Home
Feature Article
NCAA Football 14 Recruiting Guide

This is a guest post from forum user JLoco11. Be sure to check him out on his arena page here on OS.

I did quite a bit of testing this weekend with recruiting and the skill tree to get an idea of how things will work when I do my normal dynasty (after the rosters are completed). I simmed multiple first seasons of dynasty with different level teams, progression rates and recruiting methods and gained a decent amount of knowledge in doing so.

Here’s a very early guide for those interested in some recruiting tips. As your skill tree changes, so will your need to choose different recruiting tactics.

Basics

Know the value of your team. Unlike other NCAA’s, ’14 puts an emphasis on school strengths AND coach strengths in terms of recruiting. A Sun Belt school isn’t going to land the top 15 recruits in year 1. Big name schools (USC, Texas, Bama, Ohio State) are going to have easier times in year 1 recruiting. If you take a mid-tier/3* star school, you will have to work harder to land coveted recruits.

Plan your depth chart. I can’t stress this enough, you need to balance out the amount of Seniors, Juniors, Redshirts, etc on your roster. If you go into a recruiting season with 23 seniors, you will have a hard time filling all those spots. Use redshirting wisely to balance out how many players will graduate (or potentially leave school early). 15-18 positions to fill is reasonable. 20+ will be much more difficult in your early years.

Target what you need. Getting all 25 scholarships in year 1 will be a challenge (except for the top schools). 12-15 targets is ideal to capture what you need. Replace outgoing Seniors, and plan ahead for star underclassmen that could leave for the draft.

Plan your coaching skill tree ahead. I will go into more detail on this later, but planning ahead on what recruiting boosts you will need is the ideal way to get an advantage over other schools.

Advanced

Location Location Location. It seems a large percentage of recruits value Proximity to Home in ’14… it’s quite a popular dealbreaker in the game. While you may have a pipeline across the country (Cali, Texas, Florida), you might see that a recruits priority is Proximity to Home, and you will not land that recruit. Ideally in your first year, go for recruits close to home, or those that do not have Proximity to Home as a requirement.

Higher Need = Higher Points. Goes without saying, but throw everything you can into your top recruits. The CPU does this every time. They max out points into the recruits they want, and schedule visits before you do (more on this later). Don’t be cheap on points with the absolute needed players.

Offer scholarships immediately. Only 1 school (Bama) has the insta commit skill available from the default settings. Unless you alter the skill trees, no school will get insta commits until you rank up your skill tree. That being said, offer scholarships immediately since there is no reason to wait. You want to jack up your point totals early, so if you want a recruit, give them a scholarship offer right away.

Use the filters!!! One of the additions to the point system is a filter that shows you the largest lead & deficit you have when recruiting. You can sort your recruits by these and it will show you how much ground you are ahead or behind, which can determine how many points you want to invest in a recruit. Late in the season, when visits are occurring and battles begin, this is imperative to use… no joke, you will thank me later.

The lonely recruit. If you get lucky, you will target someone that nobody wants. You will notice that after a few weeks, you gain a significant point advantage over other schools, and may notice no scholarships are offered to that student. If that is the case, REMOVE all points from him! You will be wasting valuable points on someone who will be heading to your school as long as you offered him a scholarship. Use the points somewhere else.

Bonus Points will help. You will notice each recruit receives automatic bonus point total each week, and this is NOT a random number. The bonus points are affected by how you play each week, from beating rivals to your play style. For example, Pocket Passing QB’s will get more bonus points the more yards you pass for. Scrambler QB’s will get more points for QB rushing yards. Balanced will benefit from both. This goes for all positions, and each tendency requires something different from your team. Pay attention to the bonuses.

CPU’s logic. Out of curiosity, I decided to make some coordinators mid-season to see how certain schools were recruiting. EVERY school goes after 10 players or so with max points. They don’t bother with partial points, they put the max into the positions they want. If they can put 550 points, they put 550 points into a recruit. If they can put 700, they put 700, there is no middle ground with the CPU. So if you find yourself in a battle with a school, remember that they put the max points every single week.

On Campus Visits

Visits now require strategy. In prior games your only worry was when to schedule visits. Now the on campus visit takes MUCH more priority and knowledge and essentially is the heart of recruiting. The first part of recruiting is getting enough points to earn a recruit visit. Since recruits will only make 5 visits, the importance is escalated even higher.

Get into the 5! I can’t stress this enough, you MUST get into a recruits top 5 choices to at least get an on campus visit. Visits can be worth over 1,000 points (some can go up to 1,500 points). If you miss out on being in a recruits top 5 for a campus visit, you might as well give up on him, since your chance of landing him becomes extremely minimal.

Complimentary & Competitive. In years past, you could schedule 3 QBs to visit in a week and there was no penalty. Now, the game tracks which recruits are visiting each week AND adds a compliment or competitive point total. Complimentary points measure players who mesh well, like QB WR, OL etc or DE, DT, MLB etc. You receive bonuses for complimentary visits. On the other hand, you receive Competitive deductions for schedule rival players, such as 2 Kickers or 4 WR’s. Avoid competitive visits by scheduling any competitive player during a different game. However, if you followed my original advice on managing the depth chart, you should do your best to avoid recruiting too many players at 1 position.

When to visit. This is the biggest gamble you will take. Scheduling a recruit later in the year means more points on the visit. BUT, if the CPU schedules just before you, they could actually steal away your recruit with a good visit. Scheduling early could give you an early lead that you can build off of, but if another team manages a solid late in the year visit, they could steal that recruit back. Unquestionably, this is the part of the game that will determine where a recruit will sign. You only get 1 visit, and will need to make it count.

CPU schedules first. 1 thing to note, if you and the CPU unlock enough interest for a visit at the same time, the CPU will schedule their visit before you do. They might take a week you want, and there is nothing you can do about that. This is why you need to get a lead quickly to get first dibs on your visit week. If you’re fighting with 5 teams, and all 6 of you unlock the visit interest… guess what, the 5 CPU schools will schedule their visits before you do. This puts an even bigger stress on how hard you recruit your players.

Pay attention to visit bonuses. When recruits visit, they will also pay attention to how your team plays when they arrive. If you have a TE visiting, you can get a 200 point bonus if you have a TE with 100 yards receiving. If you have a CB visiting, you will get a bonus for having 2 interceptions or 4 passes deflected. Each time recruits come to a game, make sure you hit their bonuses for more points on a visit.

The Yo-Yo Effect. When the CPU starts their visits, it's perfectly normal to fall behind by huge numbers. You will see 1,500 - 2,000 point swings in their favor. Depending on the time of year, this could be a small nuisance, or a huge roadblock. If this happens in earlier weeks, then you have a chance of passing them with your visit. If their visit happens later in the year, and if they have a successful visit, you could LOSE the recruit entirely, watching them commit to that school. Don't be alarmed if you see yourself fall behind after a CPU campus visit... but be wary of the schools that have late seasons visits.

Off Season

1 week to sign. EA shortened the final signing period to 1 day, where you have no limits on how many points you can put into 1 player. You can assign 1 recruit max level points (the highest is 15,000) or spread out your point total among your final players. This is your last chance to land the recruits you want and need, so make sure you land that recruit.

Expect heartbreak. If you made it this far, and have 8+ recruits that you’re battling for, expect to lose quite a few of them. The CPU logic is to throw all their points at some recruits, so if you’re fighting with XYZ school, expect XYZ school to throw all their points at that candidate. If you’re trying to space out your points among multiple recruits, chances are you won’t land many. Ideally, if you have only 2-3 recruits you want or need, that’s where to spend all your points. Whatever recruits you didn’t sign during the season, you will have a slimmer chance in the offseason to get all of them.

Transfer/Draft promises. It seems that promises for recruits are no longer available (unless I missed the screen they were located on, which I don’t think I did). The only promises you can make now, are for players who are leaving, who you can try to convince to stay. You can promise them getting a degree, or better draft position if they were to hold out another year before entering. If you promise someone they will be a first round draft pick, that becomes something they will hold you to. So be honest in your assessments of their talent.

NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Locke888 @ 12/18/16 12:27 AM
Just curious, does anyone know if the recruits in the game are randomly generated each year or are same sets of recruits repeated after every x # of years?

# 82 bigmachingon @ 12/18/16 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke888
Just curious, does anyone know if the recruits in the game are randomly generated each year or are same sets of recruits repeated after every x # of years?
Generated by a "controlled random" they have Presets done

# 83 Locke888 @ 12/18/16 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmachingon
Generated by a "controlled random" they have Presets done
I'm sorry but can you explain more?

You mean the same set of recruits could be generated in back to back years? I hope not

# 84 jhfstyle24 @ 12/21/16 01:31 PM
Quote:
I'm sorry but can you explain more?

You mean the same set of recruits could be generated in back to back years? I hope not
I don't believe so... I think what he is saying is that there is a preset list of rules that generates the recruits. If one of those rules is that you cannot have the same set of recruits, then you won't.

(I don't actually know for certain, just trying to read what he wrote here in my own way)

# 85 bigmachingon @ 12/21/16 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhfstyle24
I don't believe so... I think what he is saying is that there is a preset list of rules that generates the recruits. If one of those rules is that you cannot have the same set of recruits, then you won't.

(I don't actually know for certain, just trying to read what he wrote here in my own way)
Exactly, one guy who was a dev for the game said it once in reddit

# 86 Locke888 @ 01/02/17 06:21 PM
I was doing some testing with recruiting...
Offensive tackle Eric Berg had me at #1 at the beginning of week 2.
He was 29% locked.
I put 1045 points on him (345 bonus, 700 Pts)
The next week I was still #1 and he was 44% locked.
So if you do the math 1045=15%. The approximate # of points needed to sign him would be 6975.
So I should sign him by week 8. This should put me over 100%
But this did not happen. I maxed him out every week and eventually signed him in week 12.
The only thing I noticed is that by week 6 or 7 it had changed from"lock%" to "we made the cut".
Does anyone have any insights into how all of this works? Anymore info?

Another thing I found out is if you do not offer you cannot get above 73%(I think we all know this) but any points you put on someone after you get to 73% may as well be thrown in the trash, they go towards nothing. You could be maxing out points for a few weeks and finally offer him and he won't commit due to banking all those points for 3 weeks he will only go up 10-15%

# 87 Locke888 @ 01/03/17 05:55 PM
I was giving this more thought, I think what happened is that I got Eric Berg to 100% locked but since there was another team still within x # of points it then turned into a "battle with another team". What is x? 2000 points? I have to test it to see. But then what determines when a player commits to one of the schools in the battle for him? Interesting system ea created here.
I love figuring these things out. I've had the game only 6 months and really have just been having fun with it.

# 88 Locke888 @ 01/04/17 11:43 AM
More testing.....
I have found out the answer to my question in my previous post.
Example: let's say you have a recruit you are going all in for and you know by the next week you will get to 100% locked. You know the point total to get is 6000ish. The next week comes and you find that you are "in a battle"/"made the cut" with 2 other schools. You are still in the lead but UCF is -550 and Miami is -1100.
EA is using a system where you must be ahead by 25% of the total lock points to sign a guy outright, so.....6000(.25)=1500
If any team is within 1500 points of the leader after lock has been achieved then that team is considered to be "in a battle".
If any team finally does achieve a 1500+ point lead on the 2nd place team they will then sign the recruit, per my example.

You'll see the note "must stay within ____ to stay in".(at the cutoff line) If you multiply that # by4 that was how many points was needed for a100% lock

# 89 Locke888 @ 01/06/17 11:48 AM
Some strange things occur during recruiting...
I was doing more simming and at 1 point,
1.OSU lead
2. PSU-1500
3. Locked out Michigan(did not see points behind)
The very next week
1.OSU
2.Michigan -800, gained +8300
3.PSU locked out at -1550

Some really random stuff. To use the lock pick you need to be within2000 points of the last place team right? Because if that's true how did Michigan gain on me +8300? Random stuff is good because you don't know what will happen but I'm glad it's rare.

# 90 Locke888 @ 04/03/17 12:47 PM
I purchased the recruiting reports feature and took a look at offseason recruiting.
This is only 1 season of data.....
75% of all teams will divide their points up between 5 recruits.
So a team with 10000 points will put 2000 on each guy. They seem to offer anywhere between 1-5 scholarships at this time also. So to see 1980 points on 5 guys means they offered 2 scholarships to random guys as well at 50 points a pop.
20% of all teams will divide their points between 4 recruits.
3% will divide between 3 recruits. So some odd stuff though. Akron and ULL only used 6000 points out of 10000. Not sure why. Could just be a glitch.
2% (3 teams)will put all points on 1 guy. Doesn't seem to matter the caliber of recruit either. They're not always going after the 5 star with this.

I assume the weekly bonus still applies towards recruits in offseason so checking the coach info/coaching skill tree/offseason point bonus(of other coaches you are battling recruits for)and then doing a little math would tell you how much you would need to put on a recruit to land him(figuring a team will divide points between 5 guys)

# 91 Locke888 @ 04/03/17 10:59 PM
Looking at the offseason #s again.....

The games logic seems fine when teams are putting points on 1 or 5 players. But it seems off when they only put points on 3 or 4 players. These teams are leaving a lot of points unused. It doesn't make sense. Has anyone Ever figured out what is going on with it?

# 92 Locke888 @ 04/04/17 12:27 AM
Apparently scholarship offers mean nothing in the offseason. Only thing that matters is who is in the points lead at the end.

Then this.... I am -180 on a WR and in 2nd place. I put 3300 points on him. The result is I lose by 4435 points and I am now in 5th place. The team that won put 0 on him and the others put approximately 2000 towards him. Makes no sense.

# 93 JHamilton9 @ 04/05/17 12:24 AM
Quote:
Apparently scholarship offers mean nothing in the offseason. Only thing that matters is who is in the points lead at the end.

Then this.... I am -180 on a WR and in 2nd place. I put 3300 points on him. The result is I lose by 4435 points and I am now in 5th place. The team that won put 0 on him and the others put approximately 2000 towards him. Makes no sense.
Was the team that won in first place going into the offseason? It does seem like a huge margin to miss a recruit by.

I had something similar happen with one recruit, but I lost him by under 200 points. The only thing I could figure out is the weekly bonus you get with your recruit is now 5x bigger. The offseason is compressed to one week in NCAA 14, but older versions would have you manage your points on a weekly basis.

In NCAA 14, I thought it applied the bonus once for the offseason, but it might apply the bonus five times to simulate the 5 weeks of recruiting. I lost my recruit to a school who was "Close to Home" and had high "Conference Prestige," which were 2 of the top 3 recruiting pitches for him. I didn't get any bonus points for either one of those pitches, even though I was in first-place going into the offseason.

I didn't research it any further than comparing my team to the winning school, but it was my closest logical explanation.

# 94 Locke888 @ 04/05/17 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton9
Was the team that won in first place going into the offseason? It does seem like a huge margin to miss a recruit by.

I had something similar happen with one recruit, but I lost him by under 200 points. The only thing I could figure out is the weekly bonus you get with your recruit is now 5x bigger. The offseason is compressed to one week in NCAA 14, but older versions would have you manage your points on a weekly basis.

In NCAA 14, I thought it applied the bonus once for the offseason, but it might apply the bonus five times to simulate the 5 weeks of recruiting. I lost my recruit to a school who was "Close to Home" and had high "Conference Prestige," which were 2 of the top 3 recruiting pitches for him. I didn't get any bonus points for either one of those pitches, even though I was in first-place going into the offseason.

I didn't research it any further than comparing my team to the winning school, but it was my closest logical explanation.
Louisiana was the team in the lead before and Rice won the recruit who was at least 3rd place. Just can't explain this.

I did some more testing. I did all the calculations as in previous posts.
I only put points on 5 guys and only put as much on each to where I would win by 5 points. 3 of 5 worked absolutely perfect. 1 guy no one signed, I was in the lead but did not offer scholarship.(I have noticed some guys sign in offseason with teams that never offered so I thought it didn't matter but I need to test this more) The last guy I lost big again like before. I did not offer here again and the team that won did. I'm thinking none of my points toward him counted because he was locked above 73%. Did not notice beforehand. But even when I calculated that in it didn't match the points I lost by. The team I lost to did not have the ability to steal recruit away from top school either.
To be safe I guess I'll offer everyone from now on.

It's like the games logic just uses the nuclear option on some of your recruits randomly just so you don't get everyone.

# 95 Locke888 @ 04/09/17 07:31 PM
I came across something I have not seen yet.

Week 13, The recruit is locked. I'm in first place. It's between me and Nevada, everyone else is locked out. I have offered a scholarship. It says "must be within 1750 to stay in". The thing is Nevada is 6300 behind! Why hasn't Nevada been locked out??? I wonder if this is a case where the recruit doesn't sign with anyone at the end? Anybody seen this?

# 96 jello1717 @ 04/17/17 06:37 PM
Quote:
I came across something I have not seen yet.

Week 13, The recruit is locked. I'm in first place. It's between me and Nevada, everyone else is locked out. I have offered a scholarship. It says "must be within 1750 to stay in". The thing is Nevada is 6300 behind! Why hasn't Nevada been locked out??? I wonder if this is a case where the recruit doesn't sign with anyone at the end? Anybody seen this?
Did someone lose thousands of points this week? When another team pulls a scholly offer (usually because they signed another kid) they drops them usually to the bottom of the list and you'll see a huge drop for them. Often when that happens, the 1st team that was locked out (often by a lot) gets moved up above the line due to bad programming. It'll get sorted out the next week and Nevada will drop back below the line, and if Nevada is the only team above it with you, then you'll sign him next week.

EDIT: Just in case it's tough to follow that verbosity:

WEEK 12:
You
Florida -300 (-10)
--------------------
Nevada -6000 (-600)
FSU -7000 (-600)
Miami -7500 (-600)

WEEK 13: (Florida pulls his scholly offer)
You
Nevada -6600 (-600)
--------------------
FSU -7600 (-600)
Miami -8100 (-600)
Florida -9000 (-11000)

WEEK 14:
You (SIGNED)
--------------
Nevada and everyone else

# 97 Locke888 @ 04/17/17 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
Did someone lose thousands of points this week? When another team pulls a scholly offer (usually because they signed another kid) they drops them usually to the bottom of the list and you'll see a huge drop for them. Often when that happens, the 1st team that was locked out (often by a lot) gets moved up above the line due to bad programming. It'll get sorted out the next week and Nevada will drop back below the line, and if Nevada is the only team above it with you, then you'll sign him next week.

EDIT: Just in case it's tough to follow that verbosity:

WEEK 12:
You
Florida -300 (-10)
--------------------
Nevada -6000 (-600)
FSU -7000 (-600)
Miami -7500 (-600)

WEEK 13: (Florida pulls his scholly offer)
You
Nevada -6600 (-600)
--------------------
FSU -7600 (-600)
Miami -8100 (-600)
Florida -9000 (-11000)

WEEK 14:
You (SIGNED)
--------------
Nevada and everyone else
Thanks jello, I had another example of this happening in online dynasty and the issue resolved like you explained.
About to do off-season recruiting in this OD and put everything I have learned to the test. Hoping to get 6 guys according to calculations, let's see what happens.

Did not think CPU would pull scholarship offers, good info.

# 98 voltronollie @ 04/19/17 04:26 PM
I'm curious, does moving a guy to a certain position for a year increase desired stats? If I have a 6'7" 77 WR with enough blocking to make him a 70 TE would it be beneficial to move him to a OT position for his RS year? Would his blocking be the main focus of upgrade?

# 99 BookWork123 @ 04/19/17 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltronollie
I'm curious, does moving a guy to a certain position for a year increase desired stats? If I have a 6'7" 77 WR with enough blocking to make him a 70 TE would it be beneficial to move him to a OT position for his RS year? Would his blocking be the main focus of upgrade?

I believe so, but it destroys their awareness. You could edit that back up though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 100 Locke888 @ 04/23/17 01:41 PM
Quote:
Thanks jello, I had another example of this happening in online dynasty and the issue resolved like you explained.
About to do off-season recruiting in this OD and put everything I have learned to the test. Hoping to get 6 guys according to calculations, let's see what happens.

Did not think CPU would pull scholarship offers, good info.
Ok, thought I would post what happened in my OD in offseason recruiting.

I went after 6 recruits using all I have learned
1. WR- put 880 points on this guy, should win by 5-10 points based on other teams dividing their points between 5 recruits.
The CPU used the nuclear option on this guy and I lost by 5965 points.
2. SS- put 1535 pts on him. Lost by 575 points to Colorado. Colorado did not even put pts on him and he was not even on their list(I have recruiting reports feature)?????? Only thing I can think of is I had already signed a good SS during the season. So he went where he could play? IDK
3. HB- I screwed this one up and did the math wrong. Stupid. Lost by 95 points. If I would have done it right I would have won this. 100 point error
4. OLB- Put 1450 on him. But he never signed anywhere. He was only like 50% locked, maybe he needs to be 100 to sign even in offseason?
5. WR- I really wanted this one I put 2780 on him. Lost by 550. USC got him by only dividing their pts into 4 recruits. I expect this to happen from time to time.
6. QB- Finally I signed someone. Put 1505 and won by 1000+

Not what I was hoping for☹️

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.