Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K14: Next-Gen Hands-On Impressions

NBA 2K14 on next-gen looks great, plays great. Features are missing though.

To port or not to port? That is the question.

In 2006, 2K took a different approach to their first game on the next gen consoles. 2K simply upgraded the graphics and ported over all of the features in the current gen version. That was the safe approach and most people were happy with it by and large.

This time around 2K wants OS'ers to know one thing: The next gen version of NBA 2K14 is not a port. But is that a good thing?

Let's start with the graphics. The game looks exactly like (if not better) than the trailer. 2K face mapped damn near every NBA player in the league. Guys like Lebron and Kobe look exactly like their real life counterparts but that's expected. What I didn't expect was that guys like Joel Anthony and Festus Ezeli would look amazing. The faces and the lighting and details of each arena jump out as the most improved aspects of the game to you.

With that said, the graphical improvements are less prominent when you are playing the game in broadcast mode. Don't get me wrong, the game still looks great, but I can see many people complaining that they don't see a huge difference from current gen when actually playing the game versus in replays.

The improved graphics also quite prominent in MyPLAYER mode. There are significantly more hairstyles and beard choices in the next gen version than current gen. There is no longer a huge difference between how a real NBA player looks and a created player/my player looks. I've played 3 next gen games at this point (NBA, FIFA and Knack) and 2k clearly has the best looking game on next gen.

The gameplay feels similar enough to current-gen, if not better.

Gameplay

2K set up a quick demo of the game featuring the Heat and the Warriors. The demo was a single three minute quarter with play calling on. I played a total of three quarters with the game. The game reminds me of the current gen version, as it should, but it's clearly feels somewhat different. The key to that is the new Ecomotion engine.

The Ecomotion engine adds foot planting and better dribbling animations to the series. Sliding has been virtually eliminated from the series and dribbling animations are tighter than they ever have been. In current gen, there are times when dribbling the ball will not touch the floor because of a bad animation. This doesn't occur in next gen. This is clearly 2K's response to Live's BounceTek feature and eliminates one of the competition's biggest selling points.

Another feature of the new system is called animation synthesis. In next gen, all animations are contextual. For example, if Durant is taking a jumper and he is wide open, he will use his typical gather, release and landing. If a defender pressures him, he will automatically adjust his release and may land differently depending on the position of the defender. These additions are very visible during gameplay and you will see a bunch of new animations.

Points of Emphasis is another gameplay related feature that is only in next-gen. As a coach you are given 9 options on offense and defense during the game that you can use to make adjustments. For example when playing the Heat, you can instruct your team to defend the perimeter as a point of emphasis.

I know what you are thinking "Can't we do that in current gen with defensive adjustments?" The difference here is your team will practically hug perimeter players. I saw one screenshot of Sefolosha body to body against Lebron when denying the ball. I'm interested in seeing how much Points of Emphasis actually affects the game and if the AI uses these also. On the surface though, this appears to be a good addition.

"What do you mean features are missing from current gen?"

Features

Lets get the bad out of the way: Association mode as we know it has been removed.

They have been replaced by a new mode called MyGM. In my opinion, it's similar to Madden's connected careers mode. The mode takes your MyPLAYER and makes him the GM of the team. As the GM, you interview and hire staff, negotiate trades with other owners and manage players. The centerpiece of this mode is the conversation system.

An example of this is you are the GM of the Kings and the team has lost 8 games in a row. Boogie Cousins comes in to your office and demands a trade. You can either attempt to convince Cousins to stay with the team, ignore his demand or shop him for a trade. The mode appears to be very immersive and perfect for people who are interested in managing one team. So what's the problem?

I'm a firm believer in one rule: YOU DONT REMOVE FEATURES! NBA 2K4 had a franchise mode with 30 team control and 2K removed in NBA 2K5 for no particular reason. It took them three years and a ton of complaints from a select few OS'ers to get them to add the feature back. Madden did the same thing last year and after some backlash added it back this year. I'm willing to acknowledge that MyGM looks intriguing and may be the future of the franchise, but it makes no sense to remove features like multi-team association and potentially alienate a very dedicated (and vocal) segment of the audience.

I'm sure these removals won't affect a good amount of people who buy this game. Many will be happy with controlling one team on MyGM or just focus on MyPLAYER. But some of us don't want to interview players or staff. Some of us just want to play or watch any game. Some of us don't trust the CPU AI when it comes to making trades and cuts and want to prevent unrealistic decisions. That's why we love multi team association.

Another feature which isn't making the jump is custom music. Also gone are practice plays. Devs confirmed but didn't specify that some other features found in current gen won't make the jump over to next gen this year. What this means is many basketball gamers will have to keep the current-gen version of the game to get a total basketball fix this year.

More info is coming on MyGM in the next week.

Onto the good though: MyPLAYER looks incredible. The structure appears to be similar to current-gen with your career starting at the Draft showcase but it's clearly different, there are bunch of new cutscenes added to the next gen version and 2K showed us three of them.

The first one is your agent informing you that you have been invited to the Draft Showcase. The second one is your rival approaches you before the DS and talks a little trash. After that conversation, you agent asks you how you felt about the trash talk and you are given the choice of getting emotional or letting it go. Finally, your DS coach approaches you in the locker room and attempts to motivate you before the game. MyPLAYER on next-gen is much more immersive and I'm excited about giving it a run.

The final feature we saw was called “The Park”. 2K wasn't saying much about it other than its a place where you and 100 of your friends can play. The visual they showed multiple basketball courts with MyPlayers on each court. This is pure speculation but this could be Crew on steroids where you can take your MyPlayer from court to court just like you could if you were at a real park with multiple courts.

From what I saw, I am definitely excited about the next gen version of the game but not as excited as I was coming into the event. The game looks and feels great but the limited feature set hampers it. Hopefully once we get more information about the features actually in the game, the pain from the features removed will dull.

NBA 2K14 releases on launch day for both PlayStation 4 (November 15) and Xbox One (November 22).

Edited to clarify: Season mode is still in the game per multiple sources/confirmations by 2K Sports.

NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 VilleCity101 @ 10/24/13 12:02 PM
Can u still create a player in my gm because I usually create a player 2 my liking.

# 42 seanbarkley @ 10/24/13 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
Yea seems that way, for guys that like to replicate their season to rotations and trades or signings they see in real life are going to be unhappy.

Im one of those guys, We have no choice now but to join 2k's "My" revoloution. lol
Man, I still can't believe they made a so huuuuuge mistake. There must be an option in myGM settings which allows us to force transactions and edit other team players even if we are controlling just one team. It makes no sense at all that if they try to replicate reality in every sense in the game, they don't allow us to replicate a real season with real transactions and rotations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe8865
Player Editing is the one thing I need to know about. If they've removed player editing, ala Madden, then 2K14 next-gen is a no-go....
I doubt they are have made the game THAT restrictive but seeing that it has become more and more restricting year after year I don't know what to think. It's definitely a no-go if they have done it.

I still hope we can edit players for the simple reason that the shoe creator is still in the game, and I doubt they add a shoe huge feature just to add them to my player.

EDIT: if a dev doesn't come around to answer these doubts I'll get really worried.

# 43 ahuffman @ 10/24/13 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I'll just say I'm glad I kept my 360. I'll be playing a 30 team association with custom music and having a blast. I'll still get the next gen version for myPlayer. Don't why any myPlayer fan would not get the next gen version with all the improvements

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah I am definitely glad I grabbed the PC version, it will work great for my association. The gameplay and graphical improvements are too much to pass up, so I will get the ps4 version for quick games and my player.

# 44 cthurt @ 10/24/13 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbarkley
Man, I still can't believe they made a so huuuuuge mistake. There must be an option in myGM settings which allow us to force transactions and edit other team players even if we are controlling just one team. It makes no sense at all that if they try to replicate reality in every sense in the game, they don't allow us to replicate a real season with real transactions and rotations.

I doubt they are have made the game THAT restrictive but seeing that the game has become more and more restricting year after year I don't what to think. It's definitely a no-go if they have done it.

I still hope we can edit players for the simple reason that the shoe creator is still in the game, and I doubt they add a shoe huge feature just to add them to my player.
Well SB you kind of took a load off my mind by letting me know that the shoe editior is in next gen, they have to still have the edit player feature if they kept the shoe maker. Right???

# 45 Money99 @ 10/24/13 12:07 PM
I have no need to upgrade to next-gen.
Almost all the games are carbon copies of current gen but with stripped down options. The graphics aren't even that big of a jump up.

For years we've been hearing developers cry how the current hardware isn't enough to match their genius.
Well if the earliest games are any indication, the developers are the ones that have kept games from reaching the next level.

# 46 eko718 @ 10/24/13 12:08 PM
Quote:
Not confirmed but I don't think that it's in based on the tone of comments I received from devs.
If I can't run a season the way I would like to, this game loses a tremendous amount of value for me. Of course I will wait for details on MyGM, but I'm getting less and less anxious to drop $500 for the upgrade.

# 47 eko718 @ 10/24/13 12:10 PM
Quote:
I'll just say I'm glad I kept my 360. I'll be playing a 30 team association with custom music and having a blast. I'll still get the next gen version for myPlayer. Don't why any myPlayer fan would not get the next gen version with all the improvements

Having played next gen, do you feel that you will still find current gen enjoyable?

# 48 seanbarkley @ 10/24/13 12:13 PM
Quote:
Well SB you kind of took a load off my mind by letting me know that the shoe editior is in next gen, they have to still have the edit player feature if they kept the shoe maker. Right???
Seeing what they did with MyGM I wouldn't put my hand in the fire, but I hope so.

This all is a shame man, because the game looks awesomely beautiful.

# 49 RocketTMac1 @ 10/24/13 12:13 PM
I still can't believe this is real. It's not game breaking nor will it stop me from getting my Basketball Jones on for this year. But it will effect my experience a great deal. I'll dread the stupid AI moves, rotations and signings.

I like to keep my Association realistic and I'm afraid this is taking that away from me. Here's hoping there is a work around and 30 team control comes back for 2K15 as a "new addition".

I'm a 2k guy but this is why we need competition. If the other guy has this and showed something great I would have no doubt in my mind that Association/GM mode would be able to have a 30 team control scheme next year.

# 50 and1product @ 10/24/13 12:15 PM
People at my job are asking why I have a long face and i'm like something bad happened. They are like OMG is everything okay? I said yeah. They are like whats wrong?

"They took the most important elemEnt out of a basketball game in nba 2k14 which is NO NBA REGULAR SEASON MODE". How am I going to replicate the nba season?

They laughed out loud telling me i'm too passionate about my sports games. They dont even know. I know for a fact im keeping my cg version. Just dont know if im going to buy ng at the moment but eventually will just to show off the prettiness to my friends. I am bummed out at work.

# 51 SkyWater1417 @ 10/24/13 12:16 PM
Just Think of It....

If NBA2k14 have all the features from the old version and add all of the features they introduce today, what features you'll expect to NBA 2K15 and so on? improved graphics and presentation? then you'll say "NOTHINGS NEW JUST IMPROVED GRAPHICS ETC"...

# 52 RocketTMac1 @ 10/24/13 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkiii
MYPLAYER is all I care about and it sounds great. Looking forward to more details on that!
And that seems to be the route this franchise is going. I hope I'm wrong. But they are shunning a part of the community by removing a very popular feature.

# 53 aholbert32 @ 10/24/13 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eko718
Having played next gen, do you feel that you will still find current gen enjoyable?
I will. The graphics are a jump but not so big that I will hate current gen. We will see when I get home tonight and play current gen but I don't think it will be an issue. Also I have no choice if I want to play association.

# 54 RocketTMac1 @ 10/24/13 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWater1417
Just Think of It....

If NBA2k14 have all the features from the old version and add all of the features they introduce today, what features you'll expect to NBA 2K15 and so on? improved graphics and presentation? then you'll say "NOTHINGS NEW JUST IMPROVED GRAPHICS ETC"...
Umm idk? An improved Next Gen gameplay system? To take away a mode or a feature just to label it new is a very bad move. Especially if you did it once and saw how upset people were. I don't care if you are the other company or 2K. You don't do things like that. You could still have Association and then have GM Mode.

# 55 cthurt @ 10/24/13 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketTMac1
And that seems to be the route this franchise is going. I hope I'm wrong. But they are shunning a part of the community by removing a very popular feature.
I was actually nervous about the whole MYplyaer craze taking over the entire game, just didnt think it would happen so soon. 2k really needs to come through with more details about this new MYGM mode quick becuase they seem to be losing customers due to lack of knowledge about what it includes, telling us whats not included but nothing else wasnt a good idea it seems.

# 56 SkyWater1417 @ 10/24/13 12:24 PM
Quote:
Association is a very popular feature but also lots of issues and complaints... the only reason (maybe) 2K take this out is to prevent further comparison of association from CG to NG and make it better for futher release of NBA2K in Next Gen... Bad Idea for someone but not at all...

ITS NOT THE END OF NEXT GEN ITS JUST A START...

# 57 RocketTMac1 @ 10/24/13 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
As a basketball casual gamer, that enjoys online leagues, I'm actually more optimistic about MyGm going forward, than something like CCM/CFM. I'm admittedly bias of 2k due to my impressions of their products but I'm fine with the solo MyGM INITIALLY and then expanding it to multi player next year.

While I generally agree that I never want to see features removed IF it's possible to avoid, I think the ideal time to do so is with the release of a newly built game, on new consoles. Most people have NBA2k14 current gen to get their multi team Association fix and the biggest crossover for most basketball gamers to next gen consoles and games will be next year.

I'm really interested to see just how fleshed out this MyGM mode is, with video highlights from other games in your league and I'm salivating at the thought of something like that being expanded out to multi player with online capability next year or the year after.
I am honestly confused. What is the difference between Madden taking out the same feature last year and everyone getting upset? And when NBA 2K does it people are interested in the mode.

I'm not trying to cause a disruption or anything but a wrong is a wrong. Why didn't they learn from NBA 2K5 or Madden 13? Isn't this the same arrogance the other company shows?

# 58 RocketTMac1 @ 10/24/13 12:30 PM
Quote:
I was actually nervous about the whole MYplyaer craze taking over the entire game, just didnt think it would happen so soon. 2k really needs to come through with more details about this new MYGM mode quick becuase they seem to be losing customers due to lack of knowledge about what it includes, telling us whats not included but nothing else wasnt a good idea it seems.
It's really a double edged sword. They aren't losing customers because people wanting a basketball game will just get the CG version. And the people interested or who have already gotten a NG system have invested into NBA 2K14 (I fall into that category).

It's not a game breaking thing but it is a concern I have that this will just be a one team thing. And with me and others getting the game it shows we are ok with it. I'm not ok with this change. But I want to experience this game on NG.

I feel so conflicted.

# 59 aholbert32 @ 10/24/13 12:30 PM
Quote:
I am honestly confused. What is the difference between Madden taking out the same feature last year and everyone getting upset? And when NBA 2K does it people are interested in the mode.

I'm not trying to cause a disruption or anything but a wrong is a wrong. Why didn't they learn from NBA 2K5 or Madden 13? Isn't this the same arrogance the other company shows?
I'm plenty upset. Did u read my article?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

# 60 sniapeko @ 10/24/13 12:30 PM
Thank you Aaron for your live-tweeting yesterday and for this write-up.
I totally agree with you except for the fact that I won't get next-gen. I don't care about MyPlayer, and I'll wait to see if next year's game brings back some features.
I now have a whole year to exhaust my CG 2K14 with seasons and seasons of Association play.. Doesn't sound bad after all.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.