View Single Post
Old 05-23-2022, 03:38 PM   #2595
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I think its perfectly reasonable to have the dual opinions that:

1) Kids should be able to be paid whatever the market will provide.
2) The current wild west is going to decrease my personal enjoyment of the sport.

Now, you can argue screw my opinion #2, but if it happens to enough people, whatever the market will provide will go down.

I agree. It will be interesting to see how this impacts the popularity of the sport. Once the season begins, it's fall, it's Saturday, the bands are playing, and all of that will all of this NIL and transfer portal stuff really matter?

There are really only a very small number of teams each year that seem to have any kind of legit shot at a National Championship and it tends to largely be the same small number of elite programs. I think NIL and the transfer portal won't change that all too much, but it may just shift which colleges make up that small number of elite schools.

All of a sudden you have potential power houses - at least in the near term - in USC and Texas A&M, neither of which has been in the national championship discussion in many, many years.

This will likely hurt Michigan. They don't seem to be too terribly onboard with this at the moment. Their current recruiting class is far from impressive.

I don't mind that chaos a bit and am interested to see how it all shakes out.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote