View Single Post
Old 11-17-2016, 10:58 PM   #30
Izulde
Head Coach

Cheddar Cheesemen

Of course, a Wisconsin native is the perfect fit for this team! The town itself is small - just over 5,700 people. But unlike Burgess Hill, whose area featured a ton of competition, this is the only game in town. Still a poorly supported club - just 7 season tickets sold. Average attendance of 66, though, so some people do show up.

There's only a handful of youth players signed to non-contracts. Evidently no one wants to commit here. It's a seaside town with summer temperatures averaging just below 70, and winter temps in the mid-30s. There's 20 days a year without sunshine. Quite a change from Vegas in a lot of ways.

OTOH, there's an excellent high school here - The Kings of Wessex Academy, and though only one cheddar producer remains (Yep, the cheese is named for this village), it's also a well-known strawberry producer. So at least I'll eat well.

The roster is mostly trash, though I love the look of ST Tate Sheppard, a 17 year old with 10 Finishing and 15 Flair. He's sucked so far, but I think he's been misused, and will be a perfect fit for my Poacher role. There's a ton of gray guys here, so I'll just quickly summarize my first game until we get some of my own players in here (Hint: A Burgess Hills Rhinos raid is coming.

Cheddar plays in the Western League Division One, and they're somehow 6th midway through the season. Top two teams promote and there's no relegation due to not being of the Sussex tree the Level 23 is based on. They're 5 or 6 levels below the Vanarama North/South, so Level 10 or 11 - something like that. Huge jump up.

vs Keynsham Town (13th)
So much gray in the lineup.

34 - Expected. 0-1

43 - Paul Ward, the team captain playing the CM Support role, passes to Cameron Friend, who is an ideal Defensive Forward, and the feed to Sheppard sees the guy I like most on the team score just his second goal of the year. Like I said, clearly mis-used with a 6.22 average rating coming into this one. 1-1

55 - Ward is showing good passing skills this game, and he wings out to Lee Brindley, the DL who has been playing as shit as his prior performances suggest. But this cross to the far post finds Sheppard for a sizzling second goal. 2-1

84 - Oliver Prior, the only signed player not in the lineup, replaces Friend and becomes a Target Man - support.

88 - Are you fucking kidding me?! A fluke goal this late?! 2-2

We could have moved up if not for that bullshit, but I'll take the draw, even though we drop to 7th. Hard luck there. 10+ hours for Tate Sheppard before this goal fest, and he was obvious PotM with 8.8.

Transfer In - DLC Lee Craig (29)
I've been snubbed by every single Burgess Hills Rhino, so I start going after free agents. First up is this veteran with every single Physical attribute 10 or higher. 13 Teamwork, too. Capable of playing at the next level.

Transfer In - DRL/WBLR Curtis Burrows (20)
Capable of playing four defensive spots, and will really address our weakness at DR, which is what cost us the win last game - the gray guy had a 6.1. Will possibly result in our doing a mirror of my old Flynn Tarman formation, since WBR is his best spot. I think he can be a MR as well with training.

Transfer In - DR Luke Jenas (19)
Good mental attributes. Not a standout player in my estimation, but good enough for the next level up as well according to our shit scout.

Transfer In - ML/WBL/DL/AML Connor Leek (20)
Very versatile in that he's able to line up anywhere on the left side of the pitch. A physical specimen who is both fast and strong.

@ Witheridge (6th)
G: Richie McGuiness
D: Lee Brindley/Lee Craig/Archie Gritt/Luke Jenas
WBR: Curtis Burrows
M: Gray Guy/Paul Ward
AML: Connor Leek
ST: Cameron Friend/Tate Sheppard

So what we have here is a 5-2-3 WB Asymmetrical - AML. Not quite what we did with Flynn Tarman, but hey. At least we've massively improved the talent level on this squad with the rash of signings - some quite cheap.

7 - Hang on to the fucking ball when you get it back, Gritt! 0-1

54 - Prior for Friend; Lee Gough, another youth signing, for Gritt

75 - Ward wings out to Brindley and upon the cross, Sheppard makes a dazzling slide tackle shot into the net!!!! 1-1

Another tough draw. So frustrating, because I feel like we could have easily had 6 points out of these matches rather than just 2.

Transfer In - MC Sam Higgins (18)
Sorely needed talented central midfielder. 12 Passing, 11 First Touch, Technique, Vision, Work Rate, and 15 Teamwork. I predict he'll have a Mason Hirst-style effect on the squad.

Transfer In - GK Gareth Rees (21) (Welsh)
Not the one I most wanted, (Dan Hutchins, I'm looking at you), but 11 Bravery, 10 Decisions, and just all around way better than what we had before.

Transfer In - DC Josh Graham (21) (Welsh)
Great all-around mental attributes and another piece to the puzzle of upgrading our backline.

Transfer In - ML/AML Adam Page (19)
He can also sort of play the right side. Nothing eye-popping about him, though I do like his 14 Teamwork and 10 Work Rate and solid all-around physical attributes.

Transfer In - MC/AMC Billy Frost (20)
This kid is just solid everywhere, and he's a technical attributes god for this level. The very first player I've signed all my shit coaches, who I didn't fire because $$$ are all like Yeah, this is a 1st Division capable guy right now.

I think we'll pretty much go with this crew for now. We still have $35k in the wage budget in case someone spectacular comes along, but I think we're good enough to get to where the board wants us to be at the end of the year.

@ Ashton & Blackwell United (13th)
G: Gareth Rees
D: Lee Brindley/Lee Craig/Josh Graham/Luke Jenas
M: Connor Leek/Billy Frost/Sam Higgins (no MR)

We had a match get postponed at home due to snow, so it's an away gig for what should be our setup for the rest of the year.

55 - Gritt for Graham; Prior for Friend to try and do something to break this stalemate.

A real shot to win towards the end, but Prior weak-sauced the shot. I firmly tell them off in the locker room afterwards - we should have been able to punch through here.

vs Roman Glass St. George (20th)
G: Gareth Rees
D: Lee Brindley/Archie Gritt/Josh Graham/Luke Jenas
M: Connor Leek/Paul Ward
AML: Adam Page

Short turnaround, as this was the snowed out match. Even given a ton of tired players, they played a few days ago as well, so we should be able to finally get a win against one of the league's worst teams.

11 - Zero effort made in defending that free kick.

12 - Ward longballs it into the box, and I think Sheppard's shot is going to go over.. but it thunders in off the top of the net!! 1-1

25 - WILL YOU FUCKING PLAY DEFENSE, YOU PISS-STAINS?! 1-2

37 - Rare good defensive play as Gritt intercepts and passes to Burrows for the long skim to Ward. He dribbles a bit and short passes to Sheppard in the half-circle. A fuck you strike goes home, and I'm still thrilled AF that I can say I turned that kid's season around. 2-2

Craig and Gough replace Gritt and Graham in defense. I am fucking sick of looking at the 5.9 by Graham.

70 - Gough intercepts and thunders a longball to Friend, who is all alone... and his fucking shot goes off the crossbar!

84 - Friend shot 1 - Post. Friend shot 2 - Post.

92 - Friend with the wide-open shot as time draws to a close... and HE FUCKING GETS BLOCKED!!!

"x Holds Out For Draw" "X Holds Out For Draw" Getting real fucking sick and tired of seeing that shit, even if we move back up to our original position of 6th. Worse yet, I didn't see a U-18 game in between this and our short rest game AGAIN coming up.

In other news, Burgess Hill Rhinos are still 2nd, now 4 points back after having suffered a loss since I left.

Kinda wish I hadn't, but if I manage to make uh.. cheddar... with Cheddar, it's all good.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote