View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #144
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Overall i see this as a base and code cleaning to be able to release better games in the future, and maybe too influenced by some old hardcore players like Ben and others (no offense for name calling i hope, not saying anything bad) that share same vision about FOF and text sims in general than Jim, and that are more into studding how the game engine works at the cost of immersion, that want total stats accuracy without any "distraction" around it, and also about the competitive MP environment than about roleplaying being a coach/gm in SP that other text sim fans prefer (like me, that is why i always comeback to FM).
I don't see anything on the changes list that talks about stats accuracy, and fwiw, I'm more into SP than MP if the AI is good enough. And I'm (obviously) very big into the reporting side and want coach/GM features in SP as well. I know it wasn't intended to be malicious or anything, but it's worth saying that your comments are quite inaccurate. To be clear, I don't necessarily *want* to play FOF the way I play it when I go all-out in a MP league. However, I'm far more interested in winning than in being true to a particular style of play. It's what works. It's the way FOF is designed. I play entirely differently in SP.

The truth of the matter is that I (along with several other "hardcore FOF veteran" types, I suspect) would *greatly* prefer that Jim go more the HeavyReign route. I enjoy FOF, so I *want* him to have a prettier interface that's still functional like FBCB2. Clearly if he does, it'll attract some dummies who wouldn't enjoy FOF but will throw $35 at Jim on an impulse purchase, play the game for two weeks or less, then never play it again. I'm all for him getting some money from those types to help make sure that FOF sticks around.

That said, I think the difference is that I--and quite a few others--have accepted the reality of what sort of game Jim is going to create, and aren't expecting anything else. I mean, we're talking 15 years now and running and JG hasn't really changed his stance on most of the issues about which people are still banging their heads against walls. Definition of insanity and all that...

There's far less disappointment when you accept Jim and FOF for what they are. I believe I said it earlier in this thread, but if you take a step back and look at the history, it's frankly some combination of comical/sad/shocking that people had any level of hope/expectation--enough to be disappointed when it didn't happen--of some of the stuff people seem to be very disappointed about.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-02-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote