View Single Post
Old 03-06-2023, 11:06 AM   #214
miami_fan
Coordinator

I find myself wondering which category the article describe do my fellow Floridians specifically and U.S. citizens in general fit.

Quote:
But it is true there is a lot of ambiguity in the law, and hence my assumption there would be a lot of lawsuits to ensure the law treats straight, LGBTQ+ equally. I am truly surprised there hasn't been more lawsuits to challenge stuff. Maybe not an issue as it is being applied equally, or its not that big of a deal for most teachers, or maybe the opposition just isn't as well organized as it should be etc.

According to the article, here is what happened in Nazi Germany.

Quote:
Pressures to defer to authority and obey laws and decrees were present even without the added intimidation by Nazi activists. Many people wanted to protect their jobs or advance their careers. Others did not want to “swim against the tide” by failing to conform to Nazi racist norms. Most cut off relations with Jewish friends and neighbors, in public if not in private.

The factor of fear and intimidation should not be overstated, however, for it implies that people wanted to help the persecuted. For many Germans, their livelihoods and the well-being of their families were simply a much higher priority than a group who represented a tiny fraction of the population and who was constantly demonized as a “dangerous threat.” As Germany’s economy and global standing improved during the 1930s, the majority of Germans—including many who never voted for Hitler and who did not identify as Nazi—supported the positive changes and overlooked the threats to Jews and other Nazi targets.

And here is my explanation for why there are not more lawsuits. I think the edits are clear.

Quote:
Pressures to defer to authority and obey laws and decrees were present even without the added intimidation by anti LGBT activists. Many people wanted to protect their jobs or advance their careers. Others did not want to “swim against the tide” by failing to conform to anti LGBT norms. Most cut off relations with LGBT friends and neighbors, in public if not in private.

The factor of fear and intimidation should not be overstated, however, for it implies that people wanted to help the persecuted. For many Floridians, their livelihoods and the well-being of their families were simply a much higher priority than a group who represented a tiny fraction of the population and who was constantly demonized as a “dangerous threat.” As Florida’s economy and global standing improved during the 2020s, the majority of Floridians—including many who never voted for DeSantis and who did not identify as anti LGBT—supported the positive changes and overlooked the threats to LGBT and other progressive targets.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote