View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #46
muns
Pro Starter

I love it, and that Folks is another reason why this league is so cool. Alan is the winnest guy in FOOL history and we dont see eye to eye all the time on stuff

I give Luke Crawford all of his dues like you said how many SS do we have in the HOF, but I wouldnt have spent 11 mil on him. A guy that gets over 10 mil for me better be in the running of MVP every year. Sure Luke Crawford won it once, but that was becuase everybody and their mom had an off year that year inclduing the guy that won the award his fair shre during that ERA in 3b- and hall of famer Dave Mcgill. Thats where Alan and I disagree team building wise I guess. Also you have to keep in mind that Crawford could also steal a ton of bases along with putting his gold glove at shortstop.

I couldnt and still cant justify paying over 10 mil for a leadoff hitter that could play SS and thats what he was in my eyes. I can find cheaper leadoff hitters that would be worse but have almost the same effect. Heck HA had another leadoff hitter on his team at that point playing OF for him, and I forget his name at the moment which only made that move more puzzling in my eyes, but I also think that was part of the draw. Ha wanted everyone to get all up in a tizzy, and he got it.

I liked that you pulled out the Dave Long card Alan, however im going to say that you cant even count CHICO as yours. You were handcuffed, couldnt trade, and could only play the guys you drafted, and brought in through Free Agency.

The real Alan that isnt hand cuffed by his commish duties, would be doing smart deals all the time (when he could find them), and wasnt into signing guys for mega contracts that werent his own guys. So you had to go after dave longs with deals like that due to your situation in CHICO.
Thats all going off memory though, so dont yell at me too much if im wrong there

Im still trying to do my list otherwise id share my opinions on "D" and pitching as well, but this is an awfully fun discussion.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote