View Single Post
Old 03-06-2023, 02:37 PM   #238
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I do agree there are elements of truth in what you've quoted and may be why there isn't more law suits.

However, I suspect on a scale of 1-10 and the analogy to Nazi Germany, you are thinking its 8+ whereas I'm thinking its 2-. We are a lawsuit happy country and we are IMO nowhere close to Nazi Germany in shutting down, threatening etc. dissent.

I think it's more likely there are things in the works but not yet filed, or there's not been that level of systemic unequal treatment that LGBTQ+ teachers are significantly worried about or believe they can win.

No, I don't think it's a 8+. I honestly have no idea of the number. It is terrifying that you think it is 2- and it's like oh well.

Are we nowhere close to Nazi Germany in the treatment of the LGBT community? Well let's go back to the article I posted and see if we see any similarities.

Quote:
For instance, members of sports clubs, book groups, and other voluntary associations expelled Jews.
check

Quote:
Teenagers within schools and universities enjoyed their newfound freedom to harass Jewish classmates or even adults.
check

Quote:
Large numbers went along passively with the exclusion of Jews from their workplaces and with their isolation within schools and communities. Others cheered as onlookers to events such as public parades to shame those accused of “racial defilement.”
check and check

Unsurprisingly, no one questions why the Jews in Germany during this time did not file a lawsuit to get these policies reversed. I am not sure why you would expect a ton of lawsuits from a community under similar attack now.

Quote:
If your point is some groups of people are being stigmatized, I will not disagree with you.

If your argument is some groups of people are stigmatized to the level of Jews in Nazi Germany, I'd stay we are no where close. And certainly not by Aug 2030.

I think you are falling victim to the same thing the Germans did back then and what we all talking about the American public today. I am sure (because I have gotten a chance to have many conversations with Germans alive during that time) did not think it was that bad for the Jews.

[quote]the majority of Germans—including many who never voted for Hitler and who did not identify as Nazi—supported the positive changes and overlooked the threats to Jews and other Nazi targets.[/QUOTE

Quote:
So in 1933 the article said this happened.

So using your dates of 1929 to 1933 and the 4 year span, we should see something like this happen by 2027 at the latest.

I honestly don't see it but understand you do. And hence your 8+ and my 2-. I'll pencil in coming back here Mar 2027 to see where we are (just like the Aug 2030 mea culpa appointment).

I must admit. The need for a concentration camp to open up before we take the threat seriously is a bit jarring to say the least. If we are talking about timelines, I would like to introduce the one for the attacks on the LGBT community. I know I pushed ahead to the Jews but the language was so similar to language that was used for the Jews, it was a natural leap. Also, well I will save that for later. If we have this point in the attacks on the LGBT community (spoiler alert:we have) we should probably be concerned about what the next step is since we know what the next step was in Nazi Germany after the attacks on the LGBT community. Let me introduce you to Magnus Hirshcfield.

https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/conte...s-hirschfeld-2

Institut für Sexualwissenschaft - Wikipedia

I posted the related Wiki article as well. It provides a bit more info about the institute itself, the work it was doing (not new stuff) and the Nazi reaction to it. The attacks started in the early 1920s. When I say that things are going in a similar direction as it did in Nazi Germany, this is what I mean. We are here. Before the Jews were declared un-German, the LGBT community was declared un-German and the majority of the German population let it slide. The American public seems to be okay with letting the attacks on the LGBT community slide. How far are we going to allow those attacks to go? Who is next and are we going to let those attacks slide as well?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote