View Single Post
Old 03-06-2023, 03:36 PM   #241
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
It's curious, however, Edward, that in another thread you characterize something that may or may not happen by 2035 as "imminent" and a "crisis" while

The crisis is the bi-partisanship negotiations that will eventually happen, agree on, and the pain(s) some groups will have to feel. There is no solution(s) that have been proposed that will not have significant political fallout. And with political fallout, there is the natural tendency to kick the can down the road and special interests participating.

This will happen, there is not may or may not happen. And it won't be easy, hence "imminent" (going to happen soon) and "crisis" (lots of pain involved)

Quote:
these policies being enacted now in Florida and having impacts on a wide variety of populations, also now is, apparently, not either imminent nor a crisis.

If you are referring to the recent stuff that DeSantis has proposed, I have not read enough (vs. Don't Say Gay bill) to form a firm opinion. I will say that in the bits & pieces I've read, especially on what can be taught in State Universities, I disagree with. Universities is where it should be wide open learning, for and against, view from "both sides".

If you are referring to the Don't Say Gay bill re: instruction to 3rd graders, don't see that as a crisis at all. I'll copy and paste
Quote:
Therefore, the reason why I do not believe it's an assault of public schooling, individual liberties is

4) I am discussing the law as passed (which is neutral wording, applies to straight and LGBTQ+), not individual motives

5) I don't see these "restrictions" put on teachers as unreasonable (I have many restrictions on what I can say to clients, co-workers). Teach what is in the approved curriculum. If its in the grey area, or you think it may be controversial, avoid the discussion and punt to parent/admin
Question to you:

Why do you not believe upcoming SS gap (circa 2034'ish) is not an imminent crisis? Is it because you believe there are easy solutions and will be solved before then?

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-06-2023 at 03:53 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote