View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 03:08 PM   #173
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
What do the kids do that can't afford pay to play?

They would play rec ball although, given the prices of the rec leagues for baseball/softball, basketball, and soccer at least locally, that may not be an option for many either.

Quote:
I was at my 10yr (good athlete not hyper competitive) and 7 yr old (very good athlete, hates to lose, hyper competitive, and already a thinker while on the field) granddaughter's soccer games a couple of weeks ago, they play in the park and rec leagues. This is the Des Moines and surrounding towns area, not limited to small pool of players like the small town I'm from where my kids grew up playing. It was competitive, some girls were lost, others trying very hard. Nobody held back but, also, nobody (coaches or parents) were yelling at or about the lesser talented players. It seemed as if nothing had changed from my years coaching little\junior league baseball 20-30 yrs ago. I was actually impressed with the level of play for kids that young.

What you are describing here is the ideal experience. Especially that highlighted part. I wish that league stays that way for eternity. Here is the important question. Was anyone upset that one team did not take target the weaknesses of the kids who were lost?

Quote:
I think a large number of members here can afford the pay to play leagues. Comments come out "well there is pay to play" for those that want. However, some of us (me 20-30 yrs ago) could never afford such a thing. Yes, youth sports have been bastardized. Like many things the "haves" get theirs.

Most of the parents in the neighborhood I grew up in could not have afforded pay for play back then. Mine definitely could not. That meant that most kids were playing rec leagues. That is not the case at least for baseball and soccer today with basketball barely hanging on. For example, during my son's time in rec baseball, we went from 12 rec teams for the minors age group, 8 teams for the majors age group (think Little League World Series) to three teams for the Juniors age group. Most of the players that left are playing for travel ball teams. Most of the kids/parents that stayed or left and came back did so may or may not be able to afford it. Those that did and came back say that they came back to rec ball because the rec leagues had a different vibe when compared to travel ball. I think it is worth preserving that vibe if that is what they are looking for.

Quote:
To be clear I don't agree with the coach, in this example, taking over at third. Bad form taking advantage in the last inning. I have no problem if he's there all game playing that way, though a "one base on overthrow" rule at that age would be appropriate. But when it's thrown out "it's a rec league", as a "have not" I have to think "well that's too bad", it's the only league my child has as an option.

I agree with this. If it came across as me denigrating the rec leagues, that was not my intention at all. All I am saying is if there is a place for a "take advantage of everything in order to win in youth sports" approach (I'll let others make that call), the rec leagues of 2021 aren't that place IMO.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 09-20-2021 at 03:08 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote