View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
Umbrella
High School Varsity

1951-52 Syracuse Nationals

Winning the championship wasn't enough to save Washington, and they contract. In the dispersal draft, we pick second, and get star PF Harry Gallatin. He is on his last year, so we need to re-sign him at any cost. In the rookie draft, Milwaukee selects C Charlie Share first overall. With the second pick, we take SF Neil Johnston out of Ohio St. With back to back picks to start the second round, we take PG Jake Fendley out of Northwestern, and SF Elmer Behnke out of Bradley.

In free agency, we are over the cap, so I will remain silent. With the adddition of Gallatin though, Nichols becomes a luxury, so I trade him to Philly for C Connie Simmons. Our backcourt doesn't look great, but our frontcourt looks solid. Since I made this trade, I decline the team option on C Don Otten.

Our starting lineup will be Gallatin, Simmons, Johnston, Sharmin, and Smawley. The starting lineup is pretty good, but our depth is horrible. We go 2-4 in the preseason. We start the season relatively healthy, and fly out of the gates at 11-1 behind Gallatin, who wins player of the month. Gallatin continues to dominate in December, winning player of the month again. Neil Johsotn wins rookie of the month, and we finish December 20-4. Unfortunately, we don't have any money, so I cannot sign Gallatin to an extension.

Gallatin and Johnston win player and rookie of the month respectively for January, and we sit at 33-6 at the All Star break. Sharmin, Johnston, and Gallatin all get selected for the game. Johnston wins rookie of the month for February as well. Almost all of the games in March are on the road, but the team continues to play great, and we sit at 47-11 going into the home stretch. We have the #1 seed in the playoffs all but locked up.

We finish the season 53-13, the second best record in league history. The awards poured in. Sharmin (25.5/5.3/2.3) was All Defense 1st team, defensive player of the year, and All NBA 1st team. Johnston (13.6/10.9/2.9)was All Defense 2nd team, All Rookie 1st team, All NBA 2nd team, and Rookie of the Year. Simmons (10.1/8.2/1.5) was All Defense 1st team. Gallatin (22.4/14.9/2.2) was All Defense 2nd team, all NBA 2nd team(?), and won MVP. Sharmin was 2nd in the league in scoring and steals, Gallatin led the league in rebounding and was second in blocks, Johnston was 5th in assists, and Simmons was fourth in blocks. In addition, I won my first GM of the year award.

We watched Boston beat Philly in the first round of the playoffs. We won the first pretty easily, 85-73. Game 2 wasn't much better for them, as we won 90-78. Game 3 in Boston was a little closer, but we took care of business 96-88. Boston was the more desparate team, avoiding the sweep in a 95-82 win. We were able to complete the series at home 89-82.

Our opponent in the finals was Milwaukee. The two worst teams from the previous season were playing for a championship. We crushed them in game 1, 93-75. Game 2 was a shocking upset, 93-82. We fell behind two games to won, losing 91-83. The series got evened up in game 4 with an easy 95-79 win. Game 5 was still in Milwaukee, and we were heading back to Syracuse with a loss, 90-83. Home cooking served us well, as we won game 6 90-70, forcing the first game 7 in finals history. The game didn't live up to the hype, as we won a laugher 107-71, winning the first championship for Syracuse, and my first championship as well. Harry Gallatin won playoffs MVP. If this is his last year with us, he went out with style.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote