View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #734
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Anyone else having trouble of what to make of all the concussions now?

Are teams/players just being more cautious now in reporting and sitting out games?

It's really scary, and quite frankly I don't know what to make of it. Star players are dropping like flies, which just cannot go on. The Crosby situation is terribly sad, but if something good can come out of it hopefully it's that this epidemic is dealt with faster than it otherwise would be.

As for solutions, that's where it gets tough. I was discussing it with some co-workers the other day and we all kind of agreed that the first place to start is likely equipment. Get rid of the hard-plastic upper-body gear. I'd also get rid of composite sticks to lower the speed of pucks (and get rid of all the breaking sticks, but that's not a safety issue), although I don't see that one actually happening.

After equipment, I guess you look at lengthening suspensions even more. Make guys not just think twice, but about 5 times, before they make any kind of hit that might be questionable. Give Malkin 5 games for trying to chicken-wing Giroux even though he didn't connect (see video above). Make a blatant hit from behind worth 20 games, 30 games, heck 40 games. Hit these guys' pockets super hard.

And of course, get rid of fighting.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote