View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #30
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The truly 1-and-dones only go to college because it's a means to an end - getting to the NBA - not because they really have anything to gain from the college basketball experience.

Football seems to me to be the only sport I can think of where age/physical maturity really matters, such that there is a general need for that interim step between high school and pros. High school kids can compete in pro basketball. They can compete in nearly every other pro sport. Football is different. If it's not college, then it would be some sort of minor league/pro affiliation as an interim step to the NFL. Sure, on a case by case basis some kids would be ready for the NFL, but the vast majority are not physicially ready for it.

Basketball tries to make that argument, I guess, but fails miserably. In fact, the argument only exists to try to protect the institution of college basketball because ... it makes tons of money and has to be preserved. Which goes back to my original point.
Right. In the end, if you banned college football, I'm quite sure the upshot would be that millions of dollars would get siphoned out of the university system into the pockets of the 1%ers who'd set up whatever minor league system took its place.