Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2011-12 NHL Regular Season Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=82446)

Galaxy 10-12-2011 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2547243)
Well this is certainly interesting:

@TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
More and more NHL governors convinced DET will be moving to SE Div in Eastern Conference when realignment done in early December.

SE division? Really? Was this Bettman's idea?

Suburban Rhythm 10-12-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2547243)
Well this is certainly interesting:

@TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
More and more NHL governors convinced DET will be moving to SE Div in Eastern Conference when realignment done in early December.

He was on On the Fly last night, and this was one of the points he discussed. I guess the BOG are willing to give in allowing the Wings to move to the East, but not willing to break up the current NE and ATL to fit them in?

I am way too lazy to do this, but I wonder what the travel savings/gain will be in an average year. Sure, they'll eliminate a 2,000 mile trip to Vancouver, but will make 3 intra-division trips to Miami each year now.

(I realize this is not accurate, as each road game will not always originate from Detroit).

Fidatelo 10-12-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2547301)
He was on On the Fly last night, and this was one of the points he discussed. I guess the BOG are willing to give in allowing the Wings to move to the East, but not willing to break up the current NE and ATL to fit them in?

I am way too lazy to do this, but I wonder what the travel savings/gain will be in an average year. Sure, they'll eliminate a 2,000 mile trip to Vancouver, but will make 3 intra-division trips to Miami each year now.

(I realize this is not accurate, as each road game will not always originate from Detroit).

The time zone shift is far more important than the actual mileage traveled. Getting the vast majority of the Wings road games into EST will be much better for regional and national TV coverage, I imagine.

I know that I am not looking forward to the Jets playing in a division with Vancouver (and to a lesser degree Edmonton and Calgary), not because I care how long the flight is, but because I don't feel like staying up past midnight to watch hockey.

Suburban Rhythm 10-12-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 2547307)
The time zone shift is far more important than the actual mileage traveled. Getting the vast majority of the Wings road games into EST will be much better for regional and national TV coverage, I imagine.

I get this, but I wouldn't think it be that much of an impact. National TV coverage would be limited to a handful of VS games, and the NBC games come spring would be afternoon games. Regional, maybe slightly more, but alot like Pittsburgh and Buffalo, isn't Detroit pretty solid already in regional broadcasts?

Quote:

I know that I am not looking forward to the Jets playing in a division with Vancouver (and to a lesser degree Edmonton and Calgary), not because I care how long the flight is, but because I don't feel like staying up past midnight to watch hockey.

I hear this. Pens opened the season @VAN (Thurs), @CAL (Saturday), @EDM (Sunday). I was in bed at 1:15am Thursday (stupid shootout), 12:45am Saturday and midnight Sunday. I was worthless (more than usual) at work Monday.

Fidatelo 10-12-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2547308)
I get this, but I wouldn't think it be that much of an impact. National TV coverage would be limited to a handful of VS games, and the NBC games come spring would be afternoon games. Regional, maybe slightly more, but alot like Pittsburgh and Buffalo, isn't Detroit pretty solid already in regional broadcasts?

I just think it would help ratings. Detroit is one of America's top draws, and getting more of their games on in prime hours out east has got to be beneficial. And regionally I'm sure they draw well, but perhaps they could draw even better playing against eastern teams.

Quote:

I hear this. Pens opened the season @VAN (Thurs), @CAL (Saturday), @EDM (Sunday). I was in bed at 1:15am Thursday (stupid shootout), 12:45am Saturday and midnight Sunday. I was worthless (more than usual) at work Monday.

See, that sucks. Now imagine being a Red Wings fan and having trips like that occur several times a year. Brutal.

It's funny but I actually would prefer the Jets stay in the Southeast than go into the Northwest (not that it will ever happen). I'm sure I can learn to hate the state of Florida just as much as Alberta over time, and if I can get it done by 9-10pm all the better :)

Honolulu_Blue 10-12-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 2547313)
See, that sucks. Now imagine being a Red Wings fan and having trips like that occur several times a year. Brutal.

The worst is during the playoffs. Having back-to-back playoff games not starting until 10:00 or 10:30 pm EST is really tough. You can't really go to bed and watch it in the morning (or at least I can't) and it's hard to fall asleep right after the game ends.

Brutal, indeed.

RomaGoth 10-12-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2547316)
The worst is during the playoffs. Having back-to-back playoff games not starting until 10:00 or 10:30 pm EST is really tough. You can't really go to bed and watch it in the morning (or at least I can't) and it's hard to fall asleep right after the game ends.

Brutal, indeed.

The trick is to move further west, then you get the earlier start times! :D

chrisj 10-12-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

But it sounds like the Jets won't be in the same division as Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver - as that would leave 1 US team stuck in a division with 4 Canadian teams.

Suburban Rhythm 10-13-2011 12:22 PM

Crosby cleared for contact. No timetable for a return to games at this point.

Additionally, Pens extend Chris Kunitz for 2 more years at the same cap hit, $3.725M.

MacroGuru 10-13-2011 12:41 PM

Drove by the First Niagara Center (Formerely HSBC Arena) today and it looks awesome...new pain, new landscaping and new signage..I hope to snap a pic of it tomorrow before I head home.

MikeVic 10-13-2011 09:05 PM

Wellwood tripped on the blue line on a breakaway but then scored shortly after. I've heard of this Wellwood fellow before, but now I get to experience him!

DeToxRox 10-13-2011 09:12 PM

Asham KO'd Beagle tonight.

Suburban Rhythm 10-13-2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2548631)

Jay thinks he's at the Regal Beagle right now, sipping mimosas with Mrs. Roper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6z0GML9XLI

(Does embed not work anymore? I'm taking the code directly from YT)

NoSkillz 10-13-2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacroGuru (Post 2548134)
Drove by the First Niagara Center (Formerely HSBC Arena) today and it looks awesome...new pain, new landscaping and new signage..I hope to snap a pic of it tomorrow before I head home.

Looking forward to seeing it - I'm going to the game tomorrow night but I hear the main sign won't be up until game two. Still, amazing progress to get almost everything done, including the incredible locker room renovations before the season starts.

RomaGoth 10-14-2011 12:15 AM

Excellent win for the Wings and back-to-back shutouts by Conklin and Howard. Perhaps Hudler is finally ready to play hockey after his vacation in Russia.

Galaxy 10-14-2011 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoSkillz (Post 2548704)
Looking forward to seeing it - I'm going to the game tomorrow night but I hear the main sign won't be up until game two. Still, amazing progress to get almost everything done, including the incredible locker room renovations before the season starts.

Final pics of the new locker room/player-staff facilities. $10 million worth of renovations well spent. It looks more like a luxury ski resort in Colorado in some ways than a pro sports team locker room.

Incompatible Browser | Facebook

SackAttack 10-14-2011 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaxy (Post 2547255)
SE division? Really? Was this Bettman's idea?

If that happens the Panthers will never make the playoffs again.

I wonder if this is what it was like to be a Lions fan.

Dr. Sak 10-14-2011 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2548631)

Nice gesture by him after....must have been the Flyer in him dying to come out.

sterlingice 10-14-2011 07:29 AM

Aw, crap. I completely missed the start of the season. I looked at Yahoo this morning and saw "Chicago-Winnipeg" and went "wait- is this score from 2011"?

SI

Suburban Rhythm 10-14-2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2548869)

In his defense, he tapped his stick from the box, and in his comments after the game called himself "classless".

Besides, it's not like he booed the support of cancer research ;)

Flyers fans boo rivals; alas, it’s during an anti-cancer commercial - Puck Daddy - NHL*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Suburban Rhythm 10-14-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2548869)

DOLA

The HFboards therad on it was classic (before it totally derailed and was closed).

Asham's actions were out of line, no doubt. But the guy with the handle 'GreatCapsAO08' lecturing about on-ice antics was pretty funny.

MizzouRah 10-14-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 2548800)
Excellent win for the Wings and back-to-back shutouts by Conklin and Howard. Perhaps Hudler is finally ready to play hockey after his vacation in Russia.

It's amazing how the Blues get these Detroit goalies and they suck.. :)

JPhillips 10-14-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2548895)
DOLA

The HFboards therad on it was classic (before it totally derailed and was closed).

Asham's actions were out of line, no doubt. But the guy with the handle 'GreatCapsAO08' lecturing about on-ice antics was pretty funny.

I never understand the etiquette rules around fighting. Asham challenged Beagle, bloodied and knocked him unconscious and that is perfectly acceptable, but making a sleeping gesture is beyond the pale?

Suburban Rhythm 10-14-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 2548929)
I never understand the etiquette rules around fighting. Asham challenged Beagle, bloodied and knocked him unconscious and that is perfectly acceptable, but making a sleeping gesture is beyond the pale?

Exactly.

Punches to the face? Kosher

Hurting someone's feeling? THERE MUST BE BLOOD!!

Fidatelo 10-14-2011 12:11 PM

Things the NHL needs to eliminate:
1. Touch-up icing
2. Fighting
3. The Phoenix Coyotes

Galaxy 10-14-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 2549099)
1. Touch-up icing
2. Fighting
3. The Phoenix Coyotes

Fighting?

Pumpy Tudors 10-14-2011 12:55 PM

welp this thread is now shot for the whole season
see you next year

MacroGuru 10-14-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaxy (Post 2549110)
Fighting?

Canadians think it isn't part of the game...;)

Dr. Sak 10-14-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2548889)
In his defense, he tapped his stick from the box, and in his comments after the game called himself "classless".

Besides, it's not like he booed the support of cancer research ;)

Flyers fans boo rivals; alas, it’s during an anti-cancer commercial - Puck Daddy - NHL*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

It is all how you look at it, if Carcillo would have done that after fighting a Penguins, the Pens fans would be all up calling him classless.

I heard Asham after the game, he's a good guy and I think he just got caught up in the moment.

Dr. Sak 10-14-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 2549099)
1. Touch-up icing
2. Fighting
3. The Phoenix Coyotes

First year back in the league and you already think you own the place to make rule changes? Darn rookies ;)

sterlingice 10-14-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2549164)
First year back in the league and you already think you own the place to make rule changes? Darn rookies ;)

:D

SI

Fidatelo 10-14-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaxy (Post 2549110)
Fighting?

I loved fighting in hockey as a kid, but as I have aged I see a lot more negatives than positives. Even before all the recent talk of concussions and depression etc, my stance has shifted to anti-fighting.

My biggest issue with fighting has less to do with the battle itself than the ripple effect it has. I don't really care if two grown men want to slug each other in the face for 45 seconds in order to preserve some kind of code.

The bigger issue is that these guys didn't start slugging people in the face the day they turned 18 or entered the NHL. They've been doing it since they were 13, 14, or 15, at the encouragement of a culture that places a premium on the role of an enforcer.

I would hate to think that someday my sons (or anyone else's) might feel that the only way they can 'make it to the bigs' would be to start slugging it up 50 times a year at the age of 14. I also hate to think of all the kids that have to skate around trying to avoid being the next target on some goon-on-the-rise's resume.

Hockey is a great sport, and ya, it's physical and tempers flare and whatever. Fights happen. Hell, I once got in a fight in sponge hockey game. It happens. But the fact that it is basically allowed (5 minutes a piece is not a deterrent) leads to enforcers, staged fights, and all sorts of shenanigans that have a negative impact way beyond the NHL.

A fight should be a rare occurrence, not a nightly one. The result should be fines and suspensions for both players involved (unless one guy is basically attacked, in which case he shouldn't get the suspension). 1 or 2 games would probably be enough, maybe escalate a bit for repeat offenders. Enough to make it so that the only time a player drops the gloves is when he is really, truly enraged with something another guy has done.

Anyways, that's my long-winded anti-fighting stance.

Fidatelo 10-14-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2549164)

I've got 15 years worth of opinions to vent! :D

Suburban Rhythm 10-14-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2549163)
It is all how you look at it, if Carcillo would have done that after fighting a Penguins, the Pens fans would be all up calling him classless.

I heard Asham after the game, he's a good guy and I think he just got caught up in the moment.

To me, it was no different than celebrating/showboating after a goal. There is a difference between that (or Shhhhhhhhhh! the crowd) and Trevor Gillies standing over Eric Tangradi, talking crap from the runway, while the trainers are working on the injured player. I honestly believe if Asham had not skated immediately to the box and remained in the area and sees the end result, he doesn't make one gesture.

Asham called Knuble after the game to check on Beagle. Knuble called Ash "an honest guy", from their time together in Philly. Boudreau said it "was a mismatch" for Beagle.

He had another interview today where he responded to Ovechkin calling what he did "unrespectful".

Asham called him a "hypocrit" for talking about what is overboard or showboating.

Pumpy Tudors 10-14-2011 02:29 PM

Asham was no more classless than those guys who pulled their goalie on a delayed penalty against the Sabres last year. I can't remember which team it was, but that was fun to read in last year's NHL thread.

Also, as a Devils fan, I find it more classless when a player scores more than one goal.

Logan 10-14-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors (Post 2549205)
Also, as a Devils fan, I find it more classless when a player scores a wraparound goal.

Fixed.

Suburban Rhythm 10-14-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2549197)
To me, it was no different than celebrating/showboating after a goal. There is a difference between that (or Shhhhhhhhhh! the crowd) and Trevor Gillies standing over Eric Tangradi, talking crap from the runway, while the trainers are working on the injured player. I honestly believe if Asham had not skated immediately to the box and remained in the area and sees the end result, he doesn't make one gesture.

Asham called Knuble after the game to check on Beagle. Knuble called Ash "an honest guy", from their time together in Philly. Boudreau said it "was a mismatch" for Beagle.

He had another interview today where he responded to Ovechkin calling what he did "unrespectful".

Asham called him a "hypocrit" for talking about what is overboard or showboating.

They just played the whole clip on the Fan-

"I don't know what Ovy's talking about...this is the same guy that warmed his hands over a stick he threw on the ice. He's a hypocrite"

Pumpy Tudors 10-14-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 2549214)
Fixed.

bite me etc

Suburban Rhythm 10-15-2011 07:39 AM

Except against the Pens, I want to see Tampa score alot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=216HO3idYJ8

MacroGuru 10-15-2011 08:34 AM

Ughh....how do you give up 2 Short Handed goals at home? That confuses me...

It was a fast paced, high tension game...and I do not see Carolina keeping the pace they have kept the past few games all season.

And if Allen from Carolina doesn't get hit by Shanny's ban stick, I will be surprised.

NoSkillz 10-15-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacroGuru (Post 2549754)

It was a fast paced, high tension game...and I do not see Carolina keeping the pace they have kept the past few games all season.

And if Allen from Carolina doesn't get hit by Shanny's ban stick, I will be surprised.

It was a very sloppy performance from Buffalo - Carolina could have scored four shorties if not for Miller's breakaway save on Staal and a goalpost. Just too loosey-goosey. Vanek had a forgettable game but he'll bounce back.

Galaxy 10-15-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacroGuru (Post 2549754)

I didn't think Allen's hit was intentional or really that late. Pommers just over skated the puck and had his head down and Allen was anticipating him of getting the puck.

It was a rough game, but it's only the third game of the season. Undisciplined and way too aggressive. If they play like this for a number of games, I'll be concern.

bhlloy 10-15-2011 02:16 PM

Jason Blake out for 3 months with a laceration just above his wrist, sounds really nasty and very glad it wasn't worse

That being said, cynical side of me thinks the biggest roster jam for the Ducks just got cleared, and this can only make the team better in the short term.

DeToxRox 10-15-2011 11:26 PM

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins hat trick tonight.

Also, Jon Tavares with 8 points in his last two games.

Fidatelo 10-15-2011 11:35 PM

Jets are sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. I don't want to make too many judgements after just 3 games but it is unbelievable how bad they can be in their own zone at times.

The lone bright light so far seems to be Burmistrov. He's a blast to watch.

bhlloy 10-16-2011 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 2550155)
Jets are sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. I don't want to make too many judgements after just 3 games but it is unbelievable how bad they can be in their own zone at times.

The lone bright light so far seems to be Burmistrov. He's a blast to watch.

Seems like if the Jets don't get a surprisingly good goaltending performance from Pavelic like the Thrashers did last year, they could be in pretty bad territory. And so far, they certainly haven't got that level from him or Mason yet.

Chief Rum 10-16-2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhlloy (Post 2549940)
Jason Blake out for 3 months with a laceration just above his wrist, sounds really nasty and very glad it wasn't worse

That being said, cynical side of me thinks the biggest roster jam for the Ducks just got cleared, and this can only make the team better in the short term.

Heh...yeah, I tend to agree. Our most "unproductivce" Top 6 forward now needs to be replaced with someone actually productive.

Chubby 10-16-2011 08:49 AM

Sabres with a good win last night. Very glad Enroth played a solid game and got a W so Lindy doesn't feel like he has to play Miller 75 games this season...