View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #172
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Weapons Reference in the OP updated. New weapons now available:

** Henry Repeating Rifle -- Expensive and for now extremely rare, not enough of them to be put to any practical use.
** Many of the more speciality weapons have increased numbers somewhat, but not enough to really be useful.
** Farmers/Re-bored Farmers -- We captured enough at Shiloh that we should be able to outfit multiple infantry brigades with them should expenses dictate that. Obviously that is not a preferred solution, but it may be necessary at least on a temporary basis as several new infantry units will be required.

All in all, not a lot of changes and I would speculate it will remain that way for a bit given the short and relatively compressed time-period of our current campaign.

I also did one real obvious thing, putting Ulysses Grant in charge of III Corps. He's our highest-ranking general right now, even above Stewart(Major General, ** instead of Brigadier General, *). That means two perks for him. The RNG falls on Trainer(+10% XP) and Cavalry Specialization(+5 Melee, +5 Firearms, +10% Charge Bonus). At the MG level they are all unit type specializations, other two being Artillery and Infantry of course. So that's some new info. Naturally, we'll be looking at adding horsemen to as many of his divisions as possible.

I also replaced the commanders where needed. Lt. Col. Wade Scales is healthy again and has his artillery unit back. Two II Corps commanders, Col. Kirk(infantry) and Cpt. Root(artillery) are back with their previous units. The only other officer with experience in this war, Lt. Col. Tom Trimble, moves from Scales' artillery, also in I Corps Wagner(1st) Division, to the elite(by our standards) infantry unit that Kelly Walton led until his unfortunate demise in the early hours on April 6 at Shiloh. Keeps him in the same division, and an experienced man heading such a unit made sense to me.

Officer Synopsis

This seemed useful to me given that we've got more of them in the Barracks now, we're going to need more, etc.

Generals -- Required rank for Corps Command. We need three, and have five. Stewart, Heintzelman, and Grant in charge of the Corps, while Hugh Lawton got the remarkable 3-rank promotion after his men lost half their strength but took over 1400 rebels with them at Shiloh. I'm still very surprised that he got so much more than others did, but he was involved heavily both days. Either way, we don't have a Corps command for him but he'll definitely be getting the first division of III Corps. I can't actually give him a perk until he gets his own Corps, which he would seem to be in line for eventually. Duane Ferrero of Loomis's Division got similar treatment and will get another division. We're quite oversupplied here.

Colonels -- Required for Division Command. With Lawton and Ferrero each taking one division, we need seven of these to fill out all Corps with division commanders, but won't have enough officers to do that. We have 12, a full dozen, so we're doing just fine and half of them will remain at brigade level. With no open division commands available, they'll just have to wait their turn.

Others -- We need another 20 total officers to fill out three Corps completely. We have 18 available. Some are unquestionably going to get injured in the process. This means that III Corps is not going to be able to be filled up. We'll have one full division there and one partial, leaving a few Colonels in the Barracks still without jobs as backup options in case somebody gets wounded or killed.

Given the situation, that we don't have enough officers to fill out the Army right now, never mind any expansions, it's safe to say that we have sufficient Organization for what we can do during this campaign.

Army-Level Choices

1. Emphasis continues to be a slight bias towards Vets. Sheer Manpower, Weapons, or a Balanced approach are the other options.

2. Reputation Investment -- We are 49 which confers a +3 bonus to Morale for all units. "Your fame is growing and the soliders under you have increased morale. The Government is very supportive to your efforts". How wonderful.

** $100k cash(18 Rep.)
** 5k recruits(18 Rep.)
** 2k Springfield M1855(10 Rep.)
** 1.75k Harpers Ferry M1855(7 Rep.)
** 6 20pdr Parrot(6 Rep.)
** BG John Sedgwick(4 Rep.)
** BG Joseph Hooker(4 Rep.)

We never have a problem with having enough recruits, at least not yet, and have no need of further generals as we have two to 'spare'. However, the others are worth possibly considering.

3. Weapon Sales

The Armory reports the following availability:

** 5411 Farmer @ $4
** 4278 Re-Bored Farmer @ $5
** 3384 Springfield M1842 @ $5
** 328 Lorenz @ $11
** 634 Springfield M1855 @ $634
** 214 Hunter @ $10
** 256 Sharps Model 1855 @ $17
** 31 Smith @ $26
** 34 Sawed-Off @ $6
** 313 Cook & Brother @ $9