View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #24
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Yeah, I was going off of Sack's posting. He said the readings from speedtest.net from his PC were higher when the PS3 was on. That leads me to believe the PS3 is doing some sort of multicast or broadcast on the local network. The only way to tell is to use a sniffer, such as Wireshark, and see what's going out on the wire.

Without knowing what else is going on for his network, the drop in speed could have simply been due to other resources on the network eating up bandwidth. (Perhaps the PS3 was downloading something, or some other system was). I actually have found when using higher levels of broadband, if you use the wrong speed test type, it will give you widely varying results due to the inaccuracy of the test.

Obviously if you get something back like 300k like Sun Tzu was, there is something wrong, but when talking about 10+ Mbps, I'm not sure how accurate some of the online speed tests are even.

Some of the java based ones seem to be pretty good, but I guess I didn't read too much into Sack's post as anything other than expected behavior.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote