View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 02:40 AM   #537
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
I feel a bit meh about the Arsenal deals. It just feels (a) like panic buys and (b) settling for 2nd choice (or even 3rd choice) for some of the purchases. And once again, the club makes a nice big profit on the sale of players.

Arteta is basically Cesc lite, just older. Hopefully he can play at the high level he used to be able to reach but this signing was probably my favourite of the lot.

Benayoun is meh in my opinion. It's never a good thing when your supposed title rivals are prepared to loan you one of their players. Indicates there simply isn't much there anymore (or that you're no longer a rival). I think he''ll have some good games but he's a squad player at best.

Santos is an unknown to me. Everything I've read indicates he's an offensive player rather than a real leftback. Not sure how that's going to pan out.

Per is a solid signing if (a) he hasn't lost it and (b) his lack of pace isn't terribly exposed. There was an article which showed how his match ratings in the Bundesliga have steadily been declining for the past 4 years ... that's not a good sign. I want to hope for the best here but I just don't know if he will be able to hack it in the PL.

Park is a 2 year stopgap. He will be a good rotation player but not a star.

I think Arsenal have signed enough quality to ensure they will be around 4th or 5th place at the end of the year but there just didn't seem to be much ambition in terms of trying for more. Maybe that's the reality of the PL now.

I think that's EXACTLY what they did. Get enough to get 4th or 5th and then go from there. I think even more important than getting the players is the fact it gives the young guys some leadership and everyone (including Arshavin, Walcott, Gibbs and Ramsey) are going to have to fight for their places in the lineup. Lets face it, last week against the Red Devils, if you were healthy and not suspended, you played. Even if we had all of our health and no suspensions, the first 11 were essentially set in stone.

It looks like yet another trophyless year, but I at least like some of the kids and think if they develop them this year, next year could be a whole lot better. Szcez, Frimpong, Myachi, Chamberlain, and Wilshire are all kids. See which of them step up this year, see which of the added vets makes a difference and then we just have to pray next summer they finally open the checkbook and get some guys who are made for the system. (Eden Hazzard comes to mind fairly quickly)

If they don't, then we are looking at a battle for 4th to 7th every year and can forget about being consistent challengers.

If that's the case, we'll at least always have the invincibles. lol
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote