View Single Post
Old 11-22-2022, 07:22 AM   #2716
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
As I've seen others mention this as the home for all general mass shooting information/discussion:

Colorado Springs shooting: Suspect faces murder and hate crime charges, court records show | CNN

5 killed, 25 injured (most but not all with gunshot wounds I believe I have read elsewhere) in a shooting at a LGBT night club in Colorado Springs, CO. The gunman was disarmed by two patrons.

Army veteran Richard Fierro describes the moment he took down the Club Q gunman | CNN

I don’t want to take the main focus off of the victims but this article with one of the guys who disarmed the gunman really hit me hard. The instinct, the terminology, the understanding that those skills learned in combat training and on the battlefield are not supposed to be something that your wife and kids should ever have to see you execute. Finally, the regret of not being able to do enough. This part here is where the tears began to flow. I felt every word.

Quote:
“I don’t want to ever do this,” Fierro said of using his combat skills. “I was done doing this stuff, it was too much,” he said. “It lives in you. If you actually do this stuff, it’s in you … I’m not a GI Joe, I’m just a normal guy.”

Naw Major, you are not just a normal guy. Your actions Saturday night proved otherwise.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote