View Single Post
Old 01-27-2023, 02:53 PM   #12
MoonlightGraham
High School Varsity

December 1, 2011

I'm still thinking about how I'd like to report my game results, at least while I'm still mainly coaching players I didn't recruit myself. I think I'm going to keep ti simple, short, and sweet for now.

November 14, 2011
St. Peter's 70, Lafayette 61

Graham Sims's coaching debut doesn't go as planned, as the visitors from Jersey City hand the Leopards a loss. Robert Castleman leads the home team with 16 points, and reserve Clark Nolan goes 5-7 from the floor and adds 11. DeWitt Leiva makes only one shot and fouls out, but he grabs 11 rebounds.

November 16, 2011
Lafayette 77, Loyola-Maryland 44

A much better peformance. We lead 44-15 at the half and never look back. The Leopards attempt 50 (!!) free throws, sinking 35 of them. Stephen Thames (17 points) and Stephen Diaz (15) are the leading scorers. DeWitt Leiva pulls in 11 rebounds again.
Record: 1-1.

November 19, 2011
Lafayette 57, Eastern Washington 55

Stephen Diaz scores only 8 points, but two of them come with 33 seconds left. A crucial defensive stop on the Eagles' final possession lets us return home from our cross-country trip with a W. DeWitt Leiva (20 points, 13 rebounds) has his first dominant game for us.
Record: 2-1.

November 22, 2011
Lafayette 70, Monmouth 62

We treat the home crowd to a win that's more comfortable than the score might indicate. All five starters score in double figures. Seniors DeWitt Leiva (18 points, 12 rebounds) and Robert Castleman (14 points, 12 rebounds) record our first double-doubles of the season.
Record: 3-1.

November 25, 2011
Lafayette 59, Appalachian State 55

Coach Sims' Leopards make it four wins in a row, edging a close one against the Mountaineers. Robert Castleman tallies 13 points, and Stephen Diaz adds 12. It's an unaesthetically pleasing victory, but a victory nonetheless.
Record: 4-1.

Recruiting Update
There's very little news on this front. Neither Venceslás Castillo nor Hubert Song are ready to commit, although neither hold a scholarship offer from any other school. Song is now expressing interests in bigger programs like Tennessee and Notre Dame, but until one of them reciprocates, I won't worry much. Castillo still hasn't added any other programs to his list.

We like what we see in Edgar Pratt, but before we can recruit him, we learn he's given a commitment to Yale. We shift our attention to Earl Greene, a 6'10" post player from Maryland who has received no offers yet. Earl's interest in our program is Average, so if our evaluation of his skills is positive, we might be able to convince him to sign with us.

I'm tempted to spend nearly all our monthly budget to bring Castillo to campus. Perhaps that would be what it takes to land him...but that would leave very little money to spend wooing Song.

Perhaps it's not the right move, but I decide to have Coach Sims and Coach Manion pay a call to the Song family again this month. That leaves enough money for Coach Sims to fly out to Spain again.
MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote