View Single Post
Old 04-23-2022, 05:34 PM   #188
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So this is a new one for me. We're hosting a HS softball tournament this weekend and last night we played the #3 team in the state and last year's runner-up. Catcher is committed to Auburn and several girls play high level travel ball.

So before one of the girls hit, a parent (I assume) asked our announcers to announce her as "THE" Her Name. I mean, come the fuck on. They politely declined.

I told them I would have announced her as "A" Her Name.

This reminds me of the first tournament game my son played in. The "fans" of this 12U team he played against set up speakers on either side of the bleachers on their side of the field. They announced the lineup with the requisite stadium music prior to the game and announced each kid as he came up to bat. The lineup was complete with nicknames for each kid including one player who went by "The Stud". That's when I knew we were not in the Little League anymore.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote