Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K14: Next-Gen Details on Gameplay, AI, New Modes and more!

2K Sports today revealed a whole boatload of information about NBA 2K14 on next-gen consoles, which includes a four-tier approach with NBA Today, MyCAREER. MyTEAM and MyGM all receiving a huge imagining for next-generation consoles.

Aholbert32 attended the event and will post what he can, when he can. Follow him on Twitter. Hands-on impressions, etc. are coming soon from the event!

Check out the full details from the presser.

Graphics and New Engine

The first thing you need to know, NBA 2K14 is not a port. It has been built from the ground up for the new hardware with a new engine called "Eco Motion."

The game will feature much improved graphics, with additional details like leg tattoos, new celebrations, hairstyles, and facial hair.

2K will be focusing its efforts on four main pillars of gameplay: NBA Today, MyCAREER, MyTEAM, and MyGM.

NBA Today is brand new, built from the ground up. Video highlights from previous days games will be shown with the menu looking like a scoreboard w/ all games listed.

All your NBA news connected on your console updated daily. This is all driven by Dynamic Living Rosters - which is adjust daily based on how players are performing in the real world.

Points of emphasis has been added to the game, which is a feature last saw in the old College Hoops franchise. No warmup outfit for bench players, but the crowds look much better. There are now less duplicates in the crowd. FYI the gameplay clip we saw was only 4 possessions.

Little imperfections of dirt on the backboard tells you all you need to know about the attention to detail. 2K built a material library. It looks like 2K took each arena and really upgraded them.

Details shown at scorers table. A thumbprint on a monitor is shown. Redid the scoreboards in each arena and the lighting in each arena, it is a small but definitely noticeable improvement.

Now showing off the new LED dynamic lighting system. Just stunning. Scoreboard lights are dynamic and showcase reflections.

2K actually measured the color temperature of lights and count the number of lights and manufacturer of lights.

2K now showcasing Kobe Bryant getting head scanned. Kobe hung around while they built his model and his reaction was "GTFO here"

Watching Lebron face map. Asking him to make intense faces. Can’t lie the game has his and Kobe’s face down. KD’s and Iguodala face maps. Both look great. Even have KD’s bad skin.

The team captured and head scanned constantly working around NBA schedules to capture nearly every player in the NBA. Hundreds of players with thousands of expressions you will see in the game. Showcasing art of those now. This is photo realism.

2K captured nearly every player in the NBA. Parker looks great. Have Amare haircut with brown streak. Ray Allen looks great.

Gameplay

Mike Wang is on and speaking about elevating the game harnessing the tech. Primarily in physics and animations. Foot planting clips shown.

Wang is talking about Ecomotion. Foot planting. No sliding or phantom steps. Showed difference between cur and next gen. It looks great. Really no sliding. Now showing dribbling. Ball actually rotates while dribbling which is not in current gen.

Now speaking to ball handling. Eco Motion allows them to track true physics. Ball spinning when dribbling, ball in hands. Tangible object.

New animation system. Guys will have real life wingspans. New KD shoes look great.

Mike speaks about animation synthesis, Eco Motion - based on physics and situation, animations will change. With animation synthesis, animations will change based on circumstances. If KD takes a shot and D is guarding him tight, anim will change on the fly.

The game feels alive. For example, a shooter won't land the same way two times. Animation will adapt to the situation. Truly incredible stuff here.

AI

Coaches will adapt to what is happening in the game. So game plans will dynamically change based on what other teams are doing.

Rob talks about points of emphasis. Every coach will have its own ai and strategize based on how the game is going.

There are nine different options on offense and defense to strategize how to defend or attack your opponent.

Emotion Plus

Emotion Plus will categorize all the players personalities. For example, Kobe is an Alpha Dog. He wants the ball, he's fierce.

"Human emotions translate into performance. Every player has personality, highs are highs, lows are lows."

Emotion plus is a new feature. Each player has a personality. Personality and game events can affect how a plot performs.

MyGM

My GM is new franchise mode. Lots of RPG elements are in the next-gen game.

MyGM is a cerebral experience. Every decision changes the world around you. GM has attributes and special abilities.

MyGM includes conversations. You have to asses the emotional intelligence of the person you're talking too.

You will get fired from the owner of you don't maintain harmony in your organization, locker room and fan base. Revolutionizes what franchise mode is.

This is the complete evolution of association mode. Decisions and reactions is what this mode is all about.

"We have built a completely new experience for franchise players. All your day to day experiences have no right or wrong answers."

MyPLAYER, MyCAREER

Complete cut scenes in MyCAREER. Team captured hundreds and hundreds of scenes. A rival, agent, buddies and a compete cast of characters.

This mode "will leave you asking, "what will happen next?" Building relationships, making deals, etc..

Over 40 hours of gameplay in your first year alone.

"captured 1000s of cut scenes w actors & whole life of player. Every experience of being NBA player. All you want to see is next path"

When you're not balling in MyCAREER, you can hang out with hundreds of MyPlayers in the Park.

Open field of courts shown with hundreds of MyPlayers playing. Quite a tease.

Jeff: "When MyPlayer isn't balling, he likes to hang with 100 of his friends at The Park."

That was the conclusion of the presentation from 2K. We will have hands-on experiences from the event very soon!

NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 ruxpinke @ 10/23/13 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfer717
i hope ea is watching.
Who's EA?

10 char

# 42 Sundown @ 10/23/13 04:50 PM
Quote:
2nd look at curry. Not as bad as I thought originally.
Whew?

Quote:
The team captured and head scanned constantly working around NBA schedules to capture nearly every player in the NBA. Hundreds of players with thousands of expressions you will see in the game. Showcasing art of those now. This is photo realism.
Wow. Just. Wow. I thought it was an army of modellers working nonstop in China.

Even their actual expressions are captured. No wonder Anthony Davis looked so lifelike.

I like that Live captured 6 guys and 2K captured the whole league.

# 43 johanan anneus @ 10/23/13 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigShot1
I owe 2k a massive apology for criticizing 2k14 current-gen. The next gen version alone so far has proven to be more detailed and amazing than ANY combined next gen game. Now I understand why it was lackluster. They were working on a new engine and entirely new game.
Also I think that they've all they could with Current Gen being the young grandpa that it is.

# 44 bcruise @ 10/23/13 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime
Video Highlight from previous days??????!!!

That is what I am talking about!
Like I said in the other thread, don't shoot off too early about this. It was in reference to NBA Today, not Association, GM, or any other season mode. Which if that's the case, it probably means live clips from past games.

There's probably info on the way about GM mode, so I wouldn't rule out what you're looking for yet, though.

# 45 LingeringRegime @ 10/23/13 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfer717
i hope ea is watching.
****. I hope the NFL is watching.

# 46 King_B_Mack @ 10/23/13 04:52 PM
Uh oh, dribbling.

Quote:
Chris Manning 2K14 ‏@LD2K 49s
Now speaking to ball handling. Eco Motion allows them to track true physics. Ball spinning when dribbling, ball in hands. Tangible object.

# 47 LingeringRegime @ 10/23/13 04:52 PM
Ball will spin in the hands like it is supposed to. DOesn't happen in current gen.

They should call it "Spintek" I kid.

# 48 Sundown @ 10/23/13 04:52 PM
FOOT PLANTING! OH Fdlsfkjkfdslahsadfljk....

# 49 DirtyJerz32 @ 10/23/13 04:53 PM
Shocked no warmups for Bench players with all the other little details they have in the game. Must be a bug/glitch that happens when they tried to add it.

Oh well... EVERYTHING ELSE IS MONEY!

WING ****ING SPANS!!! WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAT

# 50 King_B_Mack @ 10/23/13 04:53 PM
Sold! Wingspans

Quote:
Chris Manning 2K14 ‏@LD2K 1m
Now speaking to the new animation system. Smooth transitional blends between moves, real life wing spans that affect gameplay.

# 51 johanan anneus @ 10/23/13 04:53 PM
2Ksports, or the NBA 2K team is by far the MOST AMBITIOUS development team ever!

# 52 cb1115 @ 10/23/13 04:53 PM
Quote:
Da_Czar@Da_Czar Wing spans are in.
/OS crashes

# 53 LiquidGotti @ 10/23/13 04:53 PM
2K F*** around and have a game of the year nominee.

# 54 infam0us @ 10/23/13 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32
Shocked no warmups for Bench players with all the other little details they have in the game. Must be a bug/glitch that happens when they tried to add it.

Oh well... EVERYTHING ELSE IS MONEY!
It happens, one step back but a whole lot of steps forward.

# 55 kolanji @ 10/23/13 04:54 PM
Looking forward to hear more about ECOMOTION

Am thinking that this is gonna be a bigger jump to next gen than 2k7......
I hope am right

# 56 ruxpinke @ 10/23/13 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
FOOT PLANTING! OH Fdlsfkjkfdslahsadfljk....

Think I can sue 2k when my wife files for divorce?

# 57 LingeringRegime @ 10/23/13 04:55 PM
Ronnie 2K 2K14 ‏@Ronnie2K 16s
Two shots are radically different for different situations in terms of landing on shots. No two shots will be same

DAYYYYYUM

# 58 MrBigShot1 @ 10/23/13 04:55 PM
This jump will probably be bigger than the jump between 2k10 to 2k14. That's how crazy this game looks/sounds.

# 59 King_B_Mack @ 10/23/13 04:56 PM
Quote:
Mike speaks about animation synthesis, Eco Motion - based on physics and situation, animations will change.
Quote:
The game feels alive. For example, a shooter won't land the same way two times. Animation will adapt to the situation. Truly incredible.
Quote:
Chris Manning 2K14 ‏@LD2K 29s
Coach will adapt to what is happening in the game. So game plans will dynamically change based on what other teams are doing.
This might be GOAT man.

# 60 LiquidGotti @ 10/23/13 04:56 PM
Quote:
The game feels alive. For example, a shooter won't land the same way two times. Animation will adapt to the situation. Truly incredible.
GEEEZUS!!!!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.