View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 07:39 AM   #2555
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Great. Have any of the "All Lives Matter" folks been out there protesting police shootings of your Castiles and Rices because "all lives matter"?

Or have they been sitting at home bitching about how "Black Lives Matter" protesters won't take up the mantle of White lives while they're at it?

If the "All Lives Matter" crowd were serious about "coming together," then they would be right there marching in lockstep demanding accountability when excessive force is used. Instead, they're not protesting excessive force.

They're counter-protesting "Black Lives Matter" because their feelings are hurt over the Black community taking greater exception to Black people being killed by police than to White people (because, y'know, White folk had to worry about extrajudicial killings for about a century there after the civil war, so whites are ABSOLUTELY a vulnerable group who need someone to speak up for them.).

But what if you take a look at it from the other side. If the objective is to increase awareness, then increased participation and support helps your objective.

When your name is Black Lives Matter, the random middle age caucasian soccer mom (and Im talking about a promoter here never mind a detractor) reads your cause and says "yes black lives DO matter. But Im not black, this isnt my cross to carry. I hope they get justice. Lets go to Starbucks in our BMW"

If you name it Civilian Lives Matter, or Citizens Against Excessive Police Brutality or...whatever then your cause is more prominent and reaches more people.

To me the name in and of itself is divisive and counter productive to the cause. And again I am a sympathizer, I am one who frequently speaks out against unjust police activity. You want me and my position on your side. Forget Jon you never get him. And I say that with no malice, he is a pure detractor you dont market and convert pure detractors in the funding and establishing stage of growth.

I think many people read the name Black Lives Matter and inherently hear a 'more' at the end. If those people arent familiar with the intent of the the message may be lost before it is even spoken.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote