View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 06:15 PM   #235
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM58 View Post
I'm not following your train of thought outside of ISPs are inherently evil actors.

Because they've been anti-consumer and anti-competition in nearly every imaginable way.

Google and local municipalities have tried creating legitimate competition for ISPs and the way they've fought that competition is to bog it down in lawsuits to either stall it or force them to give up.

Comcast and other cable companies have pushed people to look for ways to cut cable because of their prices and business tactics and now that they actually have legitimate competition they're losing about 6 million subscribers per year and going up every year. Rather than improve in the areas that forced people to look for alternatives their solution is to find new ways to monetize the service cord cutter are using.

Comcast initially claimed their data caps were because of network congestion. Then they backtracked and claimed it was about fairness. Their version of fairness is to set an arbitrary number and charge you exponentially more than the standard rate when you go over that number. Yet I'm not paying any less if I'm well below that number and it doesn't roll over to the next month.

Quote:
ISPs aren't going to block or bundle websites

I'll admit it's unlikely, but definitely not a guarantee. It is happening in other countries and as more and more people cut cable and they'll continue to look for new ways to monetize the services they have.

What is more likely is the internet fast lanes, which are already happening, are going to force more cost from Netflix, Hulu, Internet Gaming and other content providers onto consumers.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote