Home
Feature Article
OS Awards: Individual-Based Game of the Year
Traditionally, Operation Sports has handed out awards based upon individual sports such as golf, fighting games, baseball, basketball, etc. However, given the continual decline in the number of options available in the sports gaming marketplace, we have combined several categories into two separate categories: team-based and individual-based games of the year.

This year's Individual Game of the Year could also be called our rookie of the year since it was a debuting new series. UFC Undisputed 2009 was not only crowned champion over its closest rival, Fight Night Round 4, but it also claimed the championship in very convincing fashion. Simply put, UFC Undisputed 2009 is a lot like the UFC: When MMA video gaming appeared all but dead, UFC 2009 Undisputed came in and stole the show, and now it is one of the biggest names in sports gaming. We cannot wait to see what is in store for next year's title.

Best Individual Sports Game of the Year: UFC 2009 Undisputed

Jim Harris:
There are a number of solid titles in this category, but my vote goes to UFC: Undisputed. Given MMA's scope and the number of moves and tactics THQ had to incorporate, I think the developers did an effective job of creating a game that is both deep and fun to play.

Christian McLeod:
Punch-Out is the type of game that everyone asks for and then everyone overlooks. Beautiful graphics, check. Tight controls, check. Incredibly deep and challenging gameplay, check. Extremely polished with no glitches or game-breaking freezes, check and checkmate. Punch-Out is a masterpiece in sports gaming, and it should go down as one of the all-time classics in sports gaming. The gameplay style may lean heavily in the arcade direction, but it is tough to deny how much fun this game is to play once you give it a chance. Unfortunately, because the game did not appeal to the "sim" masses, one of the greatest sports games of 2009 was mostly overlooked by the OS staff and community alike. Punch-Out is the perfect sports game for those who love video games, and it is hands down the best individual sports game of 2009.

Matthew Coe: I have to cast a vote for UFC Undisputed 2009. Given the depth of maneuvers -- and the difficulty in the past transferring the feeling and technique of MMA and UFC specifically to a video game -- no game was better at translating the feel and excitement of the sport than this game.

Reader's Choice

Winner: UFC Undisputed 2009

Voting Results: UFC Undisputed 2009 (38%), Fight Night Round 4 (33%), Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 (15%)

Reader Comments: Tiger and Fight Night were the best in this category to me. But I have to go with Fight Night since I cannot stop playing it. - PappyKnuckles

I had a hard time with this one. Fight Night was amazing, Tiger Woods was good, but I had a blast with UFC and have now done four careers in it this year.- stlstudios189

Punch-Out...fantastic, if unrealistic gameplay makes it the cream of the crop. Tiger is a close second. - JohnnytheSkin

UFC 2009 Undisputed Videos
Member Comments
# 1 SDwinder @ 01/01/10 05:32 AM
Only played the demo of UFC. It was good, but Fight Night 4 is more my style. Look forward to the new UFC in 2010 though. Never played Punch Out, so no comment there.

Fight Night R4 was what I had been hoping for. I always loved the analog controls and after the patches and DLC, I have been very happy with it. Love the sim aspect to it.

Tiger Woods 10 on the 360 this year was great with the new course textures, but I enjoyed the gameplay more in 09. Plus I didnt have to spend a small fortune on my favorite courses with DLC. The new rain aspects were cool, but got old fast. I would rather see dynamic lighting over a round, like we used to have on the PC versions. I never did buy Tiger 10 because of the DLC reeming, but I continue to play Tiger 09 with all the courses.

I played the Wii Tiger 10 too and it was very well done with the controls, but I missed the eye candy of the 360.

# 2 Shinyhubcaps @ 01/03/10 10:30 PM
Skate 2 for underrated game of the year. Being released in mid-January certainly didn't help, but I would have liked to see it somewhere to show the breadth of sports games that 2009 offered.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.