View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #199
kcchief19
Pro Starter

First, I literally laughed out loud at the commercials for Trump. Pure gold.

Second, guess I'm not the only one who passed on The Daily Show since Stewart left. I still watched/listened to the show online while working around the house, but not religiously and haven't watched hardly at all since the election.

Just astounding that the same franchise & network that made the move to bring in Stewart and later kept Stephen Colbert by giving him his own show would whiff three straight times in quick succession.

First whiff by not doing everything to keep John Oliver. Granted, it was unlucky timing that Colbert gets the Late Show gig just a few months after he left, but no reason Oliver couldn't have done Last Week at CC.

Second whiff was going with Larry Wilmore over Sam Bee. I actually liked Wilmore's show, but he wasn't a natural in the host role and the show was uneven as a result. With Oliver & Bee on their own shows, it's just a reminder to everyone that the TDS is no longer on the cutting edge.

The big whiff was going with Trevor Noah. Still not sure how a show built around topical American political humor goes with a standup comic who lived in the U.S. for only four years. Noah's just not built for the show, and the talent that has exited since Stewart left exacerbates the problem.

The weird thing is that I think TDS and @Midnight would be better shows if they traded hosts. Chris Hardwick is a better interviewer and much more experienced as a show host. @Midnight is a standup show, better suited for someone like Noah.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 02-13-2017 at 11:53 AM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote