View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #189
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Camp Results

** Supply Matters -- Starting now I'm projecting supply needs on a per-soldier basis to avoid further shortages ... or at least ones as severe as we dealt with at Shiloh. Last time I had about one supply point per soldier. Given how woefully inadequate that was, I'll up it to three per and see how things go.

** Reputation -- There was a consensus for investing in better rifles, so I got both types. That drops us from 49 to 32 in Rep, but also gives us almost four thousand rifles that would have cost $120k in cash to purchase on our own. Given that this is almost half what we have to spend, that would obviously have been prohibitively expensive.

I Corps, Wagner's Division

Race's Brigade -- Marksman Training confirmed. Total of 1358.

Scales's Brigade -- The one veteran crew permitted is added, now at 16 guns.

I Corps, Durrell's Division

** Kemper -- 1016 men.
** Duryee -- 1167 men.
** Cavalry -- Col. Allen Birney, best available officer, took over for Preston here. That's both good and bad since he was also the most expensive. With a new commander there was no challenge to your training recommendation of Horseback Riding. 437 men.

Seymour's Brigade

Two rookie, four veteran crews to get back to 14 guns, a rare exception to the no-rookie rule. You received nearly double the standard allotment, but as mentioned you deserve it after past deferments. The captured guns from recent battles certainly helped as we didn't need to buy them at least.

I Corps, Loomis's Division

Moody and new 2nd brigade CO Col. Julian York followed your lead with Discipline training; A. Wright elected to go with the Endurance Course, claiming your hand-written orders were 'vague and misleading'. G. Wright's artillery went Logistics as requested also. As a result of this 'miscommunication', Col. Andy Wright was immediately reassigned to the III Corps where he'll have a General supervising him not just in Grant, but also Division CO BG Hugh Lawton. We'll see if he behaves himself there. The powers that be did not look favorably upon you(in other words, the RNG came up wanting), and all you were given for the new fresh infantry unit was the minimal help of Maj. Herbert Pease. There was only one lower-ranking officer in the pool. After all that, here's how things look:

** Moody -- The requisition for better rifles was approved for only one brigade(many qualifying units in II Corps also put in requests), and this is the more numerous one. There is a distinction to be proud of here; this is the first and right now only brigade to carry the Harpers' Ferry M1855 modified Springfield, which is slightly better than the standard version. As such, the men here will be the best-equipped around, even moreso than the more-skilled and experienced brigades in Wagner's Division. 296 men were also added, for a total of 1722.
** York -- More skilled that than the first brigade but lacking in numbers, they add 186 for a strength of 1215. York's men still carry the Springfield M1842.
** Pease. In the slightest of nods to the fact that you weren't exactly getting what you requested, Pease was given the Springfield M1842, better of than the Farmers variants given to most fresh infantry brigades. His command-efficiency limit dictated his numbers start at 1502 men. I discovered a bizarre trick here; if I create a brigade at 1000 and reinforce it to 1500, I get charged for the extra 500 men. No charge if you know how many you want when you create it. Shouldn't make any difference since the result is exactly the same, but for whatever reason it does.
** Wright's artillery -- you now only have one Wright, Gordon -- exceeded requests by adding two guns for a total of 17 now. I'm told he is said to have manipulated the new major into getting the last small bit of funding required transferred from the third brigade.

** Note: After the initial run-through, I realized there was enough money to buy the 1855 Springfields for one more small brigade, and York was definitely the most deserving, but we were a few thousand short of being able to buy enough for that many men(31k left, 38k price tag). So close, but no cigar. He's at the top of the list to get them in the future.

II Corps

** Col. John Hagood's men, first brigade under McCook in the first division here, are the second to recieve the requisitioned rifles; Springfield M1855s in this case. They are unquestionably the best among those with significant numbers in this Corps.

** A smaller unit in the second division also received the 1855 model Springfields; it would have been too expensive to supply another larger unit.

** Col. Darryl Egan, in the same division, is our newbie. They take the Endurance Course perk and are now up to 938 men(+239). The small size worked in their favor as there was just enough money at the end to give them an upgrade to the newer Springfields. That also occasioned a switch to the second division to keep things a little more balanced.

** Col. Norman Devin's cavalry upgrade to the Colt M1855, some of which we have captured so only a limited number needed to be purchased. His men have been judged good enough to merit the investment, which will allow a much faster firing rate.

** Tannatt's Brigade, in the 2nd Division under Liddell, has received Springfield M1842s. They've gained enough experience that it's an insult at this point to require them to use Farmer's muskets.

III Corps

Lt. Col. Bryan Baldwin has the Shock Cavalry of the 2nd Division here, under BG Duane Ferrero. Palmetto M1842s, the weapons recently liberated from Devin's command.

Summary

** In case you didn't wade through the whole rundown, collegesportsfanms is now Col. Darryl Egan(3rd brigade, 2nd division, II Corps) and tarcone is Lt. Col. Bryan Baldwin(3rd brigade, 2nd division, III Corps).

** I Corps -- 9728 soldiers. 9171 infantry, 1175 artillery(47 guns), 437 cavalry
** II Corps -- 9638 soldiers. 9256 infantry, 675 artillery(27 guns), 262 cavalry
** III Corps(NEW) -- 11,300 soldiers. 10,367 infantry, 200 artillery(8 guns), 813 cavalry.

Total: 30,666 soldiers. 28,794 infantry, 2050 artillery(82 guns), 1,512 cavalry.

III Corps is the biggest by numbers for a few reasons. More cavalry just because that's Grant's focus; that's also why, at least for now, they don't have much artillery. They actually have one fewer infantry brigade(six) than each of the other Corps do. The differnce is they are very big ones. The command-efficiency limit is more lenient there due to having Generals in command of a couple of divisions, there was no veteran penalty to worry about, and crap weapons are in pretty good supply(even mix of '42 Springfields and Farmer variants). Suffice to say that even with their numbers, I wouldn't take them in a fight against any of the other two. At least, not yet.

Whew. Used up all the barracks officers plus a pair of 'auto-generated' ones. It was a productive and fair camp but also complex and difficult to handle. I'm anxious to get back out on the battlefield now after all that figuring. We actually used up every last recruit this time, and have $1,110 left in the bank. The only weapons left in significant numbers in the Armory are the two Farmers musket types. Every single artillery and skirmisher weapon was used without exception, and almost all of the cavalry ones. We put out a 12pdr Howitzer unit, used up the Hunters we captured for a small group of skirmishers, etc. No stone was left unturned in using what we have available.

As always, feel free to ask any questions if something isn't clear.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-12-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote