Home
Feature Article
Five Tips to Improve Your Hitting in MLB The Show 17

There comes a point in every MLB The Show player's life where hitting just clicks. Unfortunately, that time usually comes a couple of months after you've already owned the game. To help expedite that process, here are five tips to help you become a better hitter in MLB The Show 17.

1. Find Your Interface

I've always been more of a "Timing" or "Directional" guy, but if I'm really feeling it, I'll give "Pure Analog" a whack. It's really important to find a style your comfortable with, and even though "Directional" is definitely less complex, there's more of a rhythm to "Pure Analog" that might help you out. "Zone" is the more complicated combination of the two styles, but if you can master it, zone-style hitting can lead to some really professional hitting.

2. Find Your Difficulty

MLB The Show 17 is really unique in that its difficulty isn't artificial. Instead, the pitching can get brutally smart, placing the ball in some of the worst locations to hit it. They'll mix off-speed pitches with fastballs just as well as some of the better managed teams in baseball do.

Going from easy to difficult is going to save you a lot of frustration. The "Dynamic" difficulty option can save you a lot of stress, but I prefer to work my way up to the hardest difficulty on my own. Getting used to the hitting on easier difficulties is going to leave you with better habits than if you start from the top down.

3. Work The Count

This is going to be the biggest mountain you'll ever have to climb in MLB The Show 17. Why? Because the AI and online opponents aren't going to be doing you any extra favors on the mound. All the same, it's important that you work pitch counts. If you allow low pitch counts deep into the game, prepare to deal with a pitcher who has full confidence and lots of stamina left.

Working deep counts can also lead to some advantageous situations for a hitter. That's not to say that you let every first pitch go by, but it's important that you don't swing at anything that could be considered a "pitcher's pitch." An 0-1 count is better than a weakly grounded ball to the infield. Furthermore, working a 3-0 or even a 3-1 count gives you the opportunity to swing for the fences without worrying about a strikeout.

4. Wait For Your Pitch

This goes with the above tip, but every player has a certain pitch that he or she clobbers. One of the best things you can do in MLB The Show is keep your eyes on one part of the zone. If you don't get your pitch, leave it and wait for the next one. Even if you don't have the "Guess Pitch" option on, feel free to wait on a fastball or something off speed, whichever you tend to hit better.

Another thing you can do is take a walk. Even if you're up in the count, sometimes it's a good idea to wait. A ball in play is still unlikely to get you on base, but a walk is a surefire way to keep an inning going. Sometimes the best thing to wait on is a strike or two.

5. Don't Abuse The Power Swing

This is the easiest trap to fall into if you're a new MLB The Show player. Power swings, even when they connect, don't end up with home runs too often. Plenty of downsides come with the power swing, but the biggest is that it shrinks your contact window. In other words, those power swings often result in whiffs, so you need to be very careful using it any time you're down in the count.

Likewise, save the contact swings for when you're behind in the count. This is especially true if you have a player on first with some outs to give because the contact swing can lead to some tailor-made double plays. If you like using the contact swings or power swings, save them for special occasions. It's nice when they work out in your favor, but they very much are double-edged swords.

Member Comments
# 1 bcruise @ 04/11/17 04:59 PM
Nice advice here. Would like to add one thing to working counts. I find that playing the "Discipline" batting practice mode really helps train my batter's eye. The way it works is that a pitcher will throw his entire repertoire inside and outside of the strike zone, and your goal is to put strikes in play. This can train you to do two things.

1)You'll see a wide variety of pitches, so you can focus on identifying how a corner strike differs coming out of the pitcher's hand than a deep strike - and in the beginning at least, you'll want to lay off the corner ones. Don't worry about your score while you're doing this.

2) The point of the mode itself is essentially to train the two-strike approach to hitting - you must cover the plate or you'll "strike out" looking, but at the same time, you don't want to be chasing balls. You'll need to be able to do this to score well in the mode. Swinging at balls penalizes your score no matter what, while fouling off strikes with solid contact will result in a retry.

# 2 jeffy777 @ 04/11/17 05:10 PM
Good stuff. Additionally, I think finding the hitting cam that works best for you is one of the most important keys to improving your hitting.

# 3 Datninja619 @ 04/11/17 05:10 PM
All great tips from me! Especially working the count.

Coming from someone that has never played a baseball game on current gen or last gen consoles, using the dynamic difficulty was a HUGE help. I like a challenge, but I didn't know how drastic the difference is. For example, in Madden the hardest difficulty and second hardest are night an day. CPU "cheats" on the hardest.

I found my comfort difficulty is either rookie or veteran, depending on my hot streak.

Also, I didn't know Zone was the harder of the batting types. I do like the satisfaction of feeling like I placed the bat perfectly on the ball to get a homer.

# 4 Datninja619 @ 04/11/17 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
Good stuff. Additionally, I think finding the hitting cam that works best for you is one of the most important keys to improving your hitting.
What's another good cam? I quickly cycled through and I just like the way the stadium looks in fish eye

# 5 bcruise @ 04/11/17 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datninja619
What's another good cam? I quickly cycled through and I just like the way the stadium looks in fish eye
Fisheye is my personal favorite. Great aesthetics, plus I still get a good view of the strikezone and can judge high/low pitches a little better.

A lot of people use strikezone because of how large the ball appears, but personally I can't because I can't judge low pitches without being able to see home plate.

# 6 jeffy777 @ 04/11/17 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datninja619
I really like the way Fish Eye looks, but I find I hit much better using The Show 16 cam.

# 7 Battman @ 04/11/17 05:52 PM
Big Fan of the Strike Zone cam here. I only tend to zoom it out a little to be able to judge especially the low balls better. I need the close can to be able to judge the slow balls better. Otherwise I am always early on those curveballs and changeups.

# 8 johnnyg83 @ 04/11/17 06:03 PM
I use Show 16 too.

One further thing with guess pitch and looking for a pitch to the zone.

If I "guess pitch" to a zone (say straight down) ... I'll then look for the pitch in another part of the strike zone (say up) so that I'm imporving my odds of getting the pitch either where Im looking or where I've selected "guess pitch." Especially effective way to cover the plate with two strikes.

# 9 Murphy7376 @ 04/11/17 06:26 PM
Hitting is always harder in The Show than it used to be on old baseball titles and I honestly love it. I play with Armor and Swords sliders and when I get a bit hit/HR I feel like I really did something. I strongly recommend them and the Zoom camera. If an old fart like me can do it I'm sure you younger guys with better reflexes can too : )

# 10 Caulfield @ 04/11/17 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

There comes a point in every MLB The Show player's life where hitting just clicks. Unfortunately, that time usually comes a couple of months after you've already owned the game. To help expedite that process, here are five tips to help you become a better hitter in MLB The Show
alls good here though I kinda enjoy the struggle over those first 2 months rather than coming on like gangbusters out the gate.

# 11 BaylorBearBryant @ 04/11/17 07:58 PM
Using strike zone is a game changer for me. Went from Vet/All-Star difficulty to
Hall of Fame+ by switching cameras.

# 12 TGov @ 04/11/17 09:59 PM
Something I've noticed over the years with The Show is... you're really only battling yourself, especially with the difficulty.
If the pitcher gives you something to hit, hit it, if not, take it but it's all better said than done.

The hitting is entirely about patience, pitch recognition and timing.(and a little bit of luck).

# 13 NYJin2011tm @ 04/11/17 11:55 PM
The two most things that improved my hitting was getting a gaming monitor and turning guess pitch off. I went from Rookie/Pro hitter to Allstar/Allstar+ hitter using dynamic.

# 14 SportsGameGod @ 04/12/17 05:03 AM
All of this was common sense but i still enjoyed hearing it from Ned Flanders.

# 15 Retropyro @ 04/12/17 02:36 PM
With difficulty, I wish you could select the whole "Veteran Plus" from the difficulty selection. I like in-between levels, don't know why they don't allow it.

# 16 Speedy @ 04/12/17 05:35 PM
Two of your points are the biggest to me:

1) Don't swing at every strike
2) Whether you use guess pitch or not, pinpoint a pitch and location and sit on it < 2 strikes - if it comes, boom it away...if not, revert to point #1

# 17 NYJin2011tm @ 04/12/17 07:42 PM
Speaking of hitting, I have just reached the promised land in my Show career...Hall of Fame hitting level using dynamic.

# 18 bukktown @ 04/12/17 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
Agreed!

Next to Interface, I think the camera is most important.

# 19 bukktown @ 04/12/17 07:59 PM
Here is a funny Reddit thread about being a bad hitter....

I think we can all relate. At least once we have tried to swing at a pitch that ended up hitting the batter haha!

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLBTheShow/...ing_me_nooooo/

# 20 Trackball @ 04/12/17 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
Here is a funny Reddit thread about being a bad hitter....

I think we can all relate. At least once we have tried to swing at a pitch that ended up hitting the batter haha!

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLBTheShow/...ing_me_nooooo/
This actually happened to me--twice. In THIS YEAR'S game, which just came out!

It's just plain embarrassing to be fooled that badly by a pitch.
You baseball fans were right--solidly hitting a baseball is THE hardest thing to do consistently in sports.
No wonder even Hall-of-Famers fail at doing this 70% of the time.
How the hell did Tony Gwynn (God rest his soul) do this so well? In such a pitcher's park, no less?

At least I learned a new baseball rule--if a HBP is swung at, it's treated as a strike, not a walk.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.