Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Big 10 Expansion Thread -Big Ten ready for a playoff .. finally? (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=76565)

CU Tiger 11-03-2016 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 3126727)

Hey digamma, where did you put the dick-measuring thread again?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerRealName (Post 3126818)
I live in Texas now but I'm guessing the big schools like Massillon, St. X, and Ignatius still average more than 10,000 per game.

It isnt just the big schools though. My wife's hometown High School stadium is larger than the town population yet they manage to fill it up most games. There may be more passionate high school football fans in Texas but Ohio isn't far behind.

Thanks for the reply.
Despite cuervo's post above, I wasnt trying to start a "X state HS Football is better than Y state HS football." debate. It was a genuine unknown.

I've lived in the South East the vast, vast majority of my life. With the lone exception being about 4 months in Jersey in '00. Being new to the area and not knowing anyone or much of what to do, and being that we rented a place literally a block from the local High School the wife and I went to a few high school games (precisely 3) during that time. It wasn't a huge school, to be sure, but we were shocked at how little the attendance was. I'm talking less than 100 fans in the stands. We would sit against the "press box" and could hear the phone ringing and assistant coaches all night "Just the start of the 3rd quarter. Probably another hour til the game is over" as parents apparently called in to know when to pick up their kids. And this was a good team according to the local papers. So that has long been my vision of Jersey and NE football. I can readily accept that it is wrong. It was a genuine curiosity.

The number correlation, to me, was a threshold necessary to impact NCAA attendance. Nothing more or less.

JPhillips 11-03-2016 08:25 AM

NE football isn't midwest football.

From NE Ohio through western PA football is huge.

Logan 11-03-2016 08:44 AM

Guessing Rutgers-Washington will be Friday of Labor Day weekend next season.

lungs 11-03-2016 09:27 AM

A lot of schools in Wisconsin are struggling to put together 11 man teams these days. OH and PA obviously have big football followings but I'm not sure about the rest of the Big Ten geographic footprint.

vex 12-12-2016 12:55 PM

Take this with a truckload of salt, but someone posted this on the OU board:

Quote:

One of my best clients is an OU big money donor. He tells me that the Big XII and the PAC 12 are currently in talks concerning a merger of these two conferences to create the first super conference. The only detail I could squeeze out of him was that West Virginia would most likely join the ACC.

Mizzou B-ball fan 12-12-2016 12:56 PM

[quote=vex;3135094]Take this with a truckload of salt, but someone posted this on the OU board:

Quote:

One of my best clients is an OU big money donor. He tells me that the Big XII and the PAC 12 are currently in talks concerning a merger of these two conferences to create the first super conference. The only detail I could squeeze out of him was that West Virginia would most likely join the ACC.[/]

You'd have to dump six teams to do that. Who would be the six (five if you assume the WVU reference is true)?

vex 12-12-2016 12:58 PM

[quote=Mizzou B-ball fan;3135096]
Quote:

Originally Posted by vex (Post 3135094)
Take this with a truckload of salt, but someone posted this on the OU board:

You'd have to dump six teams to do that. Who would be the six (five if you assume the WVU reference is true)?

People are guessing Baylor and TCU with their religious ties. Probably Iowa State. Beats me on the rest.

Young Drachma 12-12-2016 01:05 PM

LOL. In the Twitter era, if some dude at the bar at some club knows...the internet would know already.

panerd 12-12-2016 01:57 PM

Iowa State, TCU, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Kansas.

Re KU: Lot's of great basketball programs aren't in major football conferences.

vex 12-12-2016 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 3135117)

UT won't leave TTU out in the cold.

Mizzou B-ball fan 12-12-2016 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 3135117)

I will say that the success of the Big East definitely has opened up that option for schools. They're doing well as a basketball-first conference.

digamma 12-12-2016 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 3135131)
I will say that the success of the Big East definitely has opened up that option for schools. They're doing well as a basketball-first conference.

Ummmm teams without FBS football programs are in a different spot than teams with current Power 5 football programs, especially when some of those schools view themselves as football schools.

sooner333 12-13-2016 07:40 PM

I highly doubt it's true (both in general and in my idea), but perhaps the idea is a 20 team super conference, which effectively acts as two conferences selling their media rights as a conglomorate. The two ten team divisions could play round robin and the winners play a championship game against each other (and no other games between the two).

dawgfan 12-13-2016 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sooner333 (Post 3135372)
I highly doubt it's true (both in general and in my idea), but perhaps the idea is a 20 team super conference, which effectively acts as two conferences selling their media rights as a conglomorate. The two ten team divisions could play round robin and the winners play a championship game against each other (and no other games between the two).

That's my reaction as well. Everyone is focused on the idea of 16-team super-conferences, but that's not necessarily how things will shake out.

miami_fan 04-07-2017 10:19 AM

I guess this has become the catch-all thread for conference movement.

Wichita State to the AAC.

American Athletic Conference votes to add Wichita State Shockers

Young Drachma 04-07-2017 11:16 AM

As expected re: Wichita State, should be a marginal win for both. I mean, there wasn't really a more logical place for them tbh, but they had to get out of the MVC.

MVC looking at Nebraska-Omaha or possibly all three Dakota schools to replace them (SDSU, NDSU, UND) or some random school like Oakland (MI). Will be interesting to see what direction they head.

CrescentMoonie 04-12-2017 01:29 PM

Bill would make UNC, NC State leave ACC if boycotted again

It won't happen, but who moves to the ACC if the state actually follows through on this nuclear option?

ISiddiqui 04-12-2017 01:34 PM

I think the knowledge that the Governor is sure to veto the bill is why they put it up in the first place. They wouldn't do it if it was to pass (same as the Republicans with the ACA in Congress).

mckerney 04-12-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie (Post 3155331)
Bill would make UNC, NC State leave ACC if boycotted again

It won't happen, but who moves to the ACC if the state actually follows through on this nuclear option?

The bill says it would require the schools to announce their intention to leave when the current media rights expire, which is in 2027.

Young Drachma 04-12-2017 02:13 PM

sure beats writing actual useful legislation, that's for sure.

britrock88 04-17-2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Drachma (Post 3155345)
sure beats writing actual useful legislation, that's for sure.

Well, this is North Carolina we're talking about, so the usual standard...

Kodos 07-25-2017 01:38 PM

Big Ten formally announces six-year media rights deal with ESPN, FOX and CBS - The Washington Post

Not really related to conference alignments, but this seems like a good spot for this article.

CrescentMoonie 06-02-2018 06:48 PM

Thought this might be a good place for the following article.

Conference re-alignment will come - shaped by tech, not TV

Young Drachma 06-27-2019 12:13 PM

UConn headed to the Big East officially. Date a year TBD, they're still figuring out what to do with football. (Probably independent.)

cuervo72 06-27-2019 04:25 PM

UConn, in the Big East? What a concept!