Home
Feature Article
Major League Baseball 2K9 Developer Diary: Gameplay

Hi everyone, my name is Jonathan Rivera and I am the Gameplay Producer on MLB 2K9. As an avid gamer and baseball fan, it was a dream opportunity for me to work on a baseball title. I look forward to building on what we’ve been able to do this year and continue to improve on this franchise.   As some of you already know, this year was challenging as we were switching development studios, as the game is now developed internally at Visual Concepts. 

With a new team, came a lot of opportunity to evaluate areas of the game that worked and didn’t work. This was a very important part of the process because most of us internally felt like there were many items in MLB 2K8 that separated us from our competitors.

Signature Style

Here at 2K, we are always striving to deliver the most authentic experience to our users. We want the users to look at our game and notice small details like how Kevin Youkilis holds his bat before each pitch and how he transitions his hands from higher on the bat down to a normal grip.

Signature style is something that we’ve been doing quite a while now across our sports titles, and we expanded on that this year even more for MLB 2K9 with over 300 new signature animations. When we announced that Tim Lincecum was going to be our cover athlete, we were all pretty excited to have a Cy Young winner represent our game, but even more than that it was going to be a great opportunity to really nail his signature delivery.

Soon after the announcement was made about him being our cover athlete, he came into our motion capture studio and we were able to capture a lot of animations unique to Tim including pitching from the windup, the stretch, strikeout reactions, homerun reactions, stepping in and out of the batter’s box, and many others. We spend a lot of time researching and perfecting each player’s signature style that it was a relief having the athlete come into our studio and all we had to say was “Do what you do!” The shoot was an amazing experience, and our game will be better for it. 

The goal this year was to make the game more accessible while maintaining the challenge our dedicated fans have come to expect, and we did this in five key areas.

Pitching   

One of the things that we all really enjoyed was the control for pitching. We felt like pitching with the Right Analog Stick was natural and it really added a lot of depth to gameplay. The thing that I liked the most about performing gestures was that it forced the user to really think about what pitch they want to throw in each situation. With traditional controls, once you perfected the timing of the meter or button presses, it was easy to get the perfect pitch every time. Because “the perfect pitch” in our game is defined in many different ways including having the “perfect gesture”, it’s not as big of an issue and adds a lot of variety to gameplay. With that said, we felt like the meatball was too much punishment for making even the slightest error last year in MLB 2K8. 

Changes to pitching:

Ø No more meatball – The idea of throwing a bad pitch when you made a poor gesture was good but the way we designated a meatball was definitely too harsh. What we did instead was to identify earlier on in the gesture process the pitch the user is attempting to throw, if they don’t finish the gesture or make a poor gesture we simply affect the way that pitch is thrown. For example, Fastballs will be straighter and slower while Curveballs will have less break on the ball. Naturally, this will make those pitches more hittable without making them “meatballs”. 

Ø Removed the “Release Timing” - We felt that the “Release Timing” aspect of throwing a pitch made the game less accessible. After thorough focus testing, we discovered that the aspect of pitching that attributed to the most “meatballs” was the release timing. As a result, we kept “Release timing” as an option to the user but not on the default controls. If a user loved the way it worked last year, they can turn it on from the pause menu.

Ø Inside Edge Data driving the AI – Inside Edge is our exclusive scouting service which is also used by some MLB teams to get reports on players. As in previous years, you can purchase these reports during your franchise to earn an extra advantage when facing the AI opponents. Our pitcher’s decision making is primarily based off Inside Edge data for pitchers and weaknesses. When deciding what pitch to throw where, our pitchers have to take into consideration many different variables most simply broken down into two aspects:

o   What does the pitcher want to throw and where?

o   What are the hitter’s weaknesses?

We spent a lot of time tuning this aspect as it is crucial to the final experience a user has while playing the game. For example, one of our early iterations of this feature resulted in the pitcher’s rarely throwing fastballs because the data indicated that Fastballs are the pitch that hitter’s are most successful against. The problem was that our AI wasn’t taking into consideration enough of “Pitcher’s strengths” rather mostly the hitter’s weaknesses. After much tuning and testing, we ended up with a system that takes all of those variables into consideration and then decides what pitch would be ideal in that specific situation and count.

The same pitch selection logic is used for the user by our catcher. In our game, our catcher suggests what pitch to throw and the location. The decision making of the catcher’s suggestion is the same used by the AI when pitching. 

Hitting

When evaluating the hitting system we knew that we really liked swinging with the right stick. We wanted to keep the same basic swing of pressing DOWN and then UP to time the actual swing. In MLB 2K8, we felt that most pickup and play users struggled with figuring out when to press down thus resulting in many poor hits. In order to fit our overall goal of making the game more accessible, we allowed the user to press down to “set” at any point during the at bat. We found that this not only made the game more accessible, it also made the game significantly more fun and allowed us to implement other aspects of hitting so that the user can focus more on pitch, and location of the pitch.

One of the high level goals that we had going into designing hitting for MLB 2K9 was to give the user the opportunity to read pitches and decide when to swing. In last year’s game, most users would swing at every pitch and be pretty successful. This year, our AI pitches more to the edges and out of the strike zone so it really helps if you can take a pitch and wait for your pitch as MLB players do in real life all the time. To help achieve this goal, we moved the hitting camera a little bit lower than it was in MLB 2K8 which allows the user to get a better read on the pitches low in the strike zone.

One of my favorite new features that we implemented is the ability to influence hit direction. Hit influence is controlled by the Left Stick:

Ø Up for a Flyball

Ø Down for a Groundball

Ø Left to Influence the hit Left

Ø Right to Influence the hit Right

That means if you want to attempt to hit the ball in the air to left field you just hold the Left Stick up and left. 

Additionally, this feature really works because it allows a more realistic way of hitting where if you attempt to pull an outside pitch, you are most likely going to get a poor hit. As a hitter you are better off going with the pitch and swinging in the direction of where the pitch was thrown. 

Lastly, we implemented zone hitting as an alternate control scheme. Zone hitting is where you have a cursor and you have to put the cursor in the same zone that the ball crosses the plate in addition to your regular swing. Zone hitting works with either the Classic swing (press A button) or Total Control (RStick). We also added a “sweet spot” to the cursor, if you lineup the “sweet spot” of the cursor where the ball crosses the plate, the hitter will get an additional boost to your hit.

Fielding

For fielding, we really liked the controls of last year’s game but we thought we could expand on the current system and streamline the throw system a little bit more. Our main goal was to fix a lot of the fielding bugs that were in last year’s game in addition to adding a couple of new features to add a level of depth to the overall experience. 

We received a lot of feedback in last year’s game about certain animations taking too long to play and feeling like there was nothing you can do to put a sense of urgency to your fielder. Also, once you started to throw in a certain direction, you weren’t able to change your mind so as soon as you start the throw meter you are committed to that throw.  As a result, we added two new features:

Ø Quick Throw Modifier – The throws will be quicker but there is a risk/reward to this feature, because you are essentially rushing your throw, there will be more room for error on the throw meter. 

Ø Hold Ball – As long as you have the button held down, the player will not throw to any base. This can also be used to pump fake during a pickle. 

Baserunning

For baserunning we thought, well we hit, pitch and throw with the right stick, why shouldn’t we run the bases with it too? So, the simple baserunning controls are:

Ø Press A button to select base runner

Ø Using the Right Stick press in the direction that you want the base runner to run to. So if you hit a ball into the gap, just move the Right Stick to the left to indicate that you want to try to stretch a triple. If you want him to stop at 2B, just press UP on the right stick. 

We also drastically changed the way you steal bases in our game for MLB 2K9. This is one of my personal favorite features because I think it adds a lot more risk to stealing and gives the user full control over their base runner. 

Basically, when you have a runner on first base you press LT (L2 on PS3) to take a lead. To steal, hold LT until it vibrates which will indicate that your runner is ready to take off. The runner will now take off when you release the button. Stealing “on the fly” certainly adds a lot of fun to base stealing because now the user is forced to try to get a good jump on the pitcher. If you get a good jump, you will actually take off right before the pitcher starts his delivery and get a perfect steal. 

We also added a little more information for pitchers, if you look over at the runner that’s on base, we give you his “steal rating” which indicates how much of a threat he is, so if you have Benji Molina standing at 1st, his steal rating will be pretty low and you can focus on the hitter.

Atmosphere

As always, we spend a lot of focus and attention on getting the right atmosphere for a baseball game. We want our users to feel like they are getting the same experience in playing our game as if they were watching a baseball game on TV. There are many different aspects of presentation that help the overall goal to improve the atmosphere in our game.

First, we wanted to get rid of cut scenes and have everything happen real-time. When replacing cut scenes with real-time events, we not only focused on big events like home runs and world series celebrations but smaller details like, “What happens to the bat after a player gets a hit?”, the answer is the ball boy runs to the bat, picks it up and takes it back to the dugout. Our dugouts now react to the events on the field; if a pitcher is subbed out the manager walks out to the mound, takes the ball from the pitcher on the mound and gives it to the reliever coming in from the bullpen. We felt like that kind of real-time detail would add a lot to the overall experience. 

Next, we established players moving around in real time. It gave us an opportunity to create a lot of the same camera shots that are used during a live telecast. We have many shots of the players walking back to the dugout, players running out of the dugout and to their positions in-between innings, the players warming up in the bullpen, etc. When playing our game, I always feel like the presentation adds a level of authenticity to our “broadcast” that enhances the baseball experience for me.

Finally, we focused on improving the crowd in our game. MLB 2K9 has the best and most lively crowd that we’ve ever had. Our crowd now reacts to our game not only over audio but you can see them individually get up after pitches or when a big pitch is coming, they’ll all get up in anticipation of a big hit or strikeout. If a home run is hit, you can see the crowd get up and watch the ball fly out as they would in real life and when the ball lands, our fans will try to catch it. 

Well, I think that’s about it for gameplay in MLB 2K9. We are all extremely proud of this game and hope you guys will enjoy. Keep sending your feedback because we do read all of your comments and criticisms. Thanks everyone for reading!

Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ohyeahbaby123 @ 02/10/09 06:55 AM
Nice!

# 2 The Bimmer @ 02/10/09 06:59 AM
Sounds good to me. If it moves as good as it sounds i will have 2 games to play this year!

# 3 ExtremeGamer @ 02/10/09 07:50 AM
Sounds good. Looking forward to playing it and seeing videos of in game footage.

# 4 DaveDQ @ 02/10/09 07:54 AM
That was a great read. I'm excited about the stealing, pitching and hitting. Alos, the ideas about atmosphere are great. Can't wait to see it in action.

# 5 stlstudios189 @ 02/10/09 08:03 AM
I will wait and see before I buy but, this is looking great

# 6 boomhauertjs @ 02/10/09 08:31 AM
Sounds good so far.

# 7 Checmate101 @ 02/10/09 08:36 AM
Sounds good..Like what I read.

Still haven't read anything about after the game the players line up and give each other high fives.

# 8 DocHolliday @ 02/10/09 08:44 AM
That sounded pretty promising. Ill wait and see though...

# 9 HealyMonster @ 02/10/09 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu_gb23
It sounds as though 2K is a little more encouraged by their mlb product this year....everything in that diary seemed legit..doesn't sound like they are making false claims this year about their game...I actually think 2K baseball is back.

well, no, you see after you release crap year after year, your not "back" after 2 teasers, a few pics, and a dev diary, thats stupid and not how it works.

anyway, im looking forward to gameplay vids or some ingame pics of the new presentation.

# 10 DaveDQ @ 02/10/09 09:11 AM
What I've seen from 2K this year is an admission that last year's game was not something that worked. They aren't going around touting extra features and gimmicks, but rather, they are talking about where things didn't work, pitching, batting and atmosphere, and they are explaining how they have polished it.

Sounds good to me.

# 11 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/10/09 09:12 AM
Man I can't wait to experience that Real-Time Atmosphere. As for hitting Baa, I guess we'll have to wait til OS get their BETA to find-out if the Step Influence Slider has been removed.When I asked the dude @ gamespot about it he had no clue & actually said he couldn't find said slider.

As for trying to make the game more accessible, I can't blame 2k for trying to simplify the game. @ least he said for us vets, the game can still be challenging.

Hopefully we can get a Franchise Diary Next..

# 12 DiddyGotGrillz @ 02/10/09 09:19 AM
Please, Please, Please make this game so that it works OUT OF THE BOX!!! 2K Baseball Games have been pathetic for Next Gen systems and it is ridiculous!

I admit, I have never been a 2K sports fan. I feel like the controls are loose and sloppy. I never feel like I have control over my guy. I just don't see what you spend your time on during the offseason? Your player models are horrific and the gameplay isn't great.

STEP IT UP 2K....this is your last chance for me.

# 13 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/10/09 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
You completely lost me there. What are you talking about??
He has no idea what he's saying. He just needed spew his anger towards the 2k for putting out bad games the last 3 years.

# 14 Trevytrev11 @ 02/10/09 09:28 AM
Quote:
Ø No more meatball – The idea of throwing a bad pitch when you made a poor gesture was good but the way we designated a meatball was definitely too harsh. What we did instead was to identify earlier on in the gesture process the pitch the user is attempting to throw, if they don’t finish the gesture or make a poor gesture we simply affect the way that pitch is thrown. For example, Fastballs will be straighter and slower while Curveballs will have less break on the ball. Naturally, this will make those pitches more hittable without making them “meatballs”.
Great news there. Finally there was is some confirmation on this (unless I missed it before).

Quote:
Ø Removed the “Release Timing” - We felt that the “Release Timing” aspect of throwing a pitch made the game less accessible. After thorough focus testing, we discovered that the aspect of pitching that attributed to the most “meatballs” was the release timing. As a result, we kept “Release timing” as an option to the user but not on the default controls. If a user loved the way it worked last year, they can turn it on from the pause menu.
Not sure about this. How does an analog pitching system work without release timing? Instead of release timing, is it push timing? If so it's the same concept, isn't it? Instead of back-hold-forward-hold-time your release for a fastball is it just back-hold-time your forward to throw the pitch? If so, It's basically the same thing, just a little simpler, I guess.

Quote:
Ø Inside Edge Data driving the AI – Inside Edge is our exclusive scouting service which is also used by some MLB teams to get reports on players. As in previous years, you can purchase these reports during your franchise to earn an extra advantage when facing the AI opponents. Our pitcher’s decision making is primarily based off Inside Edge data for pitchers and weaknesses. When deciding what pitch to throw where, our pitchers have to take into consideration many different variables most simply broken down into two aspects:
o What does the pitcher want to throw and where?
o What are the hitter’s weaknesses?
I really wish that there was an adapatable AI here. Scouting reports are nice, but you learn a lot more from the last swing of a hitter. If my hitter kills fastballs, but me as a user am a crappy fastball hitter, the game should adapt, recognize this and throw more fastballs. If a guy waits on a curve and crushes it foul by a few feet, you probably don't want to throw that pitch again just because IE says he's a crappy curveball hitter...Basically, Inside Edge goes out the door when a user is at the controls.

Quote:
Lastly, we implemented zone hitting as an alternate control scheme. Zone hitting is where you have a cursor and you have to put the cursor in the same zone that the ball crosses the plate in addition to your regular swing. Zone hitting works with either the Classic swing (press A button) or Total Control (RStick). We also added a “sweet spot” to the cursor, if you lineup the “sweet spot” of the cursor where the ball crosses the plate, the hitter will get an additional boost to your hit.
Digging this, though it would be nice to have a hidden cursor once you grow familar with the sensitivity of the controls.

Quote:
Basically, when you have a runner on first base you press LT (L2 on PS3) to take a lead. To steal, hold LT until it vibrates which will indicate that your runner is ready to take off. The runner will now take off when you release the button. Stealing “on the fly” certainly adds a lot of fun to base stealing because now the user is forced to try to get a good jump on the pitcher. If you get a good jump, you will actually take off right before the pitcher starts his delivery and get a perfect steal.
We also added a little more information for pitchers, if you look over at the runner that’s on base, we give you his “steal rating” which indicates how much of a threat he is, so if you have Benji Molina standing at 1st, his steal rating will be pretty low and you can focus on the hitter.
Intriguing. I like the idea of loading the steal and releasing the trigger to go. I wonder how you would go back on a pick off. Maybe just continue to hold the trigger? Also, I hope their term of "perfect steal" isn't some sort of boost that guarantee's your runner is safe.

-Hopefully next year they add a few things to the pitchers arsenal to combat this...a variety of picks as well as incorporating the slide step for pitchers that use it (some don't ever use it).

The chioce to simplify the game out of the box don't bother since they are offering options. It's a little concerning only in the fact that because it's the out of the box way, I think that maybe things like zone hitting and the three step pitching method maybe didn't get full attention, but only time will tell.

# 15 jaebonez34 @ 02/10/09 09:39 AM
Was a good read but I have one question about the baserunning. In the article they say they have changed it so now you control what base the runner goes to with the right stick but my question is what does that do to the directional sliding? It's prob. something simple but it must have changed because of the new baserunning controls.

# 16 Trevytrev11 @ 02/10/09 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaebonez34
Was a good read but I have one question about the baserunning. In the article they say they have changed it so now you control what base the runner goes to with the right stick but my question is what does that do to the directional sliding? It's prob. something simple but it must have changed because of the new baserunning controls.
Good question...maybe they just moved it to the L-Stick since I don't believe it serves a purpose when running in 2K8.

# 17 Trevytrev11 @ 02/10/09 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
"When evaluating the hitting system we knew that we really liked swinging with the right stick. We wanted to keep the same basic swing of pressing DOWN and then UP to time the actual swing. In MLB 2K8, we felt that most pickup and play users struggled with figuring out when to press down thus resulting in many poor hits. In order to fit our overall goal of making the game more accessible, we allowed the user to press down to “set” at any point during the at bat. We found that this not only made the game more accessible, it also made the game significantly more fun and allowed us to implement other aspects of hitting so that the user can focus more on pitch, and location of the pitch.

So let me get this straight. They removed the step influence feature, to make the game more "assessible" to "pick up and play" gamers. FAN-tastic...
I know this is a big game killer for you and others that appreciated the sytem.

My one saving grace is that hopefully the incorporation of zone hitting will add back most or all of the level of difficulty that is lost with the step influence. I imagine with pitch speed way up, it will be one helluva challenge just to locate the ball and time the swing to make solid contact.

And who knows, without giving it a try, an analog hitting system with pure step influence and a zone hitting system may have just been too much to handle, but who knows without trying.

# 18 Blzer @ 02/10/09 09:54 AM
Well in the end, at least real time is finally explained to those who didn't get it. I hope they stop saying "living world" and all of that jazz, thinking that like grass is supposed to grow and birds are supposed to ****.

So far, it seems that my only issue with the game is the lighting in general. It doesn't seem to be progressive, and there's just something about the day games where the sun's position in the sky doesn't feel right. I know, nitpicking at its finest, right? Well anyone that watches their favorite team on TV might feel like they aren't at their stadium with the way that it's presented, as it's somewhat right overhead yet a bit behind the batter, but at the same time it still feels earlier than later (most stadiums are positioned for the sun to fall behind the third base line, meaning even if the sun ever hit this position it at least wouldn't be so "early" out).

But if that's the only issue, then I have high hopes for this game returning back to basic form, which is great! Now the only concern is if the PS3 version will hold up at all.

# 19 The Living Legend @ 02/10/09 10:12 AM
Hmm that article defintly has peaked my interest. The only thing i worry about its Animation, animation is sooooo key in Baseball and pretty much every sporting game, and it was a huge factor in 2k8 for me. I was hoping to see something about that but didnt i mean there was so many hiccups in the transitions and slowdown for no reason, i hope they ironed all that out.

# 20 brendanrfoley @ 02/10/09 10:14 AM
I think there is a lot to like here. I'm not surprised, it means Visual Concepts is doing its job and hyping the title.

I won't worry about the removal of the step timing for hitting just yet. If tweaks to the hitting engine allow improved hit variety and place a bigger emphasis on where a ball is pitched too, I'll be okay. I personally like step-timing, but I can't deny there is a big-time learning curve.

Pitching is hold back to fill the meter to preferred effectiveness, gesture and release (not timed release). I like the explanation for what happens with an imperfect gesture... pitches have less movement.

I love the changes to the base running controls. But, the question about directional sliding is a great one. How do we influence our slide?

I'm excited to see the RTA in action. Bat boys? You've got to be kidding me!

I can't wait until gameplay videos hit at the end of the week.

« Previous123456Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.