Thread: Gay Marriage
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #61
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I'm totally opposed to disconnecting government from marriage. That hurts not just gay people, but also straight people who want to be married, but don't want to go through the church. Like it or not, marriage is not just a religious institution, but a secular social institution. The term has importance for more than just religious people.

I'm also opposed to a separate status for gay and straight couples. Legal marriage for gay couples doesn't infringe on anyone's religious rights. You can still go to church, listen to your pastor attack gay marriage, read your bible, etc. There is no tangible way it harms religion. The Catholic Church already has a different definition of marriage than the government, as they don't allow divorced people to get married. The government allowing divorced people to get married hasn't resulted in the Catholic church being forced to do anything different.

How about we just keep the same system, allow same sex couples to get legally married, not force churches to do anything different, and everyone against gay marriage can go about their business because it won't change their lives one bit, as has been in the case in every state where same sex marriage has been legalized?

Makes complete sense to me. That's why it will never happen.

EDIT - I shouldn't say never because it will one day.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 01-23-2013 at 02:28 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote