View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 08:22 PM   #46
Izulde
Head Coach

Time to review the roster while we sort out who will stay and who will go.

Goalies
Gareth Rees (22) (Welsh) - 2.5/4.5
Richie McGuiness (18) - 0.5/3.5

Rees is one of the biggest wage earners, if not the biggest. While we might look for a cheaper option, he's performed well enough that I'm not particularly inclined to go find someone else. Personally, I don't care much about backup keepers, though we do have a lousy one.

Defenders - Left
Jon Beeden (26) - 2.5/2.5
Curtis Burrows (21) - 5 silver/3
Connor Leek (21) - 2.5 silver/1.5

Eventually, we're going to want an upgrade here. Beeden's only good enough for the next level and has no upside to speak of. Considering he's pulling $100 p/a, I wouldn't mind letting him go now if we can find someone with better upside.

Defenders - Center
Jerrome Sobers (31) (Dominican) - 3.5/3.5
Beeden - 0.5/0.5
Tom Rowbotham (24) - 0.5/3
Nathan Clark (16) - 0.5 silver/2
Jim Williams (17) - 0.5 silver/0.5

Sobers is still quite good, but we desperately need some quality backups here. Williams and Rowbotham will both be on the chopping block if better options can be found. You can see here why we switched to the 3-1-4-2 DM Wide as our primary formation late in the year.

Defenders - Right
Emmanuel Mensah (19) - 3.5/4
Burrows - 1.5/3

His short stint of poor form aside, Mensah is great, and someone I see sticking around long-term. He's got fine potential and will be able to contribute for at least a couple more levels.

Defensive Midfielders
Mark Reynolds - 2 silver/4
Williams - 0.5 silver/1.5
Will Todd (16) - 0.5 silver/2.5
Clark - 0.5 silver/3.5

Just a question of if we want to wait for these youth pulls to develop or not. A more immediate upgrade here would go a long way to stabilizing us in the Western Premier next year. More and more reason to cut Williams. Reynolds definitely outperformed his ratings this season.

Central Midfielders
George Colson (24) (Welsh) - 4/5
Billy Frost (21) - 3/4
Rowbotham - 0.5/2
Reynolds - 2 silver/4
Todd - 0.5 silver/2.5
Matt Smart (16) - 0.5 silver/3
Clark - 0.5 silver/3.5
Williams - 0.5 silver/1.5
Omarr Austin (18) - 0.5 silver/2.5

Lots of bodies here. Signing Colson and Frost to long-term, guaranteed contracts is absolutely critical, particularly Frost, who excels in our setup. Colson's our single most elite player on multiple levels, and one of those who could go farthest in the game (Southern Premier leading star - one step below Vanarama North/South)

Attacking Midfielder - Left
Gregg Crane (17) - 4.5 silver/4.5
Leek - 4.5 silver/3.5
Austin - 2 silver/4
Matt Price (16) - 0.5 silver/4

Same dilemma here as what we have at DM - wait for the kids to develop, or grab a more ready player in the offseason? Austin way outplays the rating, however, and was about to take over Crane's starting spot again.

Attacking Midfielder - Right
Liam Harris (20) - 4/4
Roy Horgan (23) - 0.5/0.5

Harris is a guy I'm not sure about. Ratings aren't great and he's prone to inconsistency. Wouldn't mind seeing someone else here, to be honest. Horgan was good initially, but then stunk.

Strikers
Carl Harris (18) - 3.5/4
Andrew Folan (24) - 1 /5
Crane - 2.5 silver/4
Leek - 1.5 silver/0.5
Aaron Gibson (18) - 1 silver/3
Owen Rawlins (17) - 1 silver/2.5
Wayne Howell (16) - 0.5 silver/3
Tate Sheppard (19) - 0.5 silver/1

Big question here is if Turncoat Folan will ever reach his potential. I'm a bit skeptical. Harris was the biggest offseason signing by far, and a kid who is quietly blossoming into a star. Like so many others, consistency is an issue. Things to think about here.

Initial report of wage budget for next season is $150k - almost double what we had before! This Cheddar board is serious about giving me the financial resources we need to succeed.

vs Westbury (11th)
G: Gareth Rees
D: Jon Beeden/Jerrome Sobers/Emmanuel Mensah
DM: Mark Reynolds
M: Billy Frost/George Colson
AM: Gregg Crane/Liam Harris
S: Carl Harris/Andrew Folan

Just before this game, we secured a free transfer of a player who will immediately bolster our DM position. Although it's on a non-contract rather than a secured deal, I thought it was better to snap him up now rather than wait for next year, when he might not be available.

55 - Colson out to Liam Harris for the perfectly placed pass into the box, just ahead of Folan to finally end his scoring drought! Todd and Austin replace Reynolds and Crane respectively. 1-0

[b]76/b] - That's the kind of flawlessly executed move there's no stopping. 1-1

85 - Here's Liam Harris running down the right flank, and here is putting another perfect ball to Folan in the box for the late go-ahead goal. 2-1

Andrew Folan naturally won PotM with his 8.8, although supporting was two 7.5s in George Colson and Jerrome Sobers. Nice way to end the season, getting revenge on a team that beat us last time, and locking up 80 points for the year.

Note: This doesn't include Billy Frost, whose average rating of 7.75 across all games would destroy the average rating boards.

Burgess Hill Rhinos ran roughshod over Mid Sussex Division Four, winning by like 20 points! Impressive work, and they're starting to do it more and more with their own players, rather than my guys.

Overall, we were better defensively than last season - a big reason we're going up. Jerrome Sobers was a huge addition, and as mentioned before, other than that slump of form, Emmanuel Mensah was a house. More evidence for Jon Beeden being upgraded, however.

Like I said, Billy Frost's stats are off, due to his break away from us. But we do see here that the staff is right - our team's success was built on our dominating central midfielders. I still rate Liam Harris above Roy Horgan based on this. What a hell of a season by Carl Harris, who plays defensive forward in our setup, yet racked up all the goals.

Sure enough, we receive notice that Billy Frost's 7.75 average rating smashes the old league record of 7.24. Beautiful, just beautiful. Incidentally, with that other team, he had just 6.47 in 10 games - probably used incorrectly there.

Favored Clubs - Cheddar
Richie McGuinness
Matt Price
Mark Reynolds
Tate Sheppard (Player)
Will Todd

Favored Personnel - Izulde Jestor
Matt Price
Tate Sheppard

Billy Frost got robbed here.

Lone holdout from old regime is Paul Ward, but he should be scrubbed off the list by the end of next season. Billy Frost's appearances have been correctly recorded, BTW.

End season team meeting is a disaster. The squad thinks they're good enough to be a top side next year, and I'm just like um... no.

Best Yearly Training
Gregg Crane
Owen Rawlins
Carl Harris
Will Todd
Matt Smart

Poor Yearly Training
Connor Leek

My name comes up in a shit ton of job openings, but only one appeals to me on first blush, and digging deeper into it, I'm just like nah - too big a jump and too much of a hassle to sort out.

...Or is it?

Loughborough University gets the treble, winning the Midand Football League Premier Division, the FA Vase, and the Midland Football League Cup.

Two very minimal increases in sponsorship deals that aren't worth it TBH.

The transfer revenue went down from 20% to 10 or 15% earlier in the year, then back up to 20% that I forgot to note, and now it's crashed down to just 5%.

Code:
Club Value: $1k (-$17k from last season!) Average Ticket Price: $8 Season Ticket Price: $128 Season Ticket Holders: 7 Average Attendance: 86 (Up 16 from last year) Loss: $17.7k (An improvement over the $20k losses last season) Bank Balance: - $32.2k

Transfer In: DM/MC Steven Gorman (16) - From Leicester Road
Youth pull for them last year with 11 passing, 13 tackling, 10 Teamwork and Vision, and 13 Work Rate. Also has solid all-around physical attributes and is primed to be a great player for us. New highest paid, too, sharing those honors with Gareth Rees ($140 p/a).

Word of my interview with a potential new job leaks out, and there's an article published talking about how though I hadn't previously expressed interest, I was considered a co-favorite to get the job at 3:1 odds on bookie boards, and after my interview, I'm the clear favorite at 5:4 odds.

That new club is paying way too much money for their mediocre staff at that level, but they offer a $60.54k compensation clause . Wow, we're talking serious money here! Ultimately, the staff is better than what we have now, so yeah, not gonna make any changes.

And then the job offer comes:

Wage Budget: $613k a year (Over 4x more than Cheddar!)
Transfer Budget: $26.54k (An actual transfer budget!)
Contract offer: 1 year, $20k

Hmm... those financials are tasty, but that feels like selling a little low on my wage, considering how big a jump I'm making, and already making double-digits here. I ask for $34k. They're willing to bump it up to $22.5k, which would be over double what I'm making at Cheddar.

Since I'm still not sure about this, let's push it to $26.5k. I really want to feel like I'm making a huge splash by signing, and if they reject it, no worr-

Wow. They agree. Shit. Now what? This is a HUGE opportunity in terms of resources. (The team also has good training facilities and a 4,100 seat stadium, with an average attendance of 1,096 last season). On the other hand, it's a major jump up, and Cheddar has been very good to me, and I love the team I'm building with the Cheesemen.

Going to go agonize over this one a while.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote