View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 07:18 PM   #77
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Reds vs Pinks:

Reds lose another one. 7-14. The Reds have a stellar defense, but the offense just can't sustain a drive and punch it in. The Pinks are generally pretty bad, so I was really trying to figure out what's wrong with the Reds. Obviously the team speed is an issue, but we can't run the ball, either. In fact, the Pinks had more success running against the elite Reds defense than the Reds could get going against either the Pinks or Purples. (both pretty bad teams)

Thanks to the new depth chart feature, I was able to figure it out! I shuffled the OL around a few times until i started getting some success on the ground. The difference was power. I've never been looking at power before, but now I'm seeing it in the depth chart screen, and it makes a big difference. 2 of the top 3 OL for the Reds have a 1 power rating. Most of the top DL/OL are in the 7-9 range. That's a huge difference. We're getting no push at all, and my line is getting pushed back. They are also getting pushed back into the pocket on passing plays, which is killing my scrambling.

wow. As it turns out, your line needs to be strong!

Well, it also helps to have a QB that can get the ball in the same zip code as the WR. All of the Pinks points were on turnovers. The first TD was on a interception return for TD. The second was an Int that was returned to the 7 or 8, and then punched in a couple plays later.

One other thing that happened in this game is that I started relying on some of the other plays that I'd been ignoring. With no downfield passing game, I started running a passing play that has the RB swing out of the backfield. I almost never run this play because most of the time the RB catches the ball and gets tackled behind the line. However, with the Reds, there aren't many other options. It actually made some positive yardage. It was interesting to be forced into adjusting my play calling, and then to see it start working.

Almost like a real game!

3 games left! All between the Purples, Pinks, and Yellows.

All 3 teams have a shot at the championship. The Greens have locked up the top spot by going 5-0. The Blues have finished all their games and are 3-2. The Purples are 1-1 with the Pinks and Yellows at 1-2.

The tiebreaker is going to be point differential. The Pinks and Yellows are fairly negative right now. It looks like the Purples are going to be the favorite on the strength of the 42-21 win over the Blues in week 8.

A Purples vs Greens rematch would be fun! That was a close one last time.