Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2011-12 NHL Regular Season Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=82446)

Grover 11-28-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRevival (Post 2573531)
Ovechkin has 9 3/4.

Rick DiPietro has infinity.

Grover 11-28-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRevival (Post 2573534)
We can't be far from finding him dead in a room somewhere only to get the reveal, 6 months later, that the Islanders hired someone to off him to get rid of his cap hit, can we?

EDIT: Yeah, that brings new meaning to the term cap hit.

If they hired a hit man, the bullet would find a way through DiPietro's legs.

SackAttack 11-28-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRevival (Post 2573534)
We can't be far from finding him dead in a room somewhere only to get the reveal, 6 months later, that the Islanders hired someone to off him to get rid of his cap hit, can we?

EDIT: Yeah, that brings new meaning to the term cap hit.

Is that, in retrospect, the worst contract in professional sports history?

Logan 11-28-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackAttack (Post 2573544)
Is that the worst contract in professional sports history?

Fixed. It was Ryan Howard-bad at the time.

SackAttack 11-28-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 2573545)
Fixed. It was Ryan Howard-bad at the time.

He got that straight out of the draft, though, didn't he? Or soon enough after?

Howard at least had some big years before getting paid.

RainMaker 11-28-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Rashard Lewis has to rank up there somewhere.

Grover 11-28-2011 04:58 PM

Ricky Five-Hole signed the deal in 2006. He had played just 143 games for the Isles before the deal.

He's played 162 games since...

I think the Kovalchuk deal could be one of the worst all time as well.

JonInMiddleGA 11-28-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

ARod & the Rangers

Suburban Rhythm 11-28-2011 05:01 PM

Yeah it's a bad deal, but I don't think the worst. If only because the cap hit is like $4.5M. In a couple years, it will be a nuisance, but not a killer contract.

(I apologize to Pumpy for my $ usage in this post. In order to make it up to him, I'll post something nice)

Zach Parise isn't too bad looking when standing next to Ken Daneyko

RomaGoth 11-28-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2573557)
Yeah it's a bad deal, but I don't think the worst. If only because the cap hit is like $4.5M. In a couple years, it will be a nuisance, but not a killer contract.

(I apologize to Pumpy for my $ usage in this post. In order to make it up to him, I'll post something nice)

What the hell is wrong with Ken Daneyko? :redface:

Wolfpack 11-28-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors (Post 2573506)
Yeah, I wonder where it's all coming from. I mean, we've got Capitals fans, Flyers fans, Hurricanes fans, and that guy with the funny blog who likes the Maple Leafs (I can't remember his name) griping. These four teams have one Stanley Cup championship combined in the past 36 years. Where are the expectations coming from?

If this is the norm, I should've shot myself in the face after the Devils missed the playoffs last season. [insert joke here about how I should shoot myself in the face for being a Devils fan]

Meh, forget the Cup right now. I'm just looking for competent, competitive play and a coach who actually knows how to do anything besides dump-and-chase and can actually develop his players. Maurice may be a nice guy, but he's got a certain mindset about how his teams should play and it never adjusts for what he actually has on his roster (Rutherford's not immune to blame on this because he kept feeding Maurice round pegs for his square holes). Arguably his best team was the 2009 team he inherited from Laviolette and that was because he didn't do too much tinkering other than tightening up the defense. Once he had time to put his stamp on the team, it went downhill.

RomaGoth 11-28-2011 08:18 PM

I love the NHL. FWIW, Dubinsky is right...anyone who has ever seen Jody Shelley play...errr...skate...err....whatever the hell he is trying to do on the ice, knows that he does, indeed, suck.

New York Rangers' Brandon Dubinsky says Philadelphia Flyers' Jody Shelley is 'terrible hockey player' - ESPN New York

Suburban Rhythm 11-28-2011 08:24 PM

3 games for Pacciorretty hit on Letang.

I expected 0 and had hoped for 2, so this is a surprise.

Dr. Sak 11-28-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 2573619)
I love the NHL. FWIW, Dubinsky is right...anyone who has ever seen Jody Shelley play...errr...skate...err....whatever the hell he is trying to do on the ice, knows that he does, indeed, suck.

New York Rangers' Brandon Dubinsky says Philadelphia Flyers' Jody Shelley is 'terrible hockey player' - ESPN New York

I can't argue with that and I was hoping he would get waived.

Logan 11-28-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 2573619)

Good for Shelley. He parlayed a great Ranger career into a great Philly contract.

Grover 11-28-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2573624)
I can't argue with that and I was hoping he would get waived.

We can dream.

Honolulu_Blue 11-28-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2573622)
3 games for Pacciorretty hit on Letang.

I expected 0 and had hoped for 2, so this is a surprise.

Hoped for two? Did it happen to slip your mind that Letang plays for Gary's favoritest team?

terpkristin 11-28-2011 09:38 PM

I'm going to my first-ever hockey game tomorrow with work. Blues @ Caps I think. Well, definitely Caps...

/tk

MizzouRah 11-28-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terpkristin (Post 2573652)
I'm going to my first-ever hockey game tomorrow with work. Blues @ Caps I think. Well, definitely Caps...

/tk

You are correct and I can't wait to watch it!

GO BLUES! :)

Pumpy Tudors 11-28-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2573557)

lol you are amazing

Suburban Rhythm 11-29-2011 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2573646)
Hoped for two? Did it happen to slip your mind that Letang plays for Gary's favoritest team?

He needs to have another meeting with his officials then....they didn't even call a penalty on the play.

Dr. Sak 11-29-2011 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terpkristin (Post 2573652)

/tk

I hope your seats aren't next to the horn guy.

gstelmack 11-29-2011 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors (Post 2573506)
Yeah, I wonder where it's all coming from. I mean, we've got Capitals fans, Flyers fans, Hurricanes fans, and that guy with the funny blog who likes the Maple Leafs (I can't remember his name) griping. These four teams have one Stanley Cup championship combined in the past 36 years. Where are the expectations coming from?

I don't care so much that the Canes WIN, I care that they actually try and play hard. And there is some legitimate anger at how they've built the team. For example, they went cheap on Cole so he ended up walking, but then spent more than what it would have taken to keep Cole on Tomas Kaberle instead. One key to Cole is that Eric Staal plays better when Cole is on the line with him.

This is a team that should be able to make the playoffs most years, although not very many unlikely Cup runs, but there are some real headscratchers on personnel decisions, and the team as a whole simply doesn't seem to play very hard consistently.

Honolulu_Blue 11-29-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2573747)
He needs to have another meeting with his officials then....they didn't even call a penalty on the play.

They were probably too busy making sure Sidney Crosby was ok. I am sure those officials got a stern talking to.

Honolulu_Blue 11-29-2011 12:00 PM

Carolina has claimed The Noodler off waivers.

There are also rumors swirling around that the Ducks may be willing to trade Bobby Ryan. I know Ryan is struggling this year, but I am fan of the guy. Though I don't think it'd ever happen, the Wings could really use some youth and scoring on the wing.

Honolulu_Blue 11-29-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRevival (Post 2573933)
Ovechkin for Ryan straight up. That would be a landscape changing move. Ducks would have to throw in more salary to balance it, and the Caps would likely send a pick back, but that would certainly cement the end of the primadonna era in DC.

That is madness.

Also, the Ducks are on a pretty strict slef-imposed budget. No way could they take on Ovechkin's massive contract.

JPhillips 11-29-2011 12:13 PM

The Caps will either win with Ovechkin or not win. Trading your superstar for lesser pieces won't help.

RomaGoth 11-29-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2573932)
There are also rumors swirling around that the Ducks may be willing to trade Bobby Ryan. I know Ryan is struggling this year, but I am fan of the guy. Though I don't think it'd ever happen, the Wings could really use some youth and scoring on the wing.

Would love to see Ryan wearing the winged wheel. We desperately need some scoring off the wing, and his speed/size combination would fit in very well.

Grover 11-29-2011 12:21 PM

Best of luck to Nodl in Carolina. I'll miss him.

Fidatelo 11-29-2011 12:24 PM

Byfuglien for Bobby Ryan straight up. Make it happen, Chevledayoff. :)

JPhillips 11-29-2011 12:38 PM

My point is that there's no way the Caps win the Cup without Ovechkin playing like a star. There's no way to get rid of him and be better.

Honolulu_Blue 11-29-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRevival (Post 2573955)
Ovechkin is 9-10m/yr. Ryan is 5.5m/yr. Anaheim tosses in a contract, the Caps respond with a high draft pick, and it evens out.

When you're talking internal team budget, I think you also have to take into account the overall value of the contract, not just the per year cap hit. When Bobby Ryan's contract comes off the books in 2015, the Caps will still being owing Ovie another $50 million or so? Yikes!

JPhillips 11-29-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRevival (Post 2573955)
Ovechkin is 9-10m/yr. Ryan is 5.5m/yr. Anaheim tosses in a contract, the Caps respond with a high draft pick, and it evens out.

I think he means it would be madness for the Caps. Ovechkin's lowest point total is higher than Ryan's highest point total.

Honolulu_Blue 11-29-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 2573960)
I think he means it would be madness for the Caps. Ovechkin's lowest point total is higher than Ryan's highest point total.

Yes. It would be madness for the Caps.

And I also believe that it would be financially impossible for the Ducks.

Suburban Rhythm 11-29-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRevival (Post 2573963)
The difference is the steady decline Ovechkin has been going through. He's pack on at least 25-30lbs since joining the league. He no longer keeps the initial distance on defenders that he gains by cherrypicking on breakaways. He's no longer the creative guy who bounces the puck off the boards and spins around a defender. He's no longer the guy who goes sliding across the ice and hooks a puck in the goal while he's on his back.

He's become the guy who gets most of his goals right near the crease on put backs but isn't willing to do that work most of the time. He's become the guy who puts on 1-2 high energy shifts per period, but spends the rest of the time floating around doing no work on defense or in the corners/down low on offense. He's become the guy who whines his way onto the point on PPs because he doesn't like taking the contact down low and his PP numbers have declined badly because of it. He's become an 80-85 point winger, and shows no signs of doing the work to get back to the 100+ point superstar.

I would love to see the superstar Alex Ovechkin again. I don't think he exists, and even if he does I don't see any indication he's willing to work for it. Maybe, hopefully Dale Hunter can be the kind of coach to get him to put the effort in. Otherwise, we're looking at something that is going to slip into very bad contract territory very soon.

I think alot of this is how guys play him anymore. He scored a bunch of goals by entering the zone with speed, and ripping a shot using the D as a screen.

D are no longer concerned with getting beat by him blowing past him, so they stand up on him, he no longer gets those shots off.

I'll stop short of calling him a one-trick pony, because he did have some great goals in tight. But his best chances are being taken away before they even develop now.

Suburban Rhythm 11-29-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2573930)
They were probably too busy making sure Sidney Crosby was ok. I am sure those officials got a stern talking to.

Shanny is going to be getting a memo

NHL fines Penguins winger Neal $2,500 for high-stick incident

Unless this is all part of the coverup, in which case, good job.

Honolulu_Blue 11-29-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2573967)
Unless this is all part of the coverup, in which case, good job.

Now you're starting to get the hang of this...

Chief Rum 11-29-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2573932)
Carolina has claimed The Noodler off waivers.

The problem with the Ducks is not the talent. They shouldn't be looking to move these guys. I think the issue is that the veterans have tuned out Carlyle. Most of them have been here a while and have been listening to Carlyle's tough guy schtick since before the Cup year.

Logan 11-29-2011 01:36 PM

I have to imagine the Rangers would be very interested in a deal for Ryan, and for once it seems like we'd have the young players/prospects to pull off such a deal.

RomaGoth 11-29-2011 02:46 PM

I never knew that Gretzky had a daughter, and she ain't bad to look at:

Did The Great One shut down Paulina Gretzky’s tantalizing Twitter? - Puck Daddy - NHL*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

:popcorn: