View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 01:59 AM   #307
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

The #5 ranked Rambling Wreck headed to Death Valley for the latest installment of this storied rivalry. It didn't take the Tigers long to get their fans fired up as HB Ellington was the focal point of a long drive and he ended it with a brilliant 43-yard scamper to paydirt.

On the ensuing kickoff the Tigers thought they had their 2nd score of the game when they forced a fumble, picked it up and crossed the goal line yet again. But after a review initiated by Georgia Tech's head coach the call was reversed and the Yellow Jackets were very relieved. Unfortunately they couldn't put anything together on offense and before the end of the first they found themselves down by 10 after Clemson added a FG.

The 2nd quarter would be a better one for GT as they managed to put a couple of big plays together including a long reception by WR Hill and an electric 45-yard sprint by Nesbitt that would put the Yellow Jackets on the board. But the 3-point deficit wouldn't last long as the Tigers were able to capitalize on a blown coverage and hit a wide open receiver in the endzone to put their lead back to 10 heading into halftime.

The Yellow Jackets made some adjustments on defense and were finally able to put the clamps down on Ellington. Then, Nesbitt ran it in from 27 yards out for his 2nd TD run of the day after a long drive that included contributions from both RBs, Jones and Peeples. So heading into the fourth quarter the Tigers were on top by 3.

Georgia Tech continued to play solid defense and even managed to string together a pretty solid drive but a fumble by Jones all but sealed their fate with just over 3 minutes to go. Ellington scored his 2nd TD of the day and made it a two score game with only a few minutes left. While the Yellow Jackets were able to move the ball down the field they just ran out of time.

The Tigers win at home, 24-14, but in the waning moments of the game when the Tigers should've been kneeling down Ellington ripped off a very long run and that set off the Georgia Tech sideline. You can bet that the next time they meet there will be some form of retribution.

Boy, that was a tough one. Fumbles, fumbles, fumbles...too many fumbles. One of them was my fault as I was trying to get a throw off before getting run over by 3 guys but the other 3 happened when I had both hands on covering the ball so I guess I just have to chalk those up to bad luck as I did everything I could do. We had a tough time running the option on these guys, for the most part, as they were able to beat blocks or else they were fast enough to catch Nesbitt from behind.

We couldn't get enough pressure on their QB and when they went to the hurry up our LBs seemed to always be out of position leaving the middle of the field wide open for an easy first down via the run or pass...annoying!! I need to learn how to use all the shifts and other pre-snap stuff much better...especially on defense.

And the fumble on the kickoff was so obvious that it was after my guy was down that I couldn't believe they weren't going to review themselves. Good thing I remember seeing the "Challenge" option at one time or another...sheesh.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 12-06-2010 at 02:07 AM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote