View Single Post
Old 03-08-2023, 12:40 PM   #272
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Haven't most religions practiced in the US changed their doctrine to comply with the law? I honestly don't know. If so, wouldn't that mean that polygamy is no longer a custom/tradition of the religion? If not, what happened to all the people who want to practice polygamy but can't due to the law?
I actually started typing Mormon Polygamy but thought to just leave it neutral (e.g. Muslims in other countries are allowed).

I wasn't thinking you were limiting to present day. I thought you were asking for any examples of where culture & tradition changed and did that result in people removed from society.

Polygamy was outlawed, applied (theoretically) equally. Those people are still around (heck, they're even on reality TV shows). So to answer what happened to them ... they complied to the laws, and for the diehards, they found a way around it by not officially marrying multiple wives but still living together, or not getting married by a traditional church.

Quote:
I am going to put both of these together. According to the link for child marriage and my knowledge of honor killings, the families are seeking to save face and maintain respect within the community. Without the option of these two, won't they become outcasts in the community? Again, I don't know the rules when it come to these two practices.
For underage marriage, if it was made illegal and applied equally/consistently to everyone else, why would anyone be called out? They would just go marry an 18+ year old.

Same for honor killings. If it was made illegal and (really, really) severely punished (and I mean by death for all accomplices vs sometimes buying off the victim's parents and being "forgiven") and applied equally/consistently, why would anyone be called out for not doing it? Admittedly, this will take a while to change though.

Quote:
I considered a person's religious group a major part of the society. If you are making that distinction, that I can't say I disagree with the conclusion.

TBH when you said "removing those people from society", I thought you really meant "from society" and not a subset of it. I guess (hypothetically, worse case) being removed from the Jewish community is a significant thing but there is also another 300M Americans that you won't be removed from.

Quote:
Yeah I completely disagree with this and I believe Native American history see this completely different.

Fair enough. More research and articles for the true impact. Definitely "bad" but did it rise to that level.

Quote:
I noticed you consistently said that you did not see those communities as being removed from society. Mine is a simple one and has little to do with how I would view it and much more about those communities would view it.

Make any public display or discussion of religious nature illegal.

Now I am not advocating for such a law. I am fully aware of the constitutional impossibility of such a law. I generally don't have an issue with public display or discussion of a religious nature except those rare occasions when people demand I bow my head and close my eyes for prayer. But let's be honest, it would eliminate one of those third rails that we all say we don't discuss in public. It would probably help with the assimilation process in all environments (work, sports, etc.) if we eliminate those things

If those customs and traditions that included religious public displays or religious public discussion were made illegal, it has been made perfectly clear by religious people on this board and in my personal life that it would definitely be considered as removing them from the society.
If you are saying not being able to display a cross in public school or at work, I can buy that.

If you are saying not being able to display a cross around my neck as I walk around in a public park or taking a bus or going into grocery store, I think that would go too far. I am not imposing on anyone, and if I was, it is transitory enough not to matter.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-08-2023 at 01:00 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote