Home
Feature Article
MLB 2K9: What's Hot and What's Not

Spring Training has begun, and with it comes the release of the newest versions of the baseball video games. The two major games releasing in early March are Sony’s MLB 09: The Show and Visual Concepts’ Major League Baseball 2K9. This past weekend, 2K Sports lifted the media restriction on gameplay videos for its newest baseball game, and various sites have since released a number of gameplay videos for people to view.

After watching all of the videos that have been released, it is apparent that Visual Concepts has improved the game drastically this year. But, while there are many positives to be derived from the gameplay videos, the game is not yet perfect. With that being said, here are a few positives and negatives I have noticed in the beta videos of MLB 2K9.

Major League Baseball 2K9 is set for release in a mere two weeks.

What Is Hot?

From the real-world presentation and graphics, to the refreshing new commentary team, to the new practice mode, there appears to be a lot to like in this version of 2K Sports’ annual baseball title.

Real-World Presentation

The real-world presentation that Visual Concepts first mentioned in the initial feature list is what I was most interested in this year. After seeing the feature in the gameplay videos, it appears that Visual Concepts has an amazing feature in its game. It adds much more than I would have imagined to the presentation of the game, especially when the camera pans out to show the entire field and the players running towards the dugout. With all of the cuts between the dugout and players on the field, I really get the feeling that I am watching a televised broadcast of a live game, which immerses me in the game more than ever before.

Interesting Commentary

After experiencing last year’s mostly reused dialogue from MLB 2K7, the new commentators, Steve Phillips and Gary Thorne, are a welcome and refreshing change for the series. Thorne does an excellent job with play-by-play in the game, and Phillips chips in at just the right time with interesting tidbits about certain specific aspects of the game, such as a lefty pitcher on the mound facing an offense with lots of left-handed hitters. While the commentary may become repetitive partway through the season, it sounds much more fluid than in previous years, and gives the user the feeling that Thorne and Phillips are actually discussing the game with each other, instead of simply repeating lines of dialogue.

Practice Modes

The practice mode looks like it will be an invaluable asset to players. Last year, it was relatively difficult to pitch successfully right away. While there was an included pitch tutorial accessible at any point in the game, this practice mode looks to be even more refined -- the added option of easier pitching controls also helps. Including batting, fielding and running practice modes also ensures that consumers will be able to refine any aspect of the game that is difficult for them.

While there is a lot to be excited about, there are some causes for concern for MLB 2K9.

What Is Not?

For all of the positives listed about MLB 2K9, there are still some rough spots in the title. The good news, though, is that compared to previous years, many of the potential negatives about the game -- at least from watching the videos -- seem to be fairly minor; and in some cases, they may be nonexistent by the time the game is in stores.

Questionable Animations and Frame Rate

There is no question that Visual Concepts has been busy trying to clean up a lot of the issues that plagued the game a year ago. However, some animations still seem to be lacking, which hurts the game’s fluidity and overall appearance. Obviously, the signature animations are rendered beautifully; however, one of the most noticeable animation glitches occurs between the batter’s pre-pitch routine and when he is waiting for the pitch. In between these two animations, there seems to be a transition missing. Because of this missing transition, the batter appears to snap into a hitting position, briefly interrupting the seamless presentation the game offers.

There also seems to be a slight frame rate drop after the ball has been hit and the camera is focusing on the fielder making the play. If Visual Concepts can make the batter transition and fielding a bit smoother before the game is in consumers' hands, it will make the gameplay much more enjoyable.

The Same Unrealistic Bat-on-Ball Contact Sounds

For the past few iterations of the MLB 2K series, the sound of the ball hitting the bat has been jarring. The current sound does not sound accurate when compared to real-world bat-on-ball contact. It instead sounds too loud and somewhat hollow. It is surprising that this has not already been worked on considering that many fans have complained about this sound for a few years now.

A Pitching Visual Aid That Detracts From the Presentation

This is a cosmetic annoyance rather than an actual problem with the gameplay. It is unfortunate that MLB 2K9 looks so good in so many ways, and yet the developers cannot make the pitch graphic smaller when the user is pitching. Maybe in a future version of the game there will not be a visual indicator when the user is pitching? Instead, the game could still incorporate the right-stick pitching controls, but after the pitch has been thrown, there could be an indicator that shows how accurate the motion was. In theory, this could work something like the batter’s-eye information available in MLB 09: The Show, where the user can check information about how accurate a swing was after each pitch. Either that, or simply making the on-screen visual aid smaller would likely enhance the realistic presentation of the game.

Will MLB 2K9 be able to stand alone and be a very quality title this year? We will find out soon!

A Bright Outlook

Unfortunately, I have not been able to sit down and play MLB 2K9. However, for all intents and purposes, the gameplay videos that many media sites have been releasing for a few days now should give some hope to baseball fans. MLB 2K9 looks to be much improved over last year’s version, and kudos is in order if Visual Concepts can resurrect the flailing baseball series this year. If VC can fix a few of the issues apparent in the beta version of the game before the game is released in March, MLB 2K9 could return to its former glory.

Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 dave_sz @ 02/20/09 09:23 AM
so the pros don't really have anything to do with gameplay, just presentation. Just great...

# 2 The Living Legend @ 02/20/09 09:48 AM
Interesting article, i don't know that Con list doesn't seem to bad, although their are other concerns that i worry about it.

Supposedly the animations he was talking about were batters lock in was smoothed out in the final version as well as some akward animations.

As for the drop in frames when the ball is put in play that would not be good if that is not ironed out. I mean the gameplay footage i saw on G4 it looked money flat out. I don't know if they had a finalized copy or what, honestly i don't know what to think until the demo or the final game comes out.

# 3 BigH2k6 @ 02/20/09 09:58 AM
Meh...

Nothing really new here. While some of these negative things may be annoying, they are far from game breakers, except for framerate.

As long as the frame rate is good and the gamepley is great, I can live with the other minor annoyances.

I give more weight to what Steve said and according to what he said, the game looks good so far.

# 4 SwinginAs12 @ 02/20/09 10:11 AM
The thing is that the game he has was meant to be not all that great because 2k wants to see how we react. This will give them ideas to what they need to fix to, keep us wanting to buy the game. But when it comes out it will be polished and much better, to show us that VC has got it under control. =)

# 5 nemesis04 @ 02/20/09 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwinginAs12
The thing is that the game he has was meant to be not all that great because 2k wants to see how we react. This will give them ideas to what they need to fix to, keep us wanting to buy the game. But when it comes out it will be polished and much better, to show us that VC has got it under control. =)
I am not understanding this logic.

# 6 SwinginAs12 @ 02/20/09 10:17 AM
sorry i meant the beta version that steve has that posts those vids, is meant to be bad, so that 2k can see how we react to those videos. The reaction will allow 2k to fix whats wrong and tie up any loose ends.

# 7 texbuk84 @ 02/20/09 10:21 AM
im still buying it.

# 8 SwinginAs12 @ 02/20/09 10:26 AM
^^ Dude your awesome?

# 9 SwinginAs12 @ 02/20/09 10:29 AM
Thats my point. It isnt FINISHED, they send it to steve to see what they need to fix and what is spot on correct.

# 10 SwinginAs12 @ 02/20/09 10:37 AM
1) PR?
2) Ik it gets shipped out on the 23 they just cant sell it till the 3rd.

# 11 SwinginAs12 @ 02/20/09 10:42 AM
Sickkk, than why the hell isnt IGN doing any videos?

They need to get on top of their game!

# 12 sirwoodz @ 02/20/09 11:45 AM
you guys do realize that STEVE didn't write this right?

# 13 MattNYY @ 02/20/09 12:01 PM
It would be nice if you actually played the game1

# 14 nemesis04 @ 02/20/09 12:05 PM
Where is the Shows version of this type of thread?

# 15 dlasp66 @ 02/20/09 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Where is the Shows version of this type of thread?
ummm.......isnt this the 2k forum?

# 16 nemesis04 @ 02/20/09 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlasp66
ummm.......isnt this the 2k forum?
Meaning, a thread of this type over there! Your first answer was better.

# 17 ShowTyme15 @ 02/20/09 12:44 PM
I still don't get why people are getting so mad about bat sounds I swear I've been to plenty of games and that is what the crack of the bat sounds like even when I watch highlights on MLB.com and you hear teh ball being hit that is what it sounds like. I think 2k did a good job with it.

# 18 kromo50 @ 02/20/09 01:31 PM
for sure getting this game if i played 2k8 i sure can stand play this, and for some reason i might be the only one that does not like MLB 09 The Show

# 19 Ltrain44 @ 02/20/09 01:48 PM
Yeah. The person that wrote this even said they "Have not had time to play the game".. Ok. next

# 20 SoxFan01605 @ 02/20/09 03:26 PM
Guys, it's just an early opinion piece. He even used two disclaimers (that he hasn't played, and some of the cons were likely to be ironed out at release).
It's not praising or bashing the game...lol

I wonder if some here have stock in 2K or a rival company based on the emotional responses every word about this game generates. Also, for those inferring OS is "above" this, you're wrong. They write opinion pieces all the time...lol. This is not a review or preview...just an article. Come back in from the ledge...it's nice and warm

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.