View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #122
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Team Awards:

Offensive Player of the Year - OG Solomon Page. This was a down year for our offense. No one was particularly good. No receiver or back had 1000+ yards, no blocker had 30+ KRB, no QB threw for over 3000+ yards. No one excelled. Therefore, I am giving this award to Page. He led the team in KRB, he led the team in % KRB out of KRO, and he only allowed 3 sacks all season long. There were 32 sacks allowed, and he accounted for just 10% of the sacks. This combination of good run blocking and good pass blocking makes him my choice for OPotY.
Defensive Player of the Year - DE Phil Lee. I know is it hard to discount a guy who won DPotY for the entire league for this award. However, we always have a great secondary year in and year out. Without Darius, Flowers till had 8 picks and Huntley had six. We would have still been in games. Without Phil Lee, however, we would have had, by far, the worst pass rushing game in the league. We had problems with rushing the passer in years past, and although a fresh D Line was brought in, some did not have stats that met our expectations, but Phil did. He single-handedly put the fear of Phil Lee into opposing quarterbacks.
Special Teams Player of the Year - CB Don Fitzgerald. It is hard to argue with success. Best KR average in the league despite not having a TD (which inflates averages). 2nd Best PR average in the league. PR TD to add to his numbers. He is a difference maker.
Rookie of the Year - QB Tony Clements - We had starters in a lot of areas, but none had the pressure Tony had. None were just amazing successes. Tony had moments of brilliance, and considering how green he is, this was a great year for him, and for us as a team in moving on from our previous QB.
Heart Award - S Lethon Flowers - Usually this award goes to a overachiever on t he bench who steps in and doe swell or that fourth string WR who catches way more TDs then they should have, etc. However, Flowers’s skills as a safety have atrophied over the last few years. I would not be surprised to see him retire next year. And despite swiftly dropping skills, he still has a great year, leading the team and league in picks, running two backs for scores, and leading the team in passes defensed. Flowers has done a great job this year stepping up and I am glad to have him!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote