Its been that way for a few years now. Can someone who knows someone at EA please pass this on?It drives both me and my 7yo crazy. Im sure Im not the first person to notice this.

Thanks.

T
See something that little will take YEARS for them to fix. They don't even have chain gang in there.

# 51 ncaafootball14markus @ 04/19/13 04:00 AM
please get all of the face masks that madden has in this year's ncaa, to go along w/ the REFs uniforms!!! STEP UR GAME UP EA.

# 52 bonannogiovanni @ 04/19/13 05:55 AM
Steve, I didn't understand the broadcast cam angle, does it lack a horizontal aspect or is similar to 2k5, like this example shows?

http://youtu.be/ZF4jFvMe9rk

# 53 Steve_OS @ 04/19/13 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
I'm very curious of this "new" broadcast angle that is playable and not just for "coach" mode.
It is playable, it was the angle I was playing in.

# 54 Steve_OS @ 04/19/13 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonannogiovanni
Steve, I didn't understand the broadcast cam angle, does it lack a horizontal aspect or is similar to 2k5, like this example shows?

http://youtu.be/ZF4jFvMe9rk
No, it's not your typical horizontal broadcast view, as seen in Madden and NBA 2K. I really don't even know why they called it the broadcast cam.

Basically, after the snap, the camera pans out and tilts, depending on the play called. It's hard to explain, but I'm trying to get video.

# 55 mshoop3 @ 04/19/13 10:37 AM
NCAA 99 Broadcast View all day..

# 56 bonannogiovanni @ 04/19/13 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
No, it's not your typical horizontal broadcast view, as seen in Madden and NBA 2K. I really don't even know why they called it the broadcast cam.

Basically, after the snap, the camera pans out and tilts, depending on the play called. It's hard to explain, but I'm trying to get video.
Might it be a work in progress, and it's not yet fully implemented? I mean, what's the point of naming it broadcast, they know there's a community demanding broadcast view for years, with all due respect, are they fooling us around otherwise?

# 57 thelasthurtknee @ 04/19/13 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshoop3
NCAA 99 Broadcast View all day..
is that the view you used? i remember it and was excited about it because tecmo was the same way but it was garbage to use. you couldnt see the holes in the running game and depth perception or might i say lateral perception was terrible. seems like i remember it being very zoomed out, but would be good for coach games or watching or whatever yall need it for. i did use the second cam which was a very zoomed out behind the qb view so you could see the wr's. that view has been missing for ever also. i saw someone mention the blimp view and it was a fantastic view. you could see everything develope but was so high that you really didnt feel very involved with the game. the good old days. we even had custom playbooks(x's and o's were simple for a game then) and play creator (was weak but still spent hours making plays in the T offense that didnt work, haha).

# 58 brandon27 @ 04/19/13 12:13 PM
Sounds promising. Not sure I like the shortening of pregame festivities. Especially when you could already just press A to skip the whole thing. Guess we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

Like the idea of the whole game UI, and dynasty UI getting a facelift though. Long overdue IMO.

Hopefully they can fix up and add some new commentary though. It's getting a bit stale, over and over.

# 59 Motown @ 04/19/13 01:04 PM
I thought I read where the broadcast view was vertical & pans out after the snap?

# 60 SageInfinite @ 04/19/13 01:09 PM
I've always wondered why they never tried to replicate the wire cam view for gameplay. I think it could be awesome if done right. It would be authentic to broadcasts and quite playable. That or endzone the end zone cams they use on field goals and replays. So many camera views they use in actual broadcasts could be playable, or at least used for presentation purposes and they don't attempt to replicate them. SMH.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.