Home
Feature Article
E3 2013: Hands-On with NHL 14

EA Sports was showing a slew of current-gen games at E3 this year, and I got a chance to go hands-on with NHL 14 for the PS3. Even though this current-gen game is being slightly overshadowed by the next-gen horizon of FIFA, Madden, UFC and NCAA, the producers on NHL appeared confident in their product. They feel that it addresses some lingering concerns and adds a lot of intensity, thanks to revamped hitting and fighting. From what I played – on Pro difficulty, admittedly – the game seems as rock-solid as ever, and the new additions add something meaningful to the mix.

The new physics-based hitting system, lifted from FIFA's player impact engine, is the most apparent change. Zdeno Chára plays with the heft of a man befitting his 6' 7” frame, and he is able to hit opponents unlike almost anyone else on the ice. I was happy to see opposition players only able to nudge Chára or make him wobble, as he was able to use his size to stabilize himself, especially on the boards. The drive-through and feel of the hitting that EA has talked up was indeed present and accounted for, and the feedback on hitting was great. You could actually focus on lining up your player and going for a hit without worrying about some sticky timing on the right stick, and it was super satisfying to watch players get properly driven against the boards or stood up at the blue line, all with the necessary follow-through and impact.

Like any change towards simplicity, there is a danger of overuse as well as empowering already skilled players with too much of a good thing. However, I'd say that the hitting makes more sense now in the flow of gameplay, as it's more organic in both its execution and presentation. It was always frustrating in previous years to line up a hit and put everything you had at someone only to bounce off or bump up against them. I never experienced that in this demo, as I was able to drive through vulnerable opponents and edge out wingers along the boards. Now, this isn't to say that I didn't miss any hits, because I put myself out of the play several times trying to explore the new feature, so timing is still paramount.

All things considered, I enjoyed the way the new collisions felt. There were entertaining helicopter hits where guys got spun around as the stick came flying out of their hand, and there were impacts where a player just got driven right over, with bone-rattling force. None of this really got so carried away that I thought of the “big hit” button from years gone by, and you can easily counter a crushing hit with the new deking system.

The simplified deking was also a worry for some, myself included. The worry was that it could become overused, especially since the input is being simplified and emphasized. In practice, the dekes feel a lot like the new hitting, with a more organic place amongst the rest of the game's systems. I had hoped that it would feel more “reactive” when using the deke system, and that seems to be the case. By holding L1 (or the left bumper) and flicking the left stick in a direction, your player – throttled by skill level – will be able to perform minor dekes, stick drags, jukes and curls. The right stick input for flashier loose puck dekes is still in the game, and the developers emphasized that the new deking was meant to add speed and finesse to that part of the game, but that it was for simpler space-creating dekes. It certainly felt that way to me, as I was able to shimmy around defenders from time to time, creating the necessary space to get by. Then again, the producer playing the game flattened me a good deal when I tried to get too cagey with the moves, so there is a balance.

Speaking of balance, you'll need plenty of that in NHL 14's new fighting engine. This feature is sure to be a crowd-pleaser, as scrums happen much more believably now, and they are a hell of a lot fun. Harkening back to 2K's hockey fight engine, you're able to circle your opponent initially, and you can decide when to engage. You can even throw a punch before the clinch, but it might leave you a bit open. Once the clinch begins, you'll be spinning around, trading jabs, uppercuts and hooks, all the while trying to time the R2 (right trigger) dodge moves to create openings in the scrap. Punching is mapped to the right stick, and it feels great, and the left stick pushes and pulls your opponent off balance. There were some amazing sequences with multiple bombs landing, a helmet flying off, the crowd popping as a dude kept getting fed, and then both combatants falling over in a heap. I had several fights during my play time, and they were all entertaining, memorable and unique. Even better, everyone else is present during a fight this year, and other players will jostle and shove while the fight goes on. Better still, the right players will fight at the right times. You can have Dustin Brown fight for the Kings if you want, but he's going to get rag-dolled by a bigger player – and that can happen in this fight engine. More than likely, a bigger player will rush in to defend him. Oh yeah: real-time fight damage was apparent, with some bruising on some of my tough guys. Fun stuff.

Here are some other housekeeping items: the puck-chop move is now more intuitive, and you can execute the move while approaching the puck, queueing it up; the revised defensive skating adds to the hitting action, and it allows defenders to keep a wider cone of vision on attackers, meaning less time going the wrong way; goalies seemed more human (albeit on pro difficulty), as several one-timers were scored across the crease, and they had some new glove save animations; the poke-check has been toned down, and player attribute levels will affect it more; finally, the “Live the Life” mode was mentioned only briefly, but it sounds as if interactions with the media in the mode will be a lot of fun.

Final Thoughts

Overall, the action felt crisp and responsive, and it was reinvigorated with the new physicality and speedier dekes. I know everyone is going to enjoy the hitting, as it is truly satisfying, but I'm sure many will adjust sliders to keep it at a level that suits their preference. The fighting should be met with universal love, as it was a blast to play. Other adjustments seem smart and subtle, but we won't know of their true impact until we see the full game. Expect to hear more on the other modes and features very soon.

NHL 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 canucksss @ 06/13/13 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99

If EA's solution to crappy AI is 'play online' then they can say goodbye to my annual $60 donation to bug-test their games.
This, I believe, is what EA wants. Forcing us to play ONLINE so we could buy the stupid sets to juice up our players instead of building our players up. What it teaches players you can get anything you want and in the fast way if you just have $$$$, instead of hardwork and perserverance.

PLUS, these IDIOTS who think that this game will make them "manly" , ALWAYS trashtalks, cuzzing, and use the same exploits.

# 22 hf199 @ 06/13/13 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
No mention of bringing back the group celebrations, nor of any improvements in the presentation area.

Has me concerned that with the new fighting, skating, etc the overused excuse will be " ran outta time".
This is the only game that makes no improvement in presentation or commentary and real life referees on the ice! Every other EA game has concentrated not only on game play but everything else too. NHL should be no exception! Fine better skating and hitting but how many developer years are going to tinker around with that if a game can't be immersed in the game?! Like the use of jumbotrons during power plays, specific chants, banners on the rafters (NHL 98), real life coaches, better detailed arenas, arena names, booth commentary like Madden, maybe throw in some Hockey Night in Canada themes since you don't even use ESPN anymore. Picking your own equipment for players and goalies (colors, brands). I'm sick of this we ran out of time or we needed to work on fighting, seriously. Same old song and dance every year

# 23 canucksss @ 06/13/13 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Same position I'm in. Approaching 50 with a job that I don't get home from until 10:30pm Pacific.

I have no time nor desire to play online with a bunch of kiddies who cheese to get their 9 goals per game average. Also it's hard for me to join a league here, due to my work schedule as mentioned above. And as well, my friends don't even own consoles...(again, my age bracket)

Plus the honey-do lists, taking care of my folks in their senior ages, etc. I'm lucky if I can find about an hour to play as it is.
im glad that im not the oldest here in EA NHL forum...im 45 yo

like you, i dont have time joining EASHL. If ever, i will do the SENIOR's league with the current teams and no BAP's. Coz i dont have time to develop my player and dont want to waste money in stupid idea of EA.

as the other post mentioned, its the only NHL among all EA sports titles that seems LESS attention from developers. DONT FREAKING SAY BECAUSE ITS THE BUDGET. Why not release every other year, so that you will not release a crappy product.

i dont want to wish something ill towards others, but how i wish this NHL franchise will get new guys at the helm. release Ramj...and others....in secular company, if expectations is not met, hack the higher ups and put in new blood.

# 24 blinky @ 06/13/13 01:13 PM
Money, Sega and Canucks, I know how you're feeling. I've had my share of disasters against online opponents. Have you considered joining an online league?

Combine the GM team building aspect to good wholesome fun against mature opponents.
www.virtualhockeyassociation.com
We're migrating to console for the first time, so the website is under construction.

Kids aren't welcome in our league that's been running for over 12 years. If this interests you, message me on YIM (handle staedlerserg) or privately on this forum for more information.

You should know there's a place for guys like us in the online world

# 25 Money99 @ 06/13/13 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky
Money, Sega and Canucks, I know how you're feeling. I've had my share of disasters against online opponents. Have you considered joining an online league?

Combine the GM team building aspect to good wholesome fun against mature opponents.
www.virtualhockeyassociation.com
We're migrating to console for the first time, so the website is under construction.

Kids aren't welcome in our league that's been running for over 12 years. If this interests you, message me on YIM (handle staedlerserg) or privately on this forum for more information.

You should know there's a place for guys like us in the online world
Thanks for the invite blinky.
But just like Segagendudem, with a wife, three kids and a 55-hour workweek, sports, etc, it's next to impossible to set aside any 'regular' time to get gaming in.
My block of free time is next to nothing so I would drag any online league down while everyone waited for me to get my games in.
I've been dying to play State of Decay ever since info starting coming out, but I've had literally 0 time to even try it (which is killing me).
I'd hate to be an anchor to any league out there.
But thanks for the offer, very kind of you.

# 26 peter21 @ 06/13/13 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
This, I believe, is what EA wants. Forcing us to play ONLINE so we could buy the stupid sets to juice up our players instead of building our players up. What it teaches players you can get anything you want and in the fast way if you just have $$$$, instead of hardwork and perserverance.

PLUS, these IDIOTS who think that this game will make them "manly" , ALWAYS trashtalks, cuzzing, and use the same exploits.
Is it just me, or is anyone else alarmed by the amount of racism you hear playing online? Some people 'hiding' behind their PSN handles are truly ugly. I messaged one guy after an EASHL game and said I was reporting his and his team's name. I got about 20 messages that went from cursing me out, to begging me not to report him.

Gotta shame these idiots into behaving themselves online.

# 27 13whitebread @ 06/13/13 03:07 PM
Where is the author of this post can he at least comment and say yes bros my hands are tied and they won't let me say anything about certain areas of the game. We're the announcers calling the game? Was there only rinks sounds? Are the score overlays changed? etc..... I love the passion of this group hockey brings this out of us. Hardcore and playing since the original on sega it's been a great journey maybe with the next system we will be looking at the holy grail of hockey games I hope they turn the page it started with the skill stick. But the last few years they are coasting but hopefully we are close. I like they are just not going to port the
game to the new systems take another year and squeeze the next system give what we all deserve after buying the game year after year.

# 28 Mikey88 @ 06/13/13 05:21 PM
Quote:
I loathe online. I've only been online a few times but in those handful of occasions, I've heard so much swearing, trash talk, homophobic slurs, you name it.
None of my friends have this game so it's basically left to OS members. But then I need to schedule a game with them.

I'm old - nearly 40. I've been bread on offline gaming and that's how it'll be the rest of my life.
NHL2K3 had unbelievable AI. Every game felt different and organic. If that could be done on a PS2, then why can't it be done on a 360 or PS3? And certainly on the next-gen boxes.

If EA's solution to crappy AI is 'play online' then they can say goodbye to my annual $60 donation to bug-test their games.
Half the time I don't even have the sound on in my game, rarely do I use my headset unless I know the person or something. I've received racist, insulting messages from other players but I pay no mind, block the person and never think about it twice. It doesn't deter me from playing

# 29 Money99 @ 06/13/13 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter21
Is it just me, or is anyone else alarmed by the amount of racism you hear playing online? Some people 'hiding' behind their PSN handles are truly ugly. I messaged one guy after an EASHL game and said I was reporting his and his team's name. I got about 20 messages that went from cursing me out, to begging me not to report him.

Gotta shame these idiots into behaving themselves online.
Not to take this thread off topic, but talk on an old CB radio sometime.
Think the world's getting less ignorant? Think again after 5 minutes on the original message boards, haha.

Mikey, it's still too much work sifting through good people to play against.
I want to fire up my console and get in a fun game against the CPU. Unfortunately, the NHL series really hasn't offered me that since NHL07.

# 30 Wiggy @ 06/13/13 09:04 PM
To clarify some stuff that people have asked:

- the commentary was off, but it's the same crew (I know...)
- the visual presentation (highlights, etc.) seemed roughly the same, but the fights were now included in the replays, showing various punches and the finish
- the stick sweep behaved relatively the same way; both that and the poke check have been revised so that you'll likely have a better chance of a steal or poke if you're gliding; if you speed after someone and try and poke, it will be a penalty
- interference seemed to be called slightly more
- goalies were more human, as they didn't get to all of the one-timers
- goalie glove saves look great now

# 31 F1Maniac2008 @ 06/14/13 04:49 AM
Found at least some video on youtube.
It's not much but you can see the new Enforcer Engine at work and a little gameplay (some hits):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2oc4sNHVgQ (only 1:26min though)

# 32 Money99 @ 06/14/13 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy

- the visual presentation (highlights, etc.) seemed roughly the same, but the fights were now included in the replays, showing various punches and the finish
- the stick sweep behaved relatively the same way; both that and the poke check have been revised so that you'll likely have a better chance of a steal or poke if you're gliding; if you speed after someone and try and poke, it will be a penalty
So it's pretty much the same as last year?
The other thing I worry about is how the monthly tuner and patches will change how the game feels.

Honestly, I'd be 100% in on this if I heard the CPU was no longer given cheats and boosts.

# 33 13whitebread @ 06/14/13 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy

Boys that's just brutal for me personally. I think I'll try madden this year instead of hockey very dissapointing. derektown out!

# 34 MizzouRah @ 06/14/13 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Maniac2008
Found at least some video on youtube.
It's not much but you can see the new Enforcer Engine at work and a little gameplay (some hits):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2oc4sNHVgQ (only 1:26min though)
Wow.. that enforcer engine looks excellent.

Can't wait for this game.. I want to see more presentation stuff though.

# 35 der juicen @ 06/15/13 01:44 PM
Quote:
I loathe online. I've only been online a few times but in those handful of occasions, I've heard so much swearing, trash talk, homophobic slurs, you name it.
None of my friends have this game so it's basically left to OS members. But then I need to schedule a game with them.

I'm old - nearly 40. I've been bread on offline gaming and that's how it'll be the rest of my life.
NHL2K3 had unbelievable AI. Every game felt different and organic. If that could be done on a PS2, then why can't it be done on a 360 or PS3? And certainly on the next-gen boxes.

Heh, that's funny. No one ever talks when I'm playing.

# 36 Wiggy @ 06/15/13 02:46 PM
Group celebration did not appear to be back in, and the producer gave me kind of a weird answer about it, so I assume they're not there. Odd, I know.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.