View Single Post
Old 05-03-2020, 04:36 AM   #349
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Not a good day today. Seven years to the day that I got the hired call for my company, my literal dream come true, I got the strongest signal yet that I'll be furloughed in October. The company announced bids today that result in a 30% reduction in staffing, effective the end of June. I sit at 71.2% company wide. There could be some early retirements, and guys who take voluntary leaves, but the company also said this is just the first round. So even if this one slips past me, the next one will not. I am simply numb today.

There are 3755 pilots between me and the back of the line, another 600 will retire in the next 18 months. But even with all that the numbers aren't there. They're talking about deeper cuts. Basically, whatever level of flying they can support, they'll cut to that level. So if it's half, they're prepared to dump half. More if necessary. That could take years and years to staff back up to where it was earlier this year. The company can only really train 1000 pilots a year off the street. Guys who were hired this year could be on the street who knows how long? I have no clue what's next.

Sorry to hear that PM.

Is the furlough scheme in the US similar to here, in that you are guaranteed a percentage of salary up, to a maximum level?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote