View Single Post
Old 10-28-2022, 11:48 AM   #19
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

A lot of what ails the claims side, generally speaking, is lack of knowledge/understanding of what policies provide for and difficulty selling insurance without getting too technical or being able to cover every issue/contingency in pre-sale conversations. People only have a general idea of what insurance should cover, and companies don't want to (or can't) explain every detail. It's a complex consumer product.

Having worked 7 years in insurance, some on the claims side, most on the repair portion, I can tell you this is 1000% true. If I had a nickel every time someone said "I have full coverage" I would have a shit ton of nickels. Everyone signs up because they have to have it, then when they need it have no clue about the product they bought,, they just assume it is covered. Everyone is sent a copy of the policy and no one reads it, so when your car gets repaired with used parts or after market they freak, even though it is right there is writing. Same goes for total loss evaluations ( not saying J is uninformed, just saying 99% of people are). It is also tough because most people only need it a few times in their life, but don't trust the people providing them the service when they do need it. I always treated people fairly, but you can only do so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Yeah, I was going to DOLA to say that ironically insurance is probably the most regulated industry and the one industry where if they don’t give you what they legally agreed to give you, not only can you sue the fuck out of them but they will also likely be sued by the DOI and get doubly hammered for it.

Absolutely. The hoops you have to go through to outright deny a claim are massive unless it is super cut and dry, even then there were hoops to jump thought.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote