View Single Post
Old 11-01-2022, 08:07 AM   #2
cuervo72
Head Coach

I don't believe my kids care about Twitter either, and they're both over 20. I know Discord and TikTok are in their mix. I'm not sure I get the randomness of TikTok, or the fact that it is mostly video. Not something I need. (Now, I understand there are some videos out there of the "do a little jump, now WHOOPS I'm naked!" variety. These are amusing in their way, but I figure you can see that sort of thing elsewhere outside the app.)

So, I want to read things from Twitter. It's become my latest aggregator, after Netvibes, then Facebook, then Google News. Facebook just became too much crap -- aunts posting gluts of "you're this old if you remember this" and puppy pictures and Jesus sayings; ex-coworkers posting hippie chick, witch/bitch, sparkly rock gifs; HS classmates hawking diet schemes. Oh, and ads. Too many ads. A lot of them, oddly, for women's underwear. Which is not something I ever buy (for me or anyone else) though I do get the visual appeal of the marketing.

Google News was better, but still gave me a little too much Fox-oriented content, and didn't seem fast enough.

So a few months ago I broke down and started a Twitter account. It was pretty nice -- I could follow news outlets, sports outlets, People/Billboard to cover pop culture trivia holes (though People is a little too much of 90 Day Fiancee and LOOK HOW GROWN UP 9 YEAR OLD CHILD OF CELEBRITY IS" and "ALL THE QUESTIONS YOU HAD ABOUT THIS CELEBRITY'S FAMILY"; seriously, who the fuck cares? Billboard is better, it lets me know of things like Super Freaky Girl and that Takeoff was shot and killed.). Also I can follow celeb packs like Gail Simone, Diedrich Bader, Michael McKean, John Scalzi, etc.* or get daily mass postings of art from Jack Kirby and Alex Ross, or stuff like the Super 70s Sports Guy. With a little Subby or Young Drachma mixed in.

I'm sure at some point there will be another aggregator. For now, this one works, but we'll see for how long.

* edit: I forgot TV's Frank.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-01-2022 at 11:35 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote