View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 09:33 AM   #917
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Documentary - Maxed Out 7.0/10.0

Very well done documentary about the credit in this country, the spending, and the collections. It covers everything from the government to the collections people and the victims of buzzard-like mortgage companies who go to poor communities and peddle horrible mortgages to the uneducated. My only complaint is the font they chose for some of the info. cuts, I had to squint to sometimes read it. I recommend this move.

I just saw this last night. I'd give it a 6/10.

It's definitely worth seeing. It's criminal what the credit card companies do and how they prey on the the poor and desperate. The information is conveyed in an entertaining way and it's something everyone should know about.

My biggest complaint with the documentary was that they had not one, not two, but three stories about people who commited suicide because of all the credit card debt they had accumulated. That was just a bit too much, I think. They could have and did make the point that credit card companies are ruthless and take advantage of people and push them over the edge, without having to resort to maudlin displays, which it did.

The Harvard professor, who is interviewed throughout the movie, was on NPR a few months ago. She goes over a lot of the same stuff, but it was definitely worth a listen as well.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote