Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   NFL Week 2 Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=87538)

Lathum 09-11-2013 06:20 AM

NFL Week 2 Thread

I am becoming less impressed with David Wilson

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1451488

you fucked up, own it. To call your fan base, one of the classiest and most supportive in all of sports, irrelevant, is disrespectful on so many levels.

Jets- PAts thursday night, I think the Jets keep it close, no Vereen or Amendola for Brady.

Butter 09-11-2013 06:36 AM

What does David Wilson have to do with the Viet Cong?

Lathum 09-11-2013 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 (Post 2853694)

I dont get it

Butter 09-11-2013 06:50 AM

"NLF".

spleen1015 09-11-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

:D

Kodos 09-11-2013 07:46 AM

What's a NiLF?

Lathum 09-11-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 2853695)
I dont get it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 (Post 2853698)
"NLF".

touche

Shkspr 09-11-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 2853693)
To call your fan base, one of the classiest and most supportive in all of sports, irrelevant, is disrespectful on so many levels.

Holy fuck! When did the Giants trade him?

spleen1015 09-11-2013 10:04 AM

Psst, Wilson, if the fans were really irrelevant, then you wouldn't feel the need to respond to them, hrm?

lungs 09-11-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shkspr (Post 2853733)

:lol:

Lathum 09-11-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shkspr (Post 2853733)

I'm going to assume this is sarcasm, if not go ahead and try and get on the season ticket wait list

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-11-2013 10:53 AM

Fan base is buzzing about this week's game. Chiefs home opener against the Cowboys. That place is going to be a nut house. Noise level really should help our d-line get to Romo.

cartman 09-11-2013 10:56 AM

Appears someone has never heard of silent snap counts.

Thomkal 09-11-2013 10:58 AM

Well unfortunately Suh was not suspended, so I expect Carson Palmer to be sacked at least five times and have to leave the game due to an injury.

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-11-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 2853753)
Appears someone has never heard of silent snap counts.

They had those during the days of Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith too. How'd that work out?

cartman 09-11-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2853758)
They had those during the days of Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith too. How'd that work out?

So, what does that have to do with crowd noise? When the Chiefs get to Romo it will be because the offensive line is the weakest unit on the team.

Lathum 09-11-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 2853759)
So, what does that have to do with crowd noise? When the Chiefs get to Romo it will be because the offensive line is the weakest unit on the team.

go to a game in Seattle if you think crowd noise doesnt have an effect on a visiting offense. The Cowboys O-line is crappy already, giving them one more thing to think about wont help

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-11-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 2853763)
go to a game in Seattle if you think crowd noise doesnt have an effect on a visiting offense. The Cowboys O-line is crappy already, giving them one more thing to think about wont help

Even with a silent snap count, when you've got 120-130 decibels ringing through your ears, it's disorienting. It's always funny to see lineman pop up early on their counts even on silent counts. It's even better when the color commentator is a former NFL lineman who laments, 'just look at the ball and that won't happen!' Easier said then done, especially when you're in Arrowhead facing Justin Houston and Tamba Hali on the ends. Communicating blitz pick-ups and audibles also become extremely difficult at best on a good day, leaving a QB unprotected or having a WR break the wrong way because he misread the audible.

Cowboys need to find a way to score first to quiet the crowd a bit. If the Chiefs score first, look out.

cartman 09-11-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2853765)
Even with a silent snap count, when you've got 120-130 decibels ringing through your ears, it's disorienting. It's always funny to see lineman pop up early on their counts even on silent counts. It's even better when the color commentator is a former NFL lineman who laments, 'just look at the ball and that won't happen!' Easier said then done, especially when you're in Arrowhead facing Justin Houston and Tamba Hali on the ends. Communicating blitz pick-ups and audibles also become extremely difficult at best on a good day, leaving a QB unprotected or having a WR break the wrong way because he misread the audible.

Cowboys need to find a way to score first to quiet the crowd a bit. If the Chiefs score first, look out.

If the crowd noise is such a great help, why is KC 14-26 over the past five seasons at home?

Matthean 09-11-2013 11:48 AM

Just imagine how bad they would be without it. :D

Ronnie Dobbs3 09-11-2013 11:49 AM

You guys don't understand. Despite not doing anything in any sport for roughly 30 years, Kansas City is still the center of the sports world.

spleen1015 09-11-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 (Post 2853769)
You guys don't understand. Despite not doing anything in any sport for roughly 30 years, Kansas City is still the center of the sports world.

Gonna go buy me some Royals playoff tickets.

Butter 09-11-2013 11:54 AM

Watching the Bengals/Bears game last weekend, KC has the 3rd longest active playoff winless streak in the NFL behind Cincy and the Lions... 19 seasons without a playoff win.

cartman 09-11-2013 11:55 AM

And I think MBBF just MIGHT be overstating it a bit with his claims of 120-130db. (I know, shocking, right?). The highest recorded peak level at Arrowhead was 116db, and considering each 6db gain is a doubling of the pressure, that is quite the overstatement.

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-11-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 2853767)
If the crowd noise is such a great help, why is KC 14-26 over the past five seasons at home?

Do you really have to ask that? It certainly had little to do with the home field advantage. In fact, most are shocked that it wasn't worse than that given what we've had in regards to a GM and coaching over the past five years.

Anyone who's been paying attention realizes that the front office, coaching and talent levels are all vastly improved over what we've had. With that said, ask any NFL player who's played at Arrowhead, even in the bad years. They'll tell you that it's one of the most difficult places to play in the NFL for all the reasons already listed. Lathum mentioned Seattle. That's the only place I've been to a NFL game that rivals the noise generated at Arrowhead.

Book an airplane ticket up here. I'll get tickets if you find a way to get here.

cartman 09-11-2013 12:03 PM

My aunt and uncle are driving up for the game for my uncle's birthday. I'll trust them to give me an accurate report.

gstelmack 09-11-2013 12:04 PM

The NFL finally clamped down on amplified crowd noise, right?

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-11-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 2853774)
My aunt and uncle are driving up for the game for my uncle's birthday. I'll trust them to give me an accurate report.

FWIW, I can understand how surprised Cowboys fans could be regarding crowd noise. I'm sure many of them who are in attendance will be yelling at Chiefs fans to sit down and be quiet so they can see and hear the TV on the scoreboard. They may not even realize that you can actually look down and see the game being played on the field.

Your aunt and uncle will have a great time. Hopefully they're arriving early to tailgate.

Danny 09-11-2013 12:55 PM

Chiefs need Elvis Grbac to unretire and lead them to the playoffs.

BishopMVP 09-11-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

you fucked up, own it. To call your fan base, one of the classiest and most supportive in all of sports, irrelevant, is disrespectful on so many levels.

Jets- PAts thursday night, I think the Jets keep it close, no Vereen or Amendola for Brady.

I don't think any northeastern fan base that has enough of a vocal minority to support a WEEI/WFAN/whatever talk radio Philly has can be considered one of the most supportive in sports. Passionate, yes, informed, more than people give them credit for, supportive, no.

Jets are getting helped out with the short week - I'd wager on Amendola playing if he had the full week to get healthy. With Gronk and Vereen out and Dobson/Sudfeld hobbled, that means if the Jets blitz and lock off Edelman we'll be relying on Thompkins and Boyce for those hot read option routes that require so much timing and unspoken communication. Plus the Jets have upgraded from lolbad to cromulent at the QB position, so I'm definitely glad this one is in Foxboro. Weather forecast is hot and humid too, so we could see a 2nd consecutive Thursday night game delayed by Thunderstorms.

cartman 09-11-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 2853789)
I don't think any northeastern fan base that has enough of a vocal minority to support a WEEI/WFAN/whatever talk radio Philly has can be considered one of the most supportive in sports. Passionate, yes, informed, more than people give them credit for, supportive, no.

Jets are getting helped out with the short week - I'd wager on Amendola playing if he had the full week to get healthy. With Gronk and Vereen out and Dobson/Sudfeld hobbled, that means if the Jets blitz and lock off Edelman we'll be relying on Thompkins and Boyce for those hot read option routes that require so much timing and unspoken communication. Plus the Jets have upgraded from lolbad to cromulent at the QB position, so I'm definitely glad this one is in Foxboro. Weather forecast is hot and humid too, so we could see a 2nd consecutive Thursday night game delayed by Thunderstorms.

That high humidity level should really help the Patriots get to Geno Smith.

BishopMVP 09-11-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 2853791)
That high humidity level should really help the Patriots get to Geno Smith.

I have no idea what that means. I could see it helping tire out the Jets D-Line (their big strength) if we go up tempo ground and pound.

cuervo72 09-11-2013 01:49 PM

High humidity...helps with their swim technique?

/got nothin'

cartman 09-11-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BishopMVP (Post 2853802)
I have no idea what that means.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 2853804)
/got nothin'

Exactly.

Crapshoot 09-11-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Wait wait, classiest and most supportive? :D :D you sound like a StLouis Cardinals fan.

cartman 09-11-2013 02:20 PM

The Texans are having a "white out" for their game against the Titans this weekend. They are encouraging all of their fans to wear white to the game. And to top things off, to make it the whitest of "white out"s ever, Vanilla Ice is performing at halftime.

Matthean 09-11-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 2853813)
The Texans are having a "white out" for their game against the Titans this weekend. They are encouraging all of their fans to wear white to the game. And to top things off, to make it the whitest of "white out"s ever, Vanilla Ice is performing at halftime.

I wonder what song he'll perform.

Ronnie Dobbs3 09-11-2013 02:26 PM

Will be interesting to see how the white-out helps the Texans linemen get to Locker.

cuervo72 09-11-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 (Post 2853815)
Will be interesting to see how the white-out helps the Texans linemen get to Locker.

*snicker*

cartman 09-11-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 (Post 2853815)

When you have whiteness approaching 100 on the CIE reflection scale, it can be very disorienting. You add in Brian Cushing and JJ Watt staring in at you from the other side of the line, the whiteness can be overpowering.

Kodos 09-11-2013 04:04 PM

Cushing looks like the freakin' Stay Puft Marshmallow Man out there. It's terrifying and disorienting, to say the least! With all that whiteness, it's hard to even tell where the sideline is...

Julio Riddols 09-11-2013 05:37 PM

I don't think what Wilson said is that big of a deal. He is simply saying that other peoples thoughts about him are irrelevant because he is his own critic. The "no one wants me to succeed more than me" seems to support that. Of course it will get blown up because of social media, but really it is incredibly minor. If twitter were around back in the mid 90's, the Cowboys would have probably lost half their team when one of them tweeted about how much coke he had snorted before the big game.

MalcPow 09-11-2013 06:57 PM

That said, every 6mg of coke doubles the pressure on the quarterback.

WHITE OUT

Julio Riddols 09-11-2013 07:13 PM

White out also helps eliminate mistakes. Could be a big game.

TroyF 09-11-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2853773)
Do you really have to ask that? It certainly had little to do with the home field advantage. In fact, most are shocked that it wasn't worse than that given what we've had in regards to a GM and coaching over the past five years.

Anyone who's been paying attention realizes that the front office, coaching and talent levels are all vastly improved over what we've had. With that said, ask any NFL player who's played at Arrowhead, even in the bad years. They'll tell you that it's one of the most difficult places to play in the NFL for all the reasons already listed. Lathum mentioned Seattle. That's the only place I've been to a NFL game that rivals the noise generated at Arrowhead.

Book an airplane ticket up here. I'll get tickets if you find a way to get here.

They were 12-28 in the same time span on the road. Home field gained em two wins.

That said, I think I read somewhere once that KC had the best home winning percentage in the NFL since 1966.

That stadium can get pretty nuts.

fantom1979 09-12-2013 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 2853813)

Knowing the NFL, the white out will be sponsored by Clorox.

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-12-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyF (Post 2853880)
They were 12-28 in the same time span on the road. Home field gained em two wins.

That said, I think I read somewhere once that KC had the best home winning percentage in the NFL since 1966.

That stadium can get pretty nuts.

When your team is terrible, you're not going to have nearly the same effect. There were a lot of games during that stretch where 30-40K was all that was there despite a sellout. It was somewhat embarrassing that they even mentioned it was a sellout. That's not an advantage at that point. Hence the reason Clark Hunt dumped the franchise on its head in the off-season.

There won't be an empty seat on Sunday and it's the home opener. Dallas will get the full Arrowhead experience.

cartman 09-12-2013 10:28 AM

"We're a team coming off of a 2-14 season, with a new coach who got fired last year after going 4-12, and we're playing a team that went 8-8 last year. LET'S GET LOUD"

spleen1015 09-12-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 2854013)
"We're a team coming off of a 2-14 season, with a new coach who got fired last year after going 4-12, and we're playing a team that went 8-8 last year. LET'S GET LOUD"

I hope the stadium announcer breaks this out right before kickoff!

mckerney 09-12-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen1015 (Post 2854020)
I hope the stadium announcer breaks this out right before kickoff!

Either that or have a big ceremony before the game for Todd Blackledge, celebrating that he's the last QB drafted by the Chiefs to win a game for them. That would probably get the fans excited.