View Single Post
Old 02-24-2023, 08:51 AM   #36
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I don't understand the details as well as many of you, so let me approach this from an ownership perspective and ask: what is the goal we're shooting for with this team?

After reading this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

I come to some conclusions:

1. The bar's probably pretty low for actually making the playoffs since we can have the reasonable expectation that the other 3 teams in the division are going to have tough years. So, ambitions need to be set higher than that.

2. If Goff and the offense can at least replicate last year, they'll be a) able to win games on their own and b) hold up their end of the bargain in the playoffs. However, they're not going to be the type of unit that drags the team through the playoffs to the Super Bowl.

Which means:

3. The defense needs a serious, serious upgrade.

So, a strategic question to me is: to what extent can they upgrade the defense and is it enough to get past the first round for the first time in 21 years and if so is that their short-term goal? Or, could they aim even higher in a NFC lacking elite QBs and get that defensive unit even better than the offensive unit and make a good shot at making the Super Bowl?

Put more simply: is the goal here incremental improvements with success being winning a playoff round, or is there an opportunity to go all-in for a shot at the title?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote